Hi Gang,
Being in Australia it is going to take a while for the new FTD book 'Writing For The King' to arrive here.
But, unlike some (yes, it is expensive!) I am really looking forward to getting it as a Christmas present.
Yesterday I talked to author Ken Sharp & asked him to clarify a few points for me.
It turned out to be a very interesting interview - which is posted on EIN right now.

It does sound exciting, as in it you can find out about.
A) The original 'Heartbreak Hotel' demo
B) The choice of tracks on the LIVE CD was on purpose
C) The "Alternate" Clambake song
D) More about the contents.

Here is a little extract...

EIN - Do you think fans are going to be surprised by how much they can learn about Elvis' creativeness from the book?

K.S ? For the fans that truly want to get a new window into Elvis?s creative process, Elvis the musical artist, I believe the book delivers on that promise. Hearing stories from many songwriters about the inspiration behind the songs that Elvis later recorded offers a broader and more detailed musical picture of the man. And then having a CD containing demos of 25-26 songs ups the ante even further. It?s fascinating to hear how Elvis interpreted these demos. Sometimes he stuck to the feel and groove and vocal nuances of a song, for example on "Devil In Disguise". Other times he reinvented a song and brought it to a higher creative level on something like "Burning Love."
The book also includes fascinating documents from Hill & Range and many handwritten lyrics too. My favourite visuals in the book include the original working lyric for "Suspicious Minds" plus Stan Kesler?s original handwritten lyrics for the Elvis?s Sun Records songs, "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" and "I?m Left, You?re Right, She?s Gone."

GO HERE for the full Ken sharp "Writing For The King" interview.

Cheers
Piers