Thread: Did anyone see

Red face Did anyone see

Sonny West on This Morning.......in the UK? omg ...it was a shock to see him on live t.v he was discussing Elvis and the 50 years of rockin 'roll music.., everything he said was good points about Elvis and they didn't mention the book " Elvis what happened" (thank god) anyway apparently he is doing charity shows in blackpool right now.

I know some of the Elvis fans don't like sonny.(sorry)..but in my view i think its incorrect..to judge some1 u dont know or.......when u dont know the whole story
    Last edited by Scottishthistle; 07-05-2004 at 03:17 PM.
    Elvis grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Did he say when his new book is coming out, or is that already known?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I neglected to welcome you to the board, Scottishthistle!

Also, Sonny looks better there than he did a few years ago in the All The King's Men videos. Just an observation.

I agree about people being critical of the guys in general. Now some did things that cannot be justified or explained away and were clearly not looking out for Elvis's best interests. The rest, who were at least a cut above that, all seem to have both good and bad qualities.

It is easy to place a lot of the blame for Elvis's demise on them, and I have not been above doing that to some degree myself.

But the fact is, we were not there. We do not know exactly how things were, and how much pressure there was to do or not do this or that, or to be a certain way.

It really isn't fair to say from our detached perspectives that if those guys cared, they would not have allowed certain things to happen. Think about it...do you really think it was just that simple?

I wish Elvis was still here--we all do, and so I understand the tendency to focus on the negative, the things those people did not do and make a direct connection between them and Elvis's death.

But we shouldn't hate those guys, even the ones who wrote "that book", as there are two or more sides to every story. Even if we believe we have all the facts on them, the truth still remains that we were not in the eye of the storm as they were.

These are men who meant something to Elvis, and who did do a helluva job protecting him. I think most people would agree that Red West loved Elvis as much as anybody. He co-wrote that book, but people still for the most part respect him for his relationship with Elvis, and the things he did for and with him.

I think Sonny probably deserves that kind of respect as well.

Now, some of the guys have sort of shown their true colors since Elvis's passing, but if they were faithful to Elvis back then, that really doesn't change the past. However, how they conduct their lives now, especially if is capitalizing on their association with Elvis in a shamelessly self-promoting fashion, may make us sympathize with them a little less.

But theirs is a tough position. Elvis was such an intimate part of their lives, and then he was gone. I sort of go back and forth between thinking they should keep some of their memories to themselves and believing that they certainly have the right to tell the story of their lives, just as you or I do. I usually end up deciding on the latter. If they tell them with sincerity and compassion and without an obvious attempt to be sensational, then I am OK with that. That is not to say that certain things they have written have not been difficult to accept, but that doesn't mean they haven't the right to do so. Think of all the great stories we would not have the pleasure of knowing if they had remained tight-lipped all these years. I know the good outweigh the bad...

And they do have to make a living. Where does one draw the line between an acceptable means of making money on a past association with a person, and something far less respectable? The answer partly depends on your point of view.

"If you never stood in that man's shoes..."

Hey .well......thank you bobby

I guess you and I think along the same lines...thank you for your kind welcome
    this really is a great forum ..there is nothing else like it on the internet I love talking to people that are Elvis crazy like me :worthy:

Glad you have so quickly picked up on the fact that we have got a good thing going here. You're welcome for the welcome.

Elvis-crazy like you? Don't you know I'm loco?

yeah...... u guys all rule...u all love Elvis very much and thats amazing!

Smile Sonny west

hi guy's .

im hoping to bring sonny west to scotland next year with a possible add on to ireland, i have met sonny and judy a few times now and each time he has granted me a lot of time ,i have seen him sit for 3 hours at an Essential Elvis uk gig and not once ever complain..

he has admited that he wasnt happy about the way steve dunleavy had written the book and that it was too late to try and change the way steve had put it out but he does say that his next book that he is writting now with Red will be nothing but the goodtimes..

www.thisiselvis.co.uk
    pacer

Didn't know Red was involved with the new book. That's nice to hear.

Roustabouts

Sonny West

Hello,

I agree with you that nobody but the ones who were there can really know what life was like in Elvis' world, and I also agree that SOME of the men he had around him did not deserve the treatment they got after his death. I do not understand how some people who wrote books, which by the way were not too flattering to Elvis, can be so bold as to say that others were wrong for doing it too. Red and Sonny West were with Elvis from high school and good or bad, right or wrong they stood by him until they just could not watch his downfall any longer and I think that is worth something.

kakeli
    them ain't tactics honey, it's just the beast in me !!