Thread: Elvis Presley,famous in life,even more famous in death

Elvis Presley,famous in life,even more famous in death

Elvis Presley
    Rock Musician / Singer / Actor
    Famous in life, Elvis Presley has become even more famous in death as an icon of American music and TV-era celebrity. Presley hit the charts as a rock 'n roll rebel in the 1950s. His 9 September 1956 appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (with Presley shown only from the waist up to hide his swivelling hips) turned him into one of the era's biggest stars. His many hits included "Jailhouse Rock," "Hound Dog" and "Blue Suede Shoes." He also appeared in dozens of lighthearted movies designed to let him cavort and play the guitar onscreen, including King Creole (1958, with Walter Matthau) and Blue Hawaii (1961, with Angela Lansbury). In the late 1960s, after a period of declining fame, he remade himself into "The King," a melodramatic icon known for his sequined karate-style jumpsuits and megaconcerts. The loyalty of his fans is famous; though he died in 1977, sightings of a supposedly surviving Elvis became a kind of international running joke. Elvis's Memphis home, Graceland, has become a permanent shrine to the singer.
    Extra credit: Col. Tom Parker was Elvis's longtime manager and personal power broker... Elvis's daughter Lisa Marie Presley was married to pop star Michael Jackson from 1994-1996, and then briefly to Nicolas Cage in 2002... Elvis was married one time, to the former Priscilla Beaulieu, from 1967-73; Priscilla Presley later appeared in the TV soap Dallas and the Naked Gun film series... A remix of Elvis's 1968 recording "A Little Less Conversation" became a hit after being featured in Nike ads during the 2002 World Cup; the song went to #1 on the British music charts... Elvis's twin brother, Jesse Garon, died at birth... Elvis's middle name is spelled "Aaron" on his tombstone; according to his official site, the name was spelled Aron at birth but as an adult Elvis planned to change the spelling to Aaron, and the tombstone was designed to reflect that wish.

Other musical icons of Elvis's era include Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Bo Diddley, Ritchie Valens and Jackie Wilson.

For other postmortem celebrity sightings, see our loop Supposed to be Ghosts.

Four Good Links
    Elvis Presley's Graceland
    Very newsy official page

Elvis Tunes
    A German fan dishes up concert archives, reviews and jumpsuit photos

All Music Guide: Elvis Presley
    Full biography, discography, and related artists

Washington Post: Elvis
    Archive includes his full 1977 obituary, film reviews, links and other tidbits
    Vital Stats
    Birth
    8 January 1935

Birthplace
    Tupelo, Mississippi

Death
    16 August 1977
    (heart attack)

Best Known As
    "The King of Rock 'n Roll"
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

Elvis Presley

I would agree that he is more popular now not because of his death, or even the way he died. I think he is more popular now because the pop music culture has come to a screeching halt, turning out artists who have no more talent in them than most Jerry Springer guests. We have turned to shows like "American Idol" to bring us new stars, and instead of finding the kind of raw talent that was Elvis' we have to turn our TV sets down. We also find ourselves longing for the innocence the country lost in events like 9/11. We find that innocence in music such as Elvis', or The Carpenters' or even Jim Croce. We allow ourselves to be lost in Elvis words, his voice, and in doing so, allow ourselves brief moments of unfettered joy. Who else can gross $42 million nearly thirty years after his death? Who else has such fervent fans who flock to Graceland by the millions? Who elese can turn a child who wasn't even alive when he was into one of his biggest fans? It's Elvis. It always will be Elvis. Because as John Lennon stated," Before Elvis, there was nothing".
    Last edited by vulcandude; 11-16-2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: had to fix sentence.

For too long the focus was not on his genius as a recording artist and performer but on his personal life, thus his work got lost for about a decade. Now that the focus has shifted on his music and impact as the worlds greatest entertainer, people are getting into him or at least giving him the proper respect he deserves. Those awesome videos at youtube help as well, they show his undeniable charisma and power as a live performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    For too long the focus was not on his genius as a recording artist and performer but on his personal life, thus his work got lost for about a decade. Now that the focus has shifted on his music and impact as the worlds greatest entertainer, people are getting into him or at least giving him the proper respect he deserves. Those awesome videos at youtube help as well, they show his undeniable charisma and power as a live performer.
    Very true Joe. I silently cringed for decades at the disparaging remarks about Elvis made by DJs on our radio shows here in Ireland. Then we got email!

Many of those DJs will not forget me in a hurry One radio show presenter actually read out on-air a short essay I had sent him which was based on Emile Zola's "I Accuse" (Translated from the French) I wish I had kept a copy. My sister heard it in England and called me on the telephone so I missed most of the broadcast!!!

So you youngsters, don't be shy of letting radio DJs know your thoughts. Request Elvis.
    Almost every DJ here in Ireland has played an Elvis song or two, for us.
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 11-17-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Maurice, Is this an avaible book?
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Wendy, It is a vinyl Album. I should have mentioned that. It's actually the back cover.