Thread: Unreleased Sun recordings

Unreleased Sun recordings

I have "Elvis: The Illustrated Record" book and they list some unreleased Sun recordings. It says that on January 4, 1954 he recorded "Casual Love Affair." On July 5, 1954 "Tennessee Saturday Night" and a slow take of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" as well as "Satisfied." On September 9, 1954 was "Uncle Pen." On December 8, 1954 was "Oakie Boogie." and December 18, 1954 was "My Baby's Gone." They also list 13 other songs that were probably recorded. Where are all these songs, especially the ones that they say were recorded and are unreleased? Why aren't they on the "Complete Sun Sessions" that just came out? By the way, it says that in 1954 Elvis recorded a radio commercial for a doughnut company. Does that still exist? Also they say that there are live recordings of songs that were never done in the studio. Does anyone know what is really going on?
    Elliot

The recordings you mentioned have never surfaced if they even exist.That was a long time ago and the tapes were probably erased or destroyed by now.So much time has passed that we may never have any great finds like that turn up.People have been searching for unreleased Elvis material for years and unfortunately nothing of that magnitude may be left.I dont even know how accurate the info in the book is.He did do the commercial spot but to my knowledge the recording has never turned up.Elvis did perform some rare songs in concert but again there are not many recordings or even photos from lots of those shows so long ago.The new Sun book and recording project that will be released by Ernst will probably be the definitive release on Sun.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by EP6873 View Post
    I have "Elvis: The Illustrated Record" book and they list some unreleased Sun recordings. It says that on January 4, 1954 he recorded "Casual Love Affair."
    It wasn't recorded on that date. The songs done at that amateur session turned out to be I'll Never Stand in Your Way and It Wouldn't Be the Same Without You. It's thought that another acetate was recorded in June, which might have been Casual Love Affair, but this hasn't shown up.

On July 5, 1954 "Tennessee Saturday Night" and a slow take of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" as well as "Satisfied." On September 9, 1954 was "Uncle Pen." On December 8, 1954 was "Oakie Boogie." and December 18, 1954 was "My Baby's Gone."
    The slower version of Blue Moon of Kentucky is on Sunrise, and a number of takes of My Baby's Gone are on Sunrise and the Complete Sun Sessions CD from the 80s. This is a slowed down version of I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone, with slightly altered lyrics. The others haven't shown up and are probably lost. Some were likely recorded over by Sam Phillips as he re-used tapes.

By the way, it says that in 1954 Elvis recorded a radio commercial for a doughnut company. Does that still exist? Also they say that there are live recordings of songs that were never done in the studio. Does anyone know what is really going on?
    The commercial was for Southern Maid Donuts and was recorded at the Louisiana Hayride in November 1954. Something tells me I have heard this, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me as I can't remember where or when and I'm not aware a release that it's on. There were a number of songs sung live but not on record. Examples include Tweedle Dee and Maybellene, both of which have been on a number of releases, as well as Rock Around the Clock and Only You. A poor quality version of Rock Around the Clock has surfaced, but not sure if it will be released. Only You hasn't shown up as far as I know, but I'd love to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    It wasn't recorded on that date. The songs done at that amateur session turned out to be I'll Never Stand in Your Way and It Wouldn't Be the Same Without You. It's thought that another acetate was recorded in June, which might have been Casual Love Affair, but this hasn't shown up.

The slower version of Blue Moon of Kentucky is on Sunrise, and a number of takes of My Baby's Gone are on Sunrise and the Complete Sun Sessions CD from the 80s. This is a slowed down version of I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone, with slightly altered lyrics. The others haven't shown up and are probably lost. Some were likely recorded over by Sam Phillips as he re-used tapes.

The commercial was for Southern Maid Donuts and was recorded at the Louisiana Hayride in November 1954. Something tells me I have heard this, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me as I can't remember where or when and I'm not aware a release that it's on. There were a number of songs sung live but not on record. Examples include Tweedle Dee and Maybellene, both of which have been on a number of releases, as well as Rock Around the Clock and Only You. A poor quality version of Rock Around the Clock has surfaced, but not sure if it will be released. Only You hasn't shown up as far as I know, but I'd love to hear that.

Thank you very much, do you know where that recording of "Rock Around The Clock" is?
    Elliot

Thank you very much, do you know where that recording of "Rock Around The Clock" is?
    The acetate is in private hands, but Ernst has heard a copy of it recorded on dictaphone. The sound quality is atrocious, so it's not likely to get a release or even be worth hearing. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't a better version out there somewhere.

Unreleased Sun material

You mean there's more???????? It's so hard to find good quality CDs with his early stuff....it was so uncontrolled and raw....truly Elvis.