Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interview with col tom parker 1993

interview with col tom parker 1993

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/musi...tom_parker.htm
    here what tom parker had to say on certain issues.
    elvislady

col

today i watched the definitive elvis collection and i heard Larry gellar say that Elvis once was sleeping and he didn't wake up anymore because of the sleeping pills. The Colonel cam in and sayed to Larry that no matter what but that Elvis had to play that night.
    can someone tell me who knows this story on wich concert date this thing was going?
    you would help me alot

Greets Dave

Quote Originally Posted by elvis himselvis View Post
    today i watched the definitive elvis collection and i heard Larry gellar say that Elvis once was sleeping and he didn't wake up anymore because of the sleeping pills. The Colonel cam in and sayed to Larry that no matter what but that Elvis had to play that night.
    can someone tell me who knows this story on wich concert date this thing was going?
    you would help me alot

Greets Dave
    i think the show was louisville 1977 col went stormed into the bedroom slmmed the door shut, he emerged 2 mins later and told larry the only thing thats important that he is on that stage tonight, with that he was gone.
    elvislady

Thanks, elvislady for posting that link...

I didn't think much of the Colonel, but it was interesting to read those interviews...

franny

There?s one thing I don?t understand.
    Parker said that Elvis didn?t want to perform outdoors like Europe.
    I think Elvis really wanted to play outdoors.
    He was only touring through the United States.
    I don?t know if it?s true, I?ve heard that Elvis himself was planning a tour through Europe in 1977, without Parker knowing.
    Some of you all never been down South too much...
    I'm gonna tell you a little story, so you'll understand where I'm talking about

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I would love to see that whole interview but I believe the Col. had created his own world and he stuck to it to the ene so he could "sleep at night". There are some glaring untruths in just that short segment.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

re

thanks elvislady

when i heard the story what i told you i thought: o my god why is he so mean to elvis??he was a sick man!!
    But i was thinking for a while and i began to think that the colonel just did that to let elvis see what he was doing to himself and if elvis felt really bad he maybe would have stopped his abnormal life and stopped with the presribed drugs and make himself healty.
    But unfortunately it didn't stop...

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stutz1973 View Post
    There?s one thing I don?t understand.
    Parker said that Elvis didn?t want to perform outdoors like Europe.
    I think Elvis really wanted to play outdoors.
    He was only touring through the United States.
    I don?t know if it?s true, I?ve heard that Elvis himself was planning a tour through Europe in 1977, without Parker knowing.
    While i'd like to believe that Elvis would of gone to Europe to play in 77' or 78' I really don't believe that it would of happened.

The Colonel had Elvis paranoid about carrying firearms and drugs into Europe - even with prescriptions - and Elvis was not in any state of physical health in 1977 to play any concerts let alone take on a gruelling tour in Europe.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

re the colonel

i've always found the COLONEL to be a gentleman[i can hear the roars and laughter already] the reason i say this is to many of us fans he always sent the latest records , photos , even tickets[thats how i got to see both ALOHA SHOWS] and the colonels staff was always prompt with a reply to your letters, and always helpful, let me tell you that on sept 2 1974 there was a japaneese fan club that came to see ELVIS fall engaement and many had enough to only see 2 performances after the opening show he gave orders[no tickets needed] that 12 of the japaneese fans were to see the rest of the engaement [free] yes that's right you read correctly, His number one concern was to keep ELVIS going and the fans happy believe me, the colonel wasn't as bad as many would like you to believe, just ask people like ANNE NIXON[UK] JOHN GADORE [REAL ELVIS FAN CLUB], DANI SUMUTOLLI [ITALY LOVES ELVIS FAN CLUB, they also were given free tickets time to time , john had free ticket to both aloha and in concert [be it omaha], and i think the colonel is right when CRAIG asks him about exploiting ELVIS, E.P.E. has done far more of that then him and look what they give fans / fan clubs a lousy cd at christmas time, i mean they can provide review copies to fan clubs / fans of their dvd's cd's etc.... To bad the colonel is gone he sure was a great guy to me and many other fans., just my opinon though.

International Level

Cool

Sounds like he was treating a lot of ye well.

Such a shame he hadn't the same regard for Elvis. After all, Elvis was the product, ye were the consumers and he was looking after his customers. Good business sense thats what it is, kindness....well call me negative but I think he knew that by giving free tickets it would pay ten fold in either free publicity or the amount of mercandise that would be bought, not just on the night but over time.

I don't buy anything about that man except that he was a dirty money hungry crook.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

I have to agree with 0349054. The colonel didn't have a heart enough to do anything except for business reasons.

Thanks! You've posted some interesting interviews. I like to read them. (Is useful for this journalism student )
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I have to agree with 0349054. The colonel didn't have a heart enough to do anything except for business reasons.
    Yes indeed you guys are right 100%, I agree.... sad but true $$$$$$$$ was the colonel's god. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

re money

lest not we forget ELVIS was an entertainer and was accustomed to a certain lifestyle, he could have terminated the contract with the colonel at any time, but he didn't[who knows why] all i can say is that colonel was always promoting ELVIS, i do kinda believe the rumours that the colonel would sell elvis contract[ but i believe nobody, wanted the trouble perhaps]and 33, the tickets were provided first for fans, because they neded some exitement for the show[pasetta felt the shows that he saw before hand were lacking exitement] and ELVIS would be more relaxed with fans in the audience.we got the tickets but transport was up to us, trust BMG/E.P.E , DO THE SAME PROMOTIONS as the colonel, just not as good, the colonel lived and breathed elvis.again just my opinion.

Overall I think the Colonel gets a little to much blame.I do think Elvis would have been better off if he would have gotten rid of the Colonel after he got back from the army.The Colonel's obvious fault was his lack of concern for Elvis' artistic integrity.The Colonel was just interested in the business side of things.However the Colonel was a paid employee and Elvis was the boss.The only real thing that prevented Elvis from doing anything was Elvis' lack of motivation.Elvis was a powerfull man and didnt answer to anyone.Elvis was probably guily of not wanting to rock the boat as long as the money rolled in and he maintained his lifestyle.Look at his setlist during the 70's.The same songs night after night after night.The Colonel had nothing to do with that.It just shows that Elvis was a creature of habit and to me it shows that he just stopped trying.I think that attitude affected everything he did.Look at his studio output during the 70's.He didnt even want to record anymore.The guy just gave up.
    Jak

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    The Colonel was an old fashioned businessman from the old school, buisness was done with a handshake and your word was your bond. As commented, Elvis was the commodity. I don't want to make excuses for old Tom but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who handed out hugs on a regular basis, communication between these two guys seems to have completely broken down by the mid 70's with each having their own addictions to battle with! I certainly think the Colonel saw the writing on the wall by 1974 when Elvis went off the rails and from that point on milked Elvis for every penny!

Elvis and the Colonels life although intrinsically linked were polls apart, The colonel never interfered in Elvis' private life and vice versa, if their relationship had been different perhaps things would have happened differently?

There's was a truly symbiotic relationship, each needed each other to do what the other could not. I think that Elvis and the Colonels relationship was of a buisness kind first and foremost, everything else came a second best.

If those who were closest to Elvis could not influence Elvis' actions and his eventual self destruction, what hope had the Colonel who probably didn't understand Elvis' emotional and physical needs. There is an argument that the Colonel could have exerted a father figure kind of influence but their relationship had gone way past this kind of interference many years before, the Colonel had overlooked some of Elvis' behaviors, as long as Elvis performed the Colonel would not intervene. and so the die had been cast.

I am not a big fan of the Colonel but he was only human as well. Is it truly the Colonels fault that Elvis took the path that he did or is he blamed by the fans because of Elvis' eventual fate? I have never heard of any other manager of an artist who recieves such vitriol.

Matt

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    The only real thing that prevented Elvis from doing anything was Elvis' lack of motivation.Elvis was a powerfull man and didnt answer to anyone.Elvis was probably guily of not wanting to rock the boat as long as the money rolled in and he maintained his lifestyle.Look at his setlist during the 70's.The same songs night after night after night.The Colonel had nothing to do with that.It just shows that Elvis was a creature of habit and to me it shows that he just stopped trying.I think that attitude affected everything he did.Look at his studio output during the 70's.He didnt even want to record anymore.The guy just gave up.
    Jak
    I have to comment here..... Elvis did change his setlist during 1969-74 especially in 1974, the fans reacted badly to this and Elvis reverted back to the old setlist.

As for studio recordings there were plenty in the 70's the only time Elvis was reluctant was in 1976/77 and then the Jungleroom sessions were certainly not a washout!!!!

Matt

Thanks to everyone who has given there thoughts on this topic. its great to here all the diffrent views people have.
    elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    The Colonel was an old fashioned businessman from the old school, buisness was done with a handshake and your word was your bond. As commented, Elvis was the commodity. I don't want to make excuses for old Tom but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who handed out hugs on a regular basis, communication between these two guys seems to have completely broken down by the mid 70's with each having their own addictions to battle with! I certainly think the Colonel saw the writing on the wall by 1974 when Elvis went off the rails and from that point on milked Elvis for every penny!

Elvis and the Colonels life although intrinsically linked were polls apart, The colonel never interfered in Elvis' private life and vice versa, if their relationship had been different perhaps things would have happened differently?

There's was a truly symbiotic relationship, each needed each other to do what the other could not. I think that Elvis and the Colonels relationship was of a buisness kind first and foremost, everything else came a second best.

If those who were closest to Elvis could not influence Elvis' actions and his eventual self destruction, what hope had the Colonel who probably didn't understand Elvis' emotional and physical needs. There is an argument that the Colonel could have exerted a father figure kind of influence but their relationship had gone way past this kind of interference many years before, the Colonel had overlooked some of Elvis' behaviors, as long as Elvis performed the Colonel would not intervene. and so the die had been cast.

I am not a big fan of the Colonel but he was only human as well. Is it truly the Colonels fault that Elvis took the path that he did or is he blamed by the fans because of Elvis' eventual fate? I have never heard of any other manager of an artist who recieves such vitriol.

Matt
    Perfectly stated.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I have to comment here..... Elvis did change his setlist during 1969-74 especially in 1974, the fans reacted badly to this and Elvis reverted back to the old setlist.

As for studio recordings there were plenty in the 70's the only time Elvis was reluctant was in 1976/77 and then the Jungleroom sessions were certainly not a washout!!!!

Matt
    I disagree with you one these points somewhat.I think you are referring to the opening night show released as "If You Talk In Your Sleep" where the audience reacted badly?I think that can be debated as far as the audience reaction and why Elvis changed back.That was the only time he did a drastic change to his lineup.If you look at his setlist over the years you will see how it stayed the same for extended periods with only a minor fluctuation.The 70 shows are almost identical.Every show in 72 is nearly identical.The same thing is true for pretty much every year he toured with 1975 being somewhat better because he picked up some steam that year for some reason.Even the jokes and his comments on stage stayed the same.Look at the I Got A Woman J.D. Summer routine.Basically every night for 4 years.Occasionally he would toss in a surprise but it was the same show night after night.Ive got a good friend who went to around 150 different Elvis concerts starting in 72.She told me she could tell you what he was going to do before he did it because he did the exact thing over and over.She even jokes she knew when he would raise his pinkie finger while holding the mike while joking around.Ive got every import cd released and the shows are just shockingly similiar.
    I think Elvis passion for studio recording was gone after 1971.He had to be forced by RCA to record.When he decided to show up it was hours late or he said he was sick.Elvis had to do some sessions because he was obligated by a contract to do so.Felton Jarvis had a heck of a time getting Elvis to record enough material to get albums out.I like the jungle room sessions.The reason its called the jungle room sessions is RCA had to bring a recording truck to Graceland to get some material out of Elvis.He wouldnt even go to the studio at that point and RCA was desperate.I hate it but Elvis just gave up.I dont think Elvis even knew what songs were on the albums he was releasing and didnt get involved with any of it in the 70's.Early on in his career he was hungry and it made him a perfectionist.Him overiding Steve Sholes in the 50's is well known.By the 70's Elvis couldnt care less about going into the studio.That attitude almost sabatoged the jungle room sessions also.The had a hard time getting him down there to work.Look at the Moody Blue lp.They had to recycle live cuts from previous lp's just to get enough songs to fill an album.
    Jak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast