Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: interview with col tom parker 1993

i just wanted to comment on something else, if E.P. really wanted to play overseas or go there than whay when he vacationed, he always went, to the same destinatons, and in the u.s. especially when he had a jet by 75, i agree that e.p. was a creature of habit, and jak is right about te talk in your sleep cdopening night 74[but also i believe the fans did not dig it] i guess he couldn't please everyone[what a bad position to be in].just my opinion though.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I disagree with you one these points somewhat.I think you are referring to the opening night show released as "If You Talk In Your Sleep" where the audience reacted badly?I think that can be debated as far as the audience reaction and why Elvis changed back.That was the only time he did a drastic change to his lineup.If you look at his setlist over the years you will see how it stayed the same for extended periods with only a minor fluctuation.The 70 shows are almost identical.Every show in 72 is nearly identical.The same thing is true for pretty much every year he toured with 1975 being somewhat better because he picked up some steam that year for some reason.Even the jokes and his comments on stage stayed the same.Look at the I Got A Woman J.D. Summer routine.Basically every night for 4 years.Occasionally he would toss in a surprise but it was the same show night after night.Ive got a good friend who went to around 150 different Elvis concerts starting in 72.She told me she could tell you what he was going to do before he did it because he did the exact thing over and over.She even jokes she knew when he would raise his pinkie finger while holding the mike while joking around.Ive got every import cd released and the shows are just shockingly similiar.
    I think Elvis passion for studio recording was gone after 1971.He had to be forced by RCA to record.When he decided to show up it was hours late or he said he was sick.Elvis had to do some sessions because he was obligated by a contract to do so.Felton Jarvis had a heck of a time getting Elvis to record enough material to get albums out.I like the jungle room sessions.The reason its called the jungle room sessions is RCA had to bring a recording truck to Graceland to get some material out of Elvis.He wouldnt even go to the studio at that point and RCA was desperate.I hate it but Elvis just gave up.I dont think Elvis even knew what songs were on the albums he was releasing and didnt get involved with any of it in the 70's.Early on in his career he was hungry and it made him a perfectionist.Him overiding Steve Sholes in the 50's is well known.By the 70's Elvis couldnt care less about going into the studio.That attitude almost sabatoged the jungle room sessions also.The had a hard time getting him down there to work.Look at the Moody Blue lp.They had to recycle live cuts from previous lp's just to get enough songs to fill an album.
    Jak
    I won't disagree on the setlist in general there were the old favourites for sure, but songs were dropped and others picked up. You only have to look at TTWII..... Elvis On Tour......... Aloha From Hawaii and Elvis in concert to see that. All said and done you have to give the audience what they wan't to keep em coming back!!

I have to disagree with the studio stuff again just one word Stax

Your right you probably had to force Elvis there, but when he was he came up with the goods e.g. Promised Land & If You Talk In Your Sleep etc.
    Admittedly not much thereafter until 76

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by memphis 77 View Post
    i just wanted to comment on something else, if E.P. really wanted to play overseas or go there than whay when he vacationed, he always went, to the same destinatons, and in the u.s. especially when he had a jet by 75, i agree that e.p. was a creature of habit, and jak is right about te talk in your sleep cdopening night 74[but also i believe the fans did not dig it] i guess he couldn't please everyone[what a bad position to be in].just my opinion though.

I agree with this though I think it went even further then Habit. He was also worked, repeatedly, by the Colonel, By Vernon, By "the Boys" . I believe from things I've read they were always working his mind that he couldn't do go places, couldn't record certian Music, couldn't be in a movie he wanted if he didn't get top billing, couldn't this and that or he'd be mobbed. In a way he allowed himself to be broken, and He didn't seem to very often stand up to this, I personally believe this contributed to his early death , but I guess I'm straying off the subject , sorry.

Elvis did cut a few good records at Stax but that's not entirely my point.Im pointing out his lack of desire to record in the studio period.During the entire 70's Elvis only made a few attempts to record any new material for lp's.His last attempt being the sessions at Graceland in which RCA had to come to him to make it easier to get some work out of Elvis.RCA was very frustrated with Elvis because of his lack of desire and it was hard to get him to meet his obligations to his contract.Elvis always managed some good performances,its just that he didnt care about making records anymore.A good number of his performances during these sessions are uninspired at best because of his mindset and maybe because he just wasnt getting good songs to perform.He had become a live artist almost exclusively in the 70's.
    Jak

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Elvis did cut a few good records at Stax but that's not entirely my point.Im pointing out his lack of desire to record in the studio period.During the entire 70's Elvis only made a few attempts to record any new material for lp's.His last attempt being the sessions at Graceland in which RCA had to come to him to make it easier to get some work out of Elvis.RCA was very frustrated with Elvis because of his lack of desire and it was hard to get him to meet his obligations to his contract.Elvis always managed some good performances,its just that he didnt care about making records anymore.A good number of his performances during these sessions are uninspired at best because of his mindset and maybe because he just wasnt getting good songs to perform.He had become a live artist almost exclusively in the 70's.
    Jak
    Some good points there Jak, I suppose one of the facts regarding Elvis obvious lack of good songs was that writers were not able to make as much money as with other artists! I suppose another contributing facter was the medication Elvis was taking had side effects on his moods.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Some good points there Jak, I suppose one of the facts regarding Elvis obvious lack of good songs was that writers were not able to make as much money as with other artists! I suppose another contributing facter was the medication Elvis was taking had side effects on his moods.

Matt
    That goes back to the Colonel insisting they had rights on almost all the songs Elvis would record . After awhile the good writers would just keep the songs and record them , themselves.

Both of you are exactly right.It's a shame Elvis didnt get better material in the 70's.This is one area where the Colonel was at fault letting greed get in the way of Elvis artistry.Songwriters during that time and even other major artists would have loved to have gotten songs to Elvis but the way the Colonel handled the business side of it pretty much killed any chances of it happening.
    Jak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12