Thread: Elvis' Top 5 acting roles

Elvis' Top 5 acting roles

Here's a list of the 5 best acting roles by Elvis that I made for newer fans to discover.

1) King Creole - Without a doubt this would have to be his best film as an actor and best overall script. Not only did he bring it as an actor but the songs were the best for any of the 31 motion pictures that he was in. Trouble, Crawfish, Dixieland Rock, Young Dreams, Don't Ask Me Why, New Orleans and the title track King Creole rounded out a stellar set list for a musical drama. EP played a troubled singing busboy at a Bourbon Street night club who falls in love with a prostitute and fights off the gangsters to protect her. A recommended film for any fan or non fan.

2) Jailhouse Rock - Once again EP delivers in this cult classic. His character Vince Everette is a tough arrogant in your face type of guy who ends up in prison for man slaughter after beating a guy to death. He becomes friends with his cell mate and after he gets out of prison he helps him launch a Country music career than ends up never getting off the ground. Vince meanwhile becomes a successful artist and very much like the real EP in the film. My all time favorite line came from the film "that's not cheap tactics honey, that's just the best in me" when he makes his move on his co-star Judy Tyler.

3) Flaming Star - This western was about a half breed who was mixed up in two worlds of race and culture. EP plays a character named Pacer who is half white and half Indian who has to decide which side he is on. Barbara Eden who later starred as Jenny from I Dream Of Jenny was his co-star. EP's acting is fantastic in this film,

4) Loving You - The second film that EP ever made would be his first true shot as a Hollywood star and actor and received rave reviews from critics. It showed great promise and potential for him as a serious actor. Although due to his management EP had to sing in this film as he would almost ever movie with the exception of Charro. EP plays a character named Deke Rivers.

5) Wild In The Country - In this 1961 film, EP got to display his ability to be serious and out of control at times. Like the scene where he gets drunk and loses control. It was the first time for fans to see EP in such a role. And a good one it was. EP plays a guy who killed a man and got away with it but confesses to a psychiatrist before falling for her. This is probably the most underrated film of EP's acting career.

NOTE:The new DVD Collection idea of the best films ever is a complete JOKE. Harum Scarum- I heavily recommend these top 5 films for any new fan discovering EP's movie career.

Interesting top-5, that's for sure. Acting-wise I more or less gotta agree with you - I do like a lot of his movies, but not all have an interesting storyline (such as girl meets boy, boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl again, boy kisses girl, happily ever after)...

I think James Dean inspired Elvis to a great extent and it shows in the respect that Elvis is usually the violent youth (the rebel), playing the role with this raw naturalism. It's hard finding an Elvis-movie without fights, as I may conclude that it's what boys are supposed to do with each other in America.

It's too bad Elvis wasn't allowed to do a lot of roles with some deeper meaning to 'em. The early 60's did bring 'Wild In The Country' and 'Flaming Star', but 'Girls! Girls! Girls!' and 'GI Blues' started the acting decline, although I'm seemingly unable to hate these movies.

I'm not so sure about his last few movies. They were supposed to be more serious, but sadly, I've never been able to see them myself.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 09-23-2006 at 01:10 AM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Change of Habit and Charro are more serious, problem is Elvis had lost interest by then and the plot for change of habit.... well, could have been better. Charro on the other hand is a film which I consider to be underated by critics and fans alike.

Matt

Mine would be,

King Creole
    Jailhouse Rock
    Follow That Dream
    Loving You
    Flaming Star

Well, Elvis' entire legacy is underrated. But I'm very curious to find out what his later movies are like. I do like songs such as 'Let Us Pray'..

I'm sure you all were the same way when you were my age..
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

mine are:

King Creole

Jailhouse Rock

Flaming Star

Loving You

Viva Las Vegas(even if it's not one of his best movies, you can see the feeling with Ann Margret)
    and I love you so..people ask me how..how I've lived 'till now

Wild In the Country
    King Creole
    Flaming Star
    Charro
    Jailhouse Rock

- King Creole
    - Jailhouse Rock
    - Wild In The Country
    - Flaming Star
    - Viva Las Vegas

Backstage Pass
    I think he was good in the movies chosen above, but also in Follow That Dream and Viva Las Vegas, which was superior to most of its ilk.
    He had created a more relaxed screen presence for his final three movies which at least attempted a little maturity.
    rick
    rick

Conny

Re: Elvis' Top 5 acting roles

My favourite are Jailhouse Rock, Wild in the Country and King Creole (all prior to his army duty). After G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii

Mine are:

-King Creole
    - Jailhouse Rock
    - Wild In The Country
    - Flaming Star
    - Viva Las Vegas

Flaming star
    king creole
    charro
    jailhouse rock
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

King Creole (the first one I ever watched)
    Jailhouse Rock
    Viva Las Vegas (is one of my favorites because of Ann and Elvis looking so good together)
    Flaming Star
    G.I Blues (I like that movie very much )
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Mine would be King Creole,Jailhouse Rock,Flaming Star,Wild In The Country and Charro.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.