Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me And A Guy Named Elvis-Jerry Schilling

Me And A Guy Named Elvis-Jerry Schilling

Hi, Just got this book but haven't started reading it yet. I'd just like to know has anyone read this book, is it good?

Thanks,

Jon

Me and a guy named Elvis - Jerry Schilling

I read the book Me and a guy named Elvis and thought it was respectfully written. Some nice memories from a guy that was there. Although it did leave me somewhat bitter when he writes that he was on the balcony of the house that Elvis had bought him when he got the call to say Elvis had passed away. All I could think at the time was 'you should of been there for the man you claim you loved like a brother' but Jerry has to live with his conscious and no doubt regrets that. And I have to admit, I'm somewhat sceptical of the MM.

Its a positive book about Elvis, but nothing in the book that hasn't been covered already. Have to say though I was hoping there would be so much more...but I guess thats just me

Overall, it's a nice positive book from one of the nicer members of the MM who did infact carve out a career of his own and didn't live totally off Elvis.

I'm curious to see what others thought of this book

Quote Originally Posted by Shake A Hand View Post
    Although it did leave me somewhat bitter when he writes that he was on the balcony of the house that Elvis had bought him when he got the call to say Elvis had passed away. All I could think at the time was 'you should of been there for the man you claim you loved like a brother' but Jerry has to live with his conscious and no doubt regrets that.

Just curious , what do you think Jerry Schilling could have done to save Elvis? You have to want to be saved , and Elvis didn't appear to yet. Since so many people report it I have to think there is some truth to it, but Elvis was approached about his problem a few times and he always got mad and sent people away. When Doctors told him no he got new doctors. Its a darn shame but Elvis had already done the damage by 8/1977 .

Yes you're probably right JDD, I get your point. I suppose I just wished that someone could of gone that extra mile and done something to pull him out of the tail spin he was in and take the bull by the horns and force him to stop the self destruction, but he was obviously a force to be reckoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shake A Hand View Post
    Yes you're probably right JDD, I get your point. I suppose I just wished that someone could of gone that extra mile and done something to pull him out of the tail spin he was in and take the bull by the horns and force him to stop the self destruction, but he was obviously a force to be reckoned with.

Oddly enough I think the only two people that could have maybe done so, would have been if his Father and The Colonel ganged up on him as they did with a couple of business deals in the past. Maybe they did and it failed as well.

I'm reading the book right now, and so far though its enjoyable I'm not really seeing anything I hadn't already read in other books. I'm only about 1/4th of the way in though.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    Oddly enough I think the only two people that could have maybe done so, would have been if his Father and The Colonel ganged up on him as they did with a couple of business deals in the past. Maybe they did and it failed as well.

I'm reading the book right now, and so far though its enjoyable I'm not really seeing anything I hadn't already read in other books. I'm only about 1/4th of the way in though.
    i am reading the book i am just at the stage where jerry is telling the story of his up bringing so far theres nothing in it anyone else has wrote.
    elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by elvislady View Post
    i am reading the book i am just at the stage where jerry is telling the story of his up bringing so far theres nothing in it anyone else has wrote.
    elvislady

You're right About Jerry . I'll give you that but When he starts getting into Elvis I've heard all that so far before . I wonder what the exact number of Books on Elvis Presley over the years has been. He has to be one of the most written about people that ever lived, and for sure one of the most photographed. Every time I come to this site I see Photos I've never seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    You're right About Jerry . I'll give you that but When he starts getting into Elvis I've heard all that so far before . I wonder what the exact number of Books on Elvis Presley over the years has been. He has to be one of the most written about people that ever lived, and for sure one of the most photographed. Every time I come to this site I see Photos I've never seen before.
    there must be hundreds i have got a box full i have bought over the years.
    and most books do go along the same lines as one another but i think jerrys so far is looking good.
    elvislady

I?m in the middle of it and so far the book is boring me to death. The book is about Jerry?s life not about Elvis and he tells the story as if he saw Elvis from the distance not as if he had a close friendship with him. Maybe I change my mind in the end but I?m still waiting for those laughs and tears that Priscilla tells she felt reading it. The book doesn?t describe Elvis as a human being it describes him like a star out of reach.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I hate to hear this. I got the book but haven't read it. He did come across as "EPE sponsored" at the Elvis Insiders Conference. I was bored to tears with his part of it. The line to meet him was rediculously long and one I wouldn't stand in anyway. Why, when I could go to the Memorabilia showroom and meet James Burton, Gordon Stoker, Maxine Brown, Al Wertheimer, Ernst Jorgensen and a host of others. I'm far more interested in the musical aspect, musicians, peers etc. It seems as though they have less of an agenda.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

sorry if i have posted this on the wrong thread but i wonderd if anyone has read the book The King, McQueen and the Love Machine by Barbara Leigh and Marshall Terrill it is a great read i really enjoyed it look it up see what you think.
    elvislady

I just finished JS's book. Gotta say it may not be the best Elvis book I've read but it's the best Elvis book I've read in a long time.

It colours in some of the famous stories like Nixon & Beatles meetings and has lots of other interesting events that were new to me (Jerry had alot of input into On Tour film). I would not hesitate to recommend the book.
    Trelane

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I finished the book and I have to say it is a nice read. Nothing too much that is new but atleast it isn't sensationalistic. I agree with the above post, the NIxon and ON Tour parts are probably the best. Good last sentance in the book.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

re jerry shilling book

good GOD , do people really buy these books, id rather plunk down the money on a photo book from TUNZI, ETC.... tHESE GUYS AND THEIR STORIES, they can keep their stories id rather look at photos and remember E.P. as being THE GREATEST PERFORMER EVER.

Backstage Pass
    Just finished this book....and there are some great insights within....you really get a feel for what the man (Elvis) was like..... Defo more respectful than 'Elvis and The Memphis Mafia' (Lamar, Marty, et al) ......would recommend it for any Elvis fan

Quote Originally Posted by Trev1 View Post
    Just finished this book....and there are some great insights within....you really get a feel for what the man (Elvis) was like..... Defo more respectful than 'Elvis and The Memphis Mafia' (Lamar, Marty, et al) ......would recommend it for any Elvis fan
    Thanks for posting Trev, I have been thinking about getting this one but did not know if it was worth buying.. so many of them are a disapointment. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Read this book a couple of weeks ago...really enjoyed it honestly, Jerry focuses on Elvis the man not the superstar and it's really a nice read.

Highly recommended!

Brad
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

There was something that made me think on his book...
    Why had Jerry to explain the incident when he and Priscilla went to have dinner after Elvis died? He wrote that the two of them met for dinner and had a lot of champagne for drink and that when they got out of the restaurant started kissing like if they had a romance just to give something to talk about to the press....
    I mean... what was the point on telling that if nobody questions him? That made me think that they really had something going on and he felt the need to deny it because for me that didn?t fit in the chapter at all.
    Did any of you thought the same ? I have always wondered since then

re

I'm reading the book right now.
    I think it's a good book but sometimes it's long-winded
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

It a good book l did enjoy reading it alot.
    Without a song,the day would never end.
    Without a song,a man ain t got a friend.
    Without a song,the road would never bend,
    so I keep singing a song. Elvis Presley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast