Thread: Elvis' Capes

Elvis' Capes

First question I have is, when did Elvis decide to start wearing a cape or who's idea was it? Second question, how did Charlie hook the cape to the suit? Buttons, snaps, etc???

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Cadillac King
    He started wearing them at the Las Vegas engagement in August 1971. The last time he wore it was March 1974. I have seen photos to prove that it was not 1973 he last wore one.
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    How can anyone be cooler than Elvis in a jumpsuit and a cape? I mean, who else in the world could pulloff something like that?

I never read anything from people nearby Elvis what made Elvis decide to use capes and why he stopped wearing them. So only guessing remains
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Elvis stopped wearing them because of overzealous female fans who would grab the edges of the cape and try to pull him offstage.

Are the capes also designed for a function besides looking great onto his suits? It gives the finale of CHFIL some extra drama but a lot of the capes are quite heavy and if you wach E. walking around in it on stage he does seem to have some inconvenience of some of the capes. Are they maybe also to protect him from getting a cold when the ran out of the (hot) building into the cold outside to the waiting car?

They must had a simple but effective attachment system becouse Charlie could get them fastened very quickly but still the cape kept on the suit when he did the cape showing move. If you would hang it into some small hooks it problably would pop out if he lifted the corners of the cape in the air. Pressbuttons (those buttons wich you press against eachother and then click on to eachother, don't know how elso to call them in English) can't be used I guess becouse the heavy cape would pull itself lose, you can't use large ones wich can hold the cape becouse you then would have to press to hard into E's neck to fasten the buttons.
    My guess is that it are some sort of small carbinehooks (problably 3, hidden underneath his collar) which lock as soon as you pull something over it (check added drawing to see what I mean). When you take the suit of you would have to pull back the pin that locked the hook and then you will be able to remove the cape. These hooks would have been mounted onto a small plate which could be fastened to the collar. Problably there's some extra support material sewed into the collar to support the heavy cape and prevent the collar for bulging out. Made in the upper edge of the cape should be 3 holes (finished with metal edge) which go over the hooks.

Once read somewhere that one of the reasons for stop wearing the capes was the inconvenience, I can imagine that another reason could indeed be de danger of the fans pulling on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cape mounting hooks.jpg  

Thanks for posting, friends! Great post Geert!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Elvis stopped wearing them because of overzealous female fans who would grab the edges of the cape and try to pull him offstage.

He always seemed to find that amusing though,bless him, it was so lovely that he would get that close to his fans.
    Elvis-Memories,Sweet Memories-Elvis

Great post Geert!!!!! Really enjoyed reading it... thanks Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

Who can ever forget the great closing he did with the cape in the Aloha rehearsal show, to get everybody to stop on a dime like that was incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    Who can ever forget the great closing he did with the cape in the Aloha rehearsal show, to get everybody to stop on a dime like that was incredible!
    One of my favourite video-captured moves of E.

Thanks everybody for the positive reactions to my last post

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    There are some great shots of Elvis wearing capes :-

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hawaii-18nov-72-matinee-5.jpg   Hawaii-18nov-72-matinee-4.jpg   218_November_1972_Honolulu_Matinee_-_Black_Way_Down_Suit.jpg  

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l Matt ... One of my favorites. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    I loved those capes of Elvis. But I guess the Aloha cape is my favorite. I believe that was one of the heavy capes that he ever wore. It looked heavy anyway. I have always wondered how was those cape was hooked on. It has to be hooks or snaps or somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The collar had a 1" band sewn at the top of the collar in the center of the cape. On each end of the band there was a hook and the matching female hook was in the same place underneath the collar of the jumpsuit. A strip of velcro was sewn all the way across between the hooks.

Thanks for the info, Leroy!!

Great post, Leroy!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Some nice cape pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 66.JPG   ATLANTA3.JPG   Image11.jpg  

Image18.jpg  

Cadillac King
    Yes! Someone on Kings court kindly put up the pics of Elvis wearing a cape on his March 1974 tour. This photo is the last known proof, thus far, we know of Elvis wearing a cape on stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 030174tulsawhitevinesuitlm7.jpg  
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

I wonder why he stopped wearing them Was it just because of the fans trying to pull it off or some other reason.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I wonder why he stopped wearing them Was it just because of the fans trying to pull it off or some other reason.

From a quote from me earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout