Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moody Blue LP

Moody Blue LP

I just bidded on The Moody Blue LP on ebay and I was wondering if the album is good. Just so I know if anyone bids against me is it worth the fight of having it. If anyone can help me that will be great!

Yes the Album is well worth having. I bought this one (Back Cover with song list) in 1977. I was 35.

Thanx for your reply Now all I have to worry about is actually winning it. Well so far so good. I've got one more day left.

Cadillac King
    Its not a bad album. One of my faves from the 70s actually
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

moody blue

i like this LP too

I like it too, it's a good one!
    and I love you so..people ask me how..how I've lived 'till now

I also have the Moody Blue album and love it... I have had it for many years and really would not know what it is worth.

Sometimes on Ebay they go for a lot of money... but you can also find them at Flea Markets for a decent price where you get a chance to look at them for scratches and quality of the cover.

Good luck on your bidding... I have also heard that the black one is worth more than the blue one.. I have the blue vinyl.. and am happy with it.. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

Coming On Strong
    My mother has this album. She got it when it first came out. I remember when I was 4 or 5 years old, I would ask her to play it for me alot. I used to like the blue vinyl.
    YOU LOOKIN' FOR TROUBLE? YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE.

This is Elvis' the last album. Released two months before he died. It is a colage of live and studio recordings.
    The only songs that are not covers are Way Down, Moody Blue (composition of Mark James who wrote Suspicious Minds) and It's Easy For You (Andrew Lloyd Webber an Tim Rice' composition). Unchained Melody is a boring cover of Righteous Brothers (on That's The Way It Is he covered their You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling), Little Darlin' is a cover of classic doo wop song, He'll Have To Go was a hit for Jim Reeves, If You Love Me and Let Me Be There are John Rostill's compositions and were hits for Olivia Newton-John (?),... The only two songs that are really great are George Jones' She Thinks I Still Care and Johnny Ace's Pledging My Love.
    "I was playing
    Madison Square Garden,
    the Forum in LA,
    the Cow Palace in San Francisco.
    No single artist had been through
    those venues before, only the
    Beatles and the Stones
    had played places that big."

Tom Jones

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Tom, I believe you've performed your share of covers over the years too.

On a serious note, to consider Elvis' version of Unchained Melody "boring" is probably a result of not listening with your ears, but of comparing Elvis' with the Righteous Brothers' version and finding the considerable difference between them unsavory in your unconscious wish to have them sound essentially the same. The credibly impassioned performance by EP is awesome by most anyone's standards and exceptions to that rule are usually people who have a problem with the variance in arrangement.

I am not saying Elvis' version is superior; the Righteous Brothers' is undeniably a timeless classic. It is worth noting that their performance, though the most well known, is also a cover version. Think Elvis and Blue Suede Shoes.

My point is that if you try to listen to the song as if you had not heard it before, you will likely discover its merits. I recommend you listen to the rendition heard on The Great Performances.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

On the subject of the black vinyl being worth more than the blue pressing of Moody Blue, watch for Canadian releases on eBay that are implied to be of considerable value; the standard Canadian release was on black.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Thanks for the info. The one that I'm bidding on is on blue vinyl and is rarely cheap for the other one's I seen could go for $400! I only have less than twenty two more hours left to see if I got it or not. I am so excited, especially about Unchained Melody. Even if it doesn't sound like the Rightious Brothers. It's just a nice song all together. One other thing I am concerned about is playing it... I was thinking about just getting the cd so I could have the vinyl as a collector's item. But I think vinyl is pretty cool to listen to. What do y'all think?

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    reigndrop, vinyl is definitely cool to listen to, and undeniably makes for a more valuable collector's item. Whichever way your priorities lean, I believe you will find it to be a win-win. Enjoy!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I remember Jimmy Young's 1955 hit version of "Unchained Melody", a school friend always sang it in our local pub...aged 14. He was quite good.......it's all so subjective. I prefer Elvis singing the song....that's prejudice for you:-)

By the way, "Little Darlin'" is a gem!!!

Cadillac King
    I love that album.

Backstage Pass
    It's a great album and Unchained Melody is brilliant- one of Elvis' greatest performances.
    Let us know if you win it
    rick
    rick

Moody Blue LP

MOODY BLUE isn't a masterpiece, and its history among Elvis fans is very divisble - but in its original form it was a really good record, featuring some excellent performances. The original album was made up of 3 tour tracks, 6 Graceland sessions, and a live cut from his 1974 live in Memphis album. "Unchained Melody" is a more theatrical cut than a straight performance, but Elvis handles the song well. His two Olivia Newton-John covers "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" and 1974 "Let Me Be There" are well-done. While some reviewers have noted the songs sound alike, that was why they worked as hits for Olivia as "If You Love Me" followed "Let Me Be There" up the charts; both written by John Rostill and have a similar style. Both are good songs, in particular I like Elvis' loose take on "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)". "Little Darlin'" isn't much of a performance though. The Graceland sessions include two excellent country classics "He'll Have To Go" (Jim Reeves) and "She Thinks I Still Care" (George Jones), in particular "She Thinks I Still Care" is a standout. The title track was Elvis' last #1, topped the country charts, and is a favorite, though one can detect a slight disco flavoring to the song. "Way Down" was a smart uptempo rock song, and the cover of "Pledging My Love" is beautiful. Though Elvis didn't intend it "It's Easy For You" was a beautifully sad note to close his last album.
    "I was playing
    Madison Square Garden,
    the Forum in LA,
    Beatles and the Stones

Tom Jones

I like "Little Darlin'", it's done in fun, it's obvious Elvis is enjoying himself doing the number.

Like I said it's all so subjective. I'm sure my list of Elvis's best recordings would not be the same as our younger members. Elvis Monthly readers over the years chose some awful Elvis songs as their favourites...I have some of their lists in old copies of the magazine.

Last edited by MauriceColgan; 08-23-2006 at 06:03 AM.

In an amazing warping of truth in advertising, RCA has remastered and reissued the entire _From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee_ album, preceeded it with nine of the original ten cuts from _Moody Blue_, and dubbed the result _Moody Blue_ with "ten tracks orignally released on "From Elvis Presley Boulevard...."." They've even changed the cover art! Wouldn't it have been more effective to just delete the three forgettable live tracks from _Moody Blue_, added some alternate takes, and call it the _Complete Graceland Sessions_?
    Of course, apart from _Elvis Country_, Elvis and RCA were never known for their sense of careful album planning. Enough bitterness...
    "I was playing
    Madison Square Garden,
    the Forum in LA,
    Beatles and the Stones

Tom Jones

Good news guys, I won the record! *Jumps up and down and does the running man* I'll let you know how it is as soon as it gets to me. Thanx for all your advice!

Well done. Enjoy the album.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast