Thread: Unreleased Elvis recordings

Coming On Strong

Unreleased Elvis recordings

I'm an avid Elvis collector, especially of all of his recordings, including live performances and interviews. My dream is to one day have every note and word Elvis ever recorded and then create my own CD compilation. Talk about a BIG box set!

Anyway, I found this website to be very interesting:
    http://members.tripod.com/beyondthereef__1/rumors.html

Has RCA been holding out on us? Now I don't actually believe ALL of these recordings exist, or that Elvis even recorded ALL of them. But if even a small percentage of them are real, it would be a dream come true if they were released! Can you imagine hearing a 9-year-old Elvis sing Old Shep? That would be the Holy Grail for Elvis fans and collectors! (Not that I honestly believe THAT one will ever be released)

What do you guys think of all the many rumored unreleased Elvis recordings?
    YOU LOOKIN' FOR TROUBLE? YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE.

Most of this is either rumour, or simply won't exist on tape. The only slim chance we have is for some more rehearsal material to yield a surpise or two. Remember "Twelfth Of Never" was rumoured for years and finally turned up. And I'd totally love a good quality recording of "Portrait Of My Love". Apart from that, we need to accept that we have pretty well heard every song Elvis sang that happened to be caught on tape.
    "The way you looked, the sound of your laughing..."

Coming On Strong
    We Elvis fans are never satisfied!

But yeah, I agree most of those on that list will never turn up, but I'm not giving up hope that at least a couple won't. RCA and others have confirmed he recorded a few of those like Casual Love Affair and Satisfied for Sun, but the tapes have been allegedly lost. Well, long ago, we never thought they'd find the two 1953 recordings that started it all, My Happiness and That's When Your Heartaches Begin, but they turned up in an Elvis high school classmate's possession in 1988. After that, we thought no more pre-That's All Right Mama recordings would be discovered, but then they discovered I'll Never Stand In Your Way, and It Wouldn't Be The Same Without You in the late '90s.

Are they any more out there that someone's hiding from us? Likely not many, but I bet we'll get a surprise in the next 5-10 years or so.

Yeah, I'll buy that. There has certainly been much more new material in the last 20 years or so than I ever thought I would hear. The Sun acetates were amazing in that they were only ever on one disc and in both cases they miraculously turned up.

I guess what I was saying is that just because Elvis sang something doesn't mean it was recorded. Even if it was it may not have survived and be able to be located. Also the fact that we pretty much know every Elvis recording session inside out by now. That's why I mentioned rehearsals as possibly being a source of something new.

But songs like "It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You)", "Fool, Fool, Fool", "Hearts Of Stone", "I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)", "Number Eight" and "It's Different Now" give us cause for hope. If they can come totally out of left field, so can others, I guess. But I think they'll be fewer as the years pass.
    Last edited by dannyboy1; 08-23-2006 at 04:05 AM.

As I said before in another thread:

As long as we fans keep wanting more material and are willing to pay for it RCA will come up with "newly discovered, never before released bla bla" material. It's all about the money. I always thought it was very suspicious that they keep up finding lost tapes etc.. If you record something from an artist you don't spread these tapes all over your storage. They are catalogised and if not quite an amaturistic move of such a large company. I know it's possible that some tapes got lost (problably stolen) but they always knew that Elvis popularity wouldn't sudenly stop. They are just holding the material back to release it on a strategic point. At least for the multitrack studio and concert tapes. The soundengeneer tapes and every ilegal recording can turn up anytime off course. The longer they wait, the more we want such material. Elvis' music is great and stays great but some variationin the version or an other concert recording - even with the same songlist - sounds always refreshing.
    Maybe I'm a little bit to suspicious I have to admit that I always try to get these new materials, but I still think they exploit us fans.

Geert, it's certainly all about the money. No doubt about that. But all the money in the world can't create a new Elvis recording. There are only a finite number of them and we're getting close to the bottom of the barrell. This is evidenced by the fact that BMG is reissuing older compilations in "improved sound quality" rather than brand new previously unreleased songs. Talking about money is fairly irrelevant since no amount of money in the world or no amount of demand can make a new Elvis recording.

Roustabouts
    Dannyboy1
    Number eight??????? that's a new one on me where can i find it?
    what kind of song is it? i.e fast rocker,slow ballad, country, blues?????
    I now have a mission must find the holy grail that is Number Eight

Coming On Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by earlvince View Post
    Dannyboy1
    Number eight??????? that's a new one on me where can i find it?
    what kind of song is it? i.e fast rocker,slow ballad, country, blues?????
    I now have a mission must find the holy grail that is Number Eight
    It's on the CD entitled Elvis In A Private Moment from Follow That Dream records. You can probably find it on Ebay.