View Poll Results: Which was better - the 68 Comeback Special or Aloha From Hawaii?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • 68 Comeback Special

102 50.75%
  • Aloha From Hawaii

49 24.38%
  • Can't decide

50 24.88%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 68 Comeback Special vs. Aloha From Hawaii

International Level

Re: 68 Comeback Special vs. Aloha From Hawaii

Can't decide...

tough choice both fantastic for different reasons i had to vote for 68 comeback as he was back and showed the world that he was still the king he was relaxed confident looked great and song choices were superb it was the biggest comeback in musical history he showed the world and himself what he could really do

The 68 special was the greatest rock&roll ever performed, period. You could have put anybody next to Elvis during this special, and he would have blew them off the stage! Nothing against other performers, Elvis was a man possessed during this special, and when he was like that, he was from another planet and in a league of his own!

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

THis is a tough one, there was more raw energy in the 68 Comeback, as well as more excitement, but you can't beat the emotion and the overall production of Aloha. I can't decide

In terms of Elvis performance: '68 comeback.
    In terms of Elvis looks: '68 comeback.
    in terms of just the music (talking about the soundtrack album): '68 comeback.
    In terms of a TV show, no matter who is in it: Here I go for the Aloha show, the final edition of the '68 NBC special is bad, a lot of the great stuff was left out, and instead the Guitar Man production number that looks so cheap and dated today was in, they gave priority to what is not so cool of the stand up shows, and left out what is the real meat in the sit down shows. The Aloha on the other hand, (not the U.S. version hate those stupid inserts with the dude walking on the beach) was a straight, well balanced show with no lows on it, works perfect, no scenes to skip in the DVD, the '68 has quite a few.

An alternate edition for the '68 original show would have been a killer but, as Phil Spector said, the ruined it in the edition, and left a lot of what was the real Elvis out. Anyhow, today we got the complete performances of it on 3 dvd's! right? so, about the voting, if you ask me about the todays DVD sets, I'll vote for the '68 special. If you ask me about the TV specials as they aired back then, I´ll vote Aloha.

I REALLY LOVE BOTH BUT I STAY WITH THIS VERY SEXY 68´COMEBACK

There's nothing that anybody can knock about the 68 special. He looked incredible, his outfit was and still is, the greatest looking rock suit ever, and his performance from this show is 40 years later, unsurpassed!

I think its a draw-both were great shows-great events.
    Work in Progress!

You just can't beat an iconic image like this:

Wrapped in black leather
    People crowded together
    It's rock n roll, bro

Where was this kind of sheer coolness in Aloha?

The squeaking of the leather, the fingermarks on the guitar, the swept back hair, the leaning into the mic as if delivering private revelation, the tightness of the air ... this image and the things it evokes are so tangible. I can feel the heat, the closeness, the electricity. There is something primal that can't be denied. Something honest. Something raw. Aloha was, and is, a great event, but it can't compare to this. Not in a million years.

But Aloha does have scale. And a certain majesty that may have been unimaginable in 1968 for our guy. His jumpsuit is magnificent and there's a fervency to "An American Trilogy" -- a will to get it right -- that defies belief. It is almost the apotheosis of live balladry. Of putting on "a show". Subliminally, it may explain my choice of avatar, which I've kept on this site all these years. There's Elvis, mic in hand, coolly introducing himself and welcoming us to his world. I altered the hair, though. As memory serves, I neatened up the back of his black helmet, shortened the sideburn and quiffed up and out the front. Maybe I wanted him to rock a little harder -- as he did, all and more, in that Little Theater back in '68.
    Last edited by Cryogenic; 02-10-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Ok,wher do I start..As much as I love 68,Aloha gets My vote..I know that will be no surprise to some..lol,but i have actually weighed all the points up in my head,and Aloha comes out tops,i try to be as unbiassed as is possible,Aloha,In my opinion was a great achievement,because of the World wide Broadcast,68 was a huge turning point in "E"'s career,but then so again was Aloha,In Aloha Elvis looked as good as he did in 68,although not in leather,but in the Eagle jumpsuit ,he looked Awesome,the songs in Aloha were more soft and tame,compared to 68,but they were delivered with sush passion,especially American Trilogy.I realise the importance of the 68 special,and that it did show the world that he was well and truely back,But Aloha showed us that he was more than Just a Rock'n'Roll star.Aloha showed that he has a talent that will never be matched, as an all round entertainer,It was ,believe me a very difficult decision to make ,between Aloha and 68,because of the huge importance to both,But the songs in Aloha, for me take it to the winning line.-)
    Rosanne 4/27/59-7/22/09 Rest in Peace

http://malc07.tripod.com

My Radio shows every Thursday and Sunday at 7pm UK time

I don't think you can compare the two really....both were perfect for what Elvis needed to do at the particular time.....nothing can compare to the sight of him coming out in the black leather....nervous but ready to prove he was still the King Of Rock And Roll....which he did in the most amazing manner possible....but then nothing compares to the sight of him coming onto the world wide stage in the Aloha suit....ready to show the whole world, who would never get to see him in the flesh just what a superstar he had become.......

No one could get more excited than I do at Black Leather Elvis...but I wrote this in January on the anniversary of the Aloha Concert.....

Aloha was a one off type of show for Elvis...beamed by satellite all around the world.....personally I love it - I think he had to ensure that the timing was spot on - and he was aware of not wasting time in between songs ... though he did manage to throw water over Glen....lol.....an unusual choice of songs too...It's Over, Welcome To My World, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry...songs he had never done before and would never do again ... playing to a different audience, a world wide audience who would never see him live.....looking fantastic, showing off his voice, his range of material and his talent on this huge world wide stage.....very different from his comfortable and possibly boring to him...shows in Vegas and on tour...a real challenge for him which he rose to magnificently...arguably for the last time....he could have responded to such challenges later on - if only he had had the chance......

Guess I'm on the fence........I just can't imagine being without either of these momentous shows......
    Last edited by jeanelvisgirl; 02-10-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Jean
    Co-Manager -www.ultimate-elvis.net

<a href=http://i42.tinypic.com/2mxnb6x.gif target=_blank>http://i42.tinypic.com/2mxnb6x.gif</a>

Roustabouts

Hi!
    "Aloha From Hawaii" got my vote... though I love both.. In "68 Comeback" Elvis is breah-taking! and in "Aloha.." is amazing! . But his voice, his mature, ..on "Aloha" made me decide for it.
    I'll never get tired of watching and listening them!

Cadillac King

..love both..but has to be 68' special......

I LOVE THE TWO,REALLY THEY ARE AMAZING BUT I VOTE FOR 68´COMEBACK SPECIAL

they are both great shows,i like Elvis energy in the 68 special, you know what i cant decide,there both great!!
    Play it James!

Both as good as each other for me, but in totally different ways............now if you added TTWII into the mix.................?????
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Coming On Strong

Hi there. I have always loved the Hawaii-show. It's just perfect: I mean, Elvis' hair was perfect, he sounded wonderful, looked great and the suit was fantastic on him. The show wasn't his wildest - not a all - but to me it was probably his most perfect concert ever.

I agree with Nicole that he looked better in 1968. But the Hawaii-show is just something very wonderful and special. I never get tired of looking at the show on my dvd-player.

Wish they have filmed Elvis a lot more during the 70's. But then again: This was the 70's and no-one cared that much to capture Elvis om film back then.

Nowadays it seems everything is recorded.

I love them both ... but Aloha From Hawaii got my vote!
    Some of you all never been down South too much...
    I'm gonna tell you a little story, so you'll understand where I'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post

Wrapped in black leather
    People crowded together
    It's rock n roll, bro

The squeaking of the leather, the fingermarks on the guitar, the swept back hair, the leaning into the mic as if delivering private revelation, the tightness of the air ... this image and the things it evokes are so tangible. I can feel the heat, the closeness, the electricity. There is something primal that can't be denied. Something honest. Something raw. Aloha was, and is, a great event, but it can't compare to this. Not in a million years.

But Aloha does have scale. And a certain majesty that may have been unimaginable in 1968 for our guy. His jumpsuit is magnificent and there's a fervency to "An American Trilogy" -- a will to get it right -- that defies belief. It is almost the apotheosis of live balladry. Of putting on "a show". Subliminally, it may explain my choice of avatar, which I've kept on this site all these years. There's Elvis, mic in hand, coolly introducing himself and welcoming us to his world. I altered the hair, though. As memory serves, I neatened up the back of his black helmet, shortened the sideburn and quiffed up and out the front. Maybe I wanted him to rock a little harder -- as he did, all and more, in that Little Theater back in '68.

You have such a way with words!!!!!

Deb
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post

Wrapped in black leather
    People crowded together
    It's rock n roll, bro

I LOVE THE PIC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast