Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your take on the "Memphis Mafia"?

The thing that i wonder is would Elvis still be alive if any of them really talked to him about what was going on with him. It seems to me they all told their woes to Elvis but he had no one to talk to. He seemed to want to reach out, to be understood.

They all say that they saw his demise but in reality they seems to have done very little to help him. If someone is in trouble you don't ingore it,

They also say no one said no to Elvis, maybe he wanted someone to say no to him. Maybe if one of them stood up to him and really questioned his drug taking he may still be here.

I know that will irk some people, but in all the MM books i've read they say they had no control over what he did, that's true he was a grown man, but no one confronted him either.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    The thing that i wonder is would Elvis still be alive if any of them really talked to him about what was going on with him. It seems to me they all told their woes to Elvis but he had no one to talk to. He seemed to want to reach out, to be understood.

They all say that they saw his demise but in reality they seems to have done very little to help him. If someone is in trouble you don't ingore it,

They also say no one said no to Elvis, maybe he wanted someone to say no to him. Maybe if one of them stood up to him and really questioned his drug taking he may still be here.

I know that will irk some people, but in all the MM books i've read they say they had no control over what he did, that's true he was a grown man, but no one confronted him either.
    I agree with you alot. I have read all these books by the MM and everyone else, saw all the videos and interviews and I still have the opinion that some type of intervention could have happened. I know legally, his father and the colonel were the only ones, well why the hell didn't they do something. They could have gotten some muscle though from the MM. I know he was a grown man and I feel for some of what the more respectable members of the MM had to go through. But, I also feel it was a boss/job relationship and they were on the payroll. They all say it wasn't about the money because they weren't paid much. Through gifts, travel, expenses, houses, cars entertainment, I'd say they're entire lives were paid for. Yeah most of them had trouble gaining employment after, because they did not seek other oppurtunities while they were with him, they relied on Elvis. They were scared to get off the train and didn't want to (Hell, some of them still don't want to). They didn't want Elvis mad at them, because it was much easier on everyone when Elvis got what Elvis wanted. Billy Smith says he tried to help the last year or so, and in retrospect thinks he could have done more. I'd hate to be in theyr'e shoes when it got bad with Elvis, but I would have had to get with Vernon and Elvis' family and discuss what had to be done and do it , fired or no firing. I know they didn't have the organizations back then that they do now, but they did have some and it was done, even with famous celebrities, and even political figures. Johnny Cash had friends step in and do it. They didn't get arrested and prosecuted. It was different with Elvis I know, but I just feel that he might have lived had he been surrounded with a different quality of people from the beginning. It might not have even got that far.
    Last edited by Menwithbrokenhearts; 09-18-2006 at 12:49 AM.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

I agree with you 100% Menwithbrokenhearts. I have often though the same things. Elvis needed help and he needed someone to step up to the plate and make him get the help. ( Yes, I know easier said than done) But nobody really tried ... He loved his daughter and perhaps they could of built their case from there... to get him to realize he needed the help .. we will never know what might of been but sure would of been nice to know that someone cared enough to try.

It would not of been easy but then love can move mountains when used in the proper way.

You speak with much wisdom Menwithbrokenhearts, to bad he did not have people like you around when he was going through his hell.

I think Parker also destroyed Elvis' spirit.. stirling his artistry in third-rate movies, suffocating his ambitions in 837 Vegas performances from 1969-1976, and killing his will to live by refusing to challenge him in meaningful ways, like a European tour, a dramatic film role in a movie to reclaim his self-respect. Elvis needed someone to tell him to get a new manager also...
    (Just my opinion) Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

I just saw an interview on tv last night with Tom Jones and he was asked about Elvis' problems towards the end.He didnt mention names but he said a couple of Elvis' bodyguards asked him for help to get Elvis off drugs thinking he might have some influence.He said Elvis wouldnt respond to him because he didnt like being reminded he had a problem to begin with so you couldnt help him.He says near the end he wouldnt even return his phone calls.That's a perfect example of why Elvis couldnt be reached.I think people tried but he wouldnt have it.
    Jak

Tom Jones was not the person to go to for help. He and Elvis were friendly but not close friends. Ed Parker would have had more influence on him but even he didn't try hard enough. I agree with MWBH and Dovey that Vernon was the person they should have gone to as he as his father was the only one with the power to have him committed. The colonel wouldn't have gone along with it as it would have pulled him away from making the $$$$$$$ so there is no way that he would have wanted him to go away for a "rest".

People who have strong addictions DO need other people to get in there in intervene and not give up until they convince the addict to go for serious help. Addicts CANNOT think clearly for themselves everyone knows that, or they should! An addict will fight tooth and nail to stay in denial. If you really care for someone's health and happiness you don't give up. Never mind the temper tantrums, threats or whatever , just get in there do it! Unfortunately few people have the guts......

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Tom Jones was not the person to go to for help. He and Elvis were friendly but not close friends. Ed Parker would have had more influence on him but even he didn't try hard enough. I agree with MWBH and Dovey that Vernon was the person they should have gone to as he as his father was the only one with the power to have him committed. The colonel wouldn't have gone along with it as it would have pulled him away from making the $$$$$$$ so there is no way that he would have wanted him to go away for a "rest".

People who have strong addictions DO need other people to get in there in intervene and not give up until they convince the addict to go for serious help. Addicts CANNOT think clearly for themselves everyone knows that, or they should! An addict will fight tooth and nail to stay in denial. If you really care for someone's health and happiness you don't give up. Never mind the temper tantrums, threats or whatever , just get in there do it! Unfortunately few people have the guts......
    I agree 100% Diane .... you hit the nail on the head for sure!!!!

What I was trying to say above (and did it badly) was that Elvis
    had a lot to live for and needed help from people who cared about him to seek the much needed help from professionals.
    (no shame in that)

With the proper help he would of seen that he did need to get rid of people like Parker and others that only cared about the $$$$ aspect of his life.

Such a shame nobody had the guts to do it.. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

I totally agree with Diane, Dovey and others. The MM say they loved Elvis as a brother and yet nothing was done to stop him. I know some claim they approached him individually to no avail. Elvis was a force to be reckoned with, BUT if they would of tackled him as a united front, maybe they could of got somewhere.

I was just curious about the guys that have written 'their' story. What happened to all the profits made from the sales of the books or was it all personal gain?
    If they had donated their $?$?'s to a drug rehab centre or some other worthy charity, then I may be persuaded to look at them in a more favourable light. Does anyone know?

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovey View Post
    I agree with you 100% Menwithbrokenhearts. I have often though the same things. Elvis needed help and he needed someone to step up to the plate and make him get the help. ( Yes, I know easier said than done) But nobody really tried ... He loved his daughter and perhaps they could of built their case from there... to get him to realize he needed the help .. we will never know what might of been but sure would of been nice to know that someone cared enough to try.

It would not of been easy but then love can move mountains when used in the proper way.

You speak with much wisdom Menwithbrokenhearts, to bad he did not have people like you around when he was going through his hell.

I think Parker also destroyed Elvis' spirit.. stirling his artistry in third-rate movies, suffocating his ambitions in 837 Vegas performances from 1969-1976, and killing his will to live by refusing to challenge him in meaningful ways, like a European tour, a dramatic film role in a movie to reclaim his self-respect. Elvis needed someone to tell him to get a new manager also...
    (Just my opinion) Dovey
    Thanks for the kind words Dovey. And... I agree with you 100% about the Colonel!!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Millions of Elvis Presley fans enjoyed the best of Elvis's beautiful voice and music from 1957 - till 1977 Without ever considering the Memphis Mafia. That's how important they were.

Yes they lacked backbone..........I walked out on employers when I really need to consider my family committments.... But self respect demanded it. I always got another position within days. I could not have worked for Elvis and watched him throw away his tallent on mediocre songs and movies.Vicarious fame and Money is not THAT important!!!

Why they could not have cleaned up Elvis and placed him on his bed 16th August 1977 beats the life out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consequences....Blow the consequences!!!! Elvis Presley deserved better from his, "Friends".

Quote Originally Posted by Shake A Hand View Post
    I totally agree with Diane, Dovey and others. The MM say they loved Elvis as a brother and yet nothing was done to stop him. I know some claim they approached him individually to no avail. Elvis was a force to be reckoned with, BUT if they would of tackled him as a united front, maybe they could of got somewhere.
    I agree with what you all have been saying...and I believe the above quote is very true as well! I think it's too bad they didn't all talk to him at the same time, unless they did and he wouldn't listen...Really the only person that could help Elvis was Elvis himself, but in the shape he was in at the end, it was too hard!

franny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123