Thread: Aug. 16th: What were you doing 29 years ago

Aug. 16th: What were you doing 29 years ago

A lot of things happened in the past 29 years. It's almost a life time. I have grown over the pain and sadness. Life goes on but Elvis is still a daily part of my life. First of all because I'm part of several message boards and also because every room in my house contains something of Elvis like books, DVD's or CD's. And I'm always busy researching his wardrobe.

But I was wondering; not only what you did the day you heard Elvis died but also what it meant to you and how you finally dealt with it and got over it. That is... if you ever got over it. I truly hope so because if not you really need so see someone.

In 1977 I was in the militairy service. I was only sixteen years old at the time when I joined the professional army on January 10th, 1977. In August I was in the final stage of the basic training and in the afternoon of the 16th I heard I had received my militairy driver's licence. That called for a celebration and my mates organized a small party after "working hours".
    It must have been about 11:00 pm I tucked in for the night (remember there is a difference in time between the USA and Europe).

I do not remember what time it was but the night watch woke me up and told me I had to report to the company sergeant. I got dressed, a little groggy off course, and went on my way. When I reported to the company sergeant I saw he was crying. Several mates were standing around and they had tears in their eyes too. Then he broke the news. To this day I'm still thankful I did not had a rifle because I surely would have shot something.
    We listened to Radio Luxembourg who broadcasted everything about Elvis they could lay their hands on and we talked and talked.
    The sergeant got me off the hook for the next couple of days (who were filled with shooting exercises) and we spend those days together. He was a big fan too and later I realized he did not only think about me but also about himself. He needed these days too.

It was a hard time, not only because the loss of Elvis but also because it reminded me of the loss of my mother, only four years earlier. I had still not gotten over that and the feeling I was experiencing was the same all over. Although Elvis did not replace my mother, being busy with Elvis stuff did ease the pain a little, so in a way Elvis relieved me.

But the hardtest part was the way my surroundings reacted, especially my father who seemed to be very cheerful about Elvis' death. He must have realized it hurted me tremendously because he polished up his act a little.
    In September 1977 I was promoted to Soldier First Class and was replaced to another unit. From now on I had to study for car mechanic but I didn't make it. I was not able to set my mind to it. After a few months I asked for a change of function and was replaced to yet another unit for training as a tank driver which was far better.

Like I said before, life goes on and slowely I started to pick it up again. I grew older and although Elvis always stayed a part of my daily routine, his death got a place it deserved. I have fully accepted what happened and can talk about it without regret or crying. Life and death are integrated and although it's allowed to grieve, because you have to go on without a loved one you also have to grow over it eventually because it's one of life's lessons. Besides that, I you believe in a better life you can only be joyful in the end.

So I have come to the point that I celebrate his life instead of mourning his death. Elvis has brought many people together like us on this- and several other message boards. I believe it is because of Elvis so many people are showing their real faces too. People like Col. Parker, executives of RCA and BMG, Graceland Enterprises, his so-called friends like Joe Esposito, Red- and Sonny West, the Stanley brothers and all other figures who betrayed him. They have all had their coming out. Because of Elvis we see the right and the wrong. Because of Elvis we see who we are or who we want to be.
    Elvis is still changing the world. He's not only larger than life, he's even larger than death.

Backstage Pass
    I was only 1 so I was probably toddling around blissfully unaware of the tragic events that had occured....but at least I got to share the earth with him for that one year

i was 13 at the time and i was babysitting for my auntie and uncle. it came on the news later that night and i was shocked and upset. my auntie and uncle came home early when they heard the news they were very upset we watched it on the news for hours still not beliving it.
    elvislady

I was only 7 when Elvis died and I was on holiday, I didnt stop crying for the rest of that holiday and it is the most prominant memory I have of my childhood.

Thank you Elvis for the memories.
    ? ?Til we meet you again, may God bless you. Adios.?
    -Said in 1977 at the end of a concert during his last tour.

I remember that day so well...I was 13 years old. I was listening some of my Elvis' records sitting on the floor in my bedroom. I just traded some stuff I had that my old neighbor friend wanted and got Elvis "Loving You" lp and "Fun in Acapulco" lp. I was listening it and was excited on that day. I also was going through some of my parents Elvis' 45's that they had while listening those lp's. Then, my Mom came in and told me the news...I didn't want to believe it. Went in the living room to see it on tv and saw many fans were crying at the gates of Graceland. I was in shock and didn't cry yet. (didn't want my parents to see me cry). I went back to my room listened more of his lp's as of nothing happened. It was about half hour later...I started crying. It broke my heart it happened and I had this hope that I would see him someday in concert. I was only 13. I started loving and collecting Elvis when I was 9 years old. When I was 12, I had 5 albums and a few 45's. Now...I am 42 years old and my love is still going strong for Elvis only. I never had any other artist's records or listened to any other...ONLY ELVIS! My collection is really growing today!
    Long Live The King!!

I was only five years old at that time so I didn't remember much, I just remember my dad telling me that and he was very sad and he couldn't quite believe that...I was sad cos my dad was , but at that time I didn't understand very well what "death" meant . I knew Elvis cos my dad was , and still is, a fan but I didn't really understand the tragedy had just happened
    and I love you so..people ask me how..how I've lived 'till now

i was not yet born i born two week later on 6 september 1977 and i bin for manny year a fan of the king is was and is a great singer

greeting iwan

I was also only 5 at the time, but still I remember that day.
    I am told that my love for Elvis came when I was around 3. They showed Aloha on the TV and I was hooked.
    I didnt hear the news until the day after ( I live in Norway) , and I didnt quite know what to think. I didnt understand that he would never come back..just that something bad was going on. Later that day my mom tried to explain what was going on. I still didnt understand. Anyway, the day John Lennon got shot, I finally understood that Elvis was also gone.
    I love the guy, will always...so this candle is for you my long life friend!!!!

I was six when Elvis died, i remember going to school in shock, Elvis dying was the first time that i really thought about death and what it meant.

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Smile What day was it...

What day was it on the 16, 1977...iam under the impression it was a tuesday, would this be right...
    'The Day The Beat Stopped'

Mad Tigers
    I wasn't born until 13 1/2 years later.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Being in Memphis last and this week really brought it all back for me. I was 11 years old and had just come home from school. I was doing my chores and my dad called and told me to turn the tv on. He told me why and I tried not to cry, got off the phone and watched the tv and tears streamed. I was still glued to it when my mom got home and , for the next several months was sequestered away in my room with Elvis records books and magazines . My mother had bought me some new ones, I had saved all the papers. I sort of coped by becoming obsessed. I got over it later in life as life happened but never stopped being a fan. Sometimes less , sometimes more, always a fan.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

I don't know what I did back then. I was just a year old....

..i was somewhere..'in the making..' I'll be 28 this october...so go figure..:

august 16th 77

I was 12 when Elvis left us, I still remember that I was in my bed sleeping when my mum came into the room and said 'you're pal Elvis has died it's on t.v. now!'.
    I can only remember going downstairs walking in the room and saw Elvis face all over the t.v., what they were saying I cannot remember as I just went deaf to everything around me, but i do know that apart from losing someone close, that was one of the saddest days ever in my life.

Backstage Pass
    To answer the question...crying
    rick
    rick