Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Great balls of fire

Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Great balls of fire

I've always assumed that the meeting between the two in the movie where Elvis declares that JLL is getting more popular is total BS...can anyone provide insight to this?

Granted they were both very popular in the 50s, in the movie Elvis is portrayed as being jelaous of JLL's fame and success, which I have a very hard time believing.

I don't believe they were ever equals popularity wise in the fifties, it was EP and then everybody else. I think Jerry Lee married his 13 year old cousin, thus
    ruining his career when he was at his peak.

I don't think anyone would argue who is more popular, I was more interested in how factual the movie was in having a scene where Elvis declares his jealousy to JLL.

Jerry Lee Lewis was never as huge as Elvis. He was just almost another 50's singer. Not really that popular. As far as I understand it he didn't like Elvis much. Elvis never said anything about JJL. Since I'm from that era that's what I observed. Little Richard was jealous also of Elvis. But Elvis never said anything about them. Elvis always was so polite.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    We can define popularity in many ways Tommy my friend. Country music still remains one of the most popular music styles in the world. It maybe never got the attention it deserved, and I personally don’t mind keeping it that way.

Till this day all of JLL concerts are still soled out again and again. And after being in the business for longer then anybody your words “Not really that popular” seem a bit strange to me.
    Hello,

Not so with me because I grew up with this music, I saw and heard, and what went on back then with JJL just my observation, he was not that popular back in the 50's with the teens I grew up with. Only Great Balls of Fire was a hit in the part of the country I lived in. Not even on the juke box at school dances just Great Balls Of Fire. I know he disliked Elvis too. He even has said so in so many words. I am talking 1950's when I grew up not the present. So it's not that weird because it was true for me and the teen club I belonged to.
    Last edited by Tommy; 08-09-2006 at 11:49 AM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

I don't think JLL reached the popularity that Elvis did, not saying he wasn't popular, but just not in the same league...

JLL ruined his career because of the scandal of marrying his 13 year old cousin and never regained that back...

In the movie Great Balls of Fire...Elvis said to JLL "Take it, take it all"...I find it hard to believe that Elvis would say that...It's not as if they were in competition...why would Elvis be jealous of Jerry? There's no reason...IMO..

franny

Backstage Pass
    I'm just listening to JLL's 1979 self-titled album featuring James Burton on lead guitar and songs like Rockin' My Life Away.
    It was engineered by Bones Howe.
    It is one terrific album
    rick
    rick

NEVER LIKED HIS SINGING AND NEVER HEARD A GOOD THING FROM HIM ABOUT ELVIS,EVEN IF HE SAID ANYTHING ..I DON'T LIKE EITHER WHAT I SEE IN HIS EYES, KINDA HATES EVERYONE AROUND.. DON'T KNOW THOUGH..BUT IF WE TALK ABOUT A JEALOUS ONE, IT WASN'T ELVIS FOR SURE..

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    NEVER LIKED HIS SINGING AND NEVER HEARD A GOOD THING FROM HIM ABOUT ELVIS,EVEN IF HE SAID ANYTHING ..I DON'T LIKE EITHER WHAT I SEE IN HIS EYES, KINDA HATES EVERYONE AROUND.. DON'T KNOW THOUGH..BUT IF WE TALK ABOUT A JEALOUS ONE, IT WASN'T ELVIS FOR SURE..

If you watch the interview with Jerry on the new 4 disc DVD set of the Chuck Berry film Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll, you will see Jerry say some very nice things about Elvis. I can't remember word for word, but he does praise Elvis' talent and say what a great guy he was. Also says something like you would have to be nuts to try to follow Elvis on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    If you watch the interview with Jerry on the new 4 disc DVD set of the Chuck Berry film Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll, you will see Jerry say some very nice things about Elvis. I can't remember word for word, but he does praise Elvis' talent and say what a great guy he was. Also says something like you would have to be nuts to try to follow Elvis on stage.

Absolutly he did, great dvd set too wasn't it? The only bad thing I ever heard him really say was just that He was tougher which is as close to the real word as I'll print here, then Elvis , he drank more, took more pills and was still kicking and rocking at 57. The guy Liked Elvis, all those Sun guys liked each other, Elvis liked them too, he covered their songs made them money that way, talked them up to his fan base. Everyone in press and books and movies always wants to make some big rivalry but I have a hard time buying it for the reasons I've already mentioned. Great guys.

There are some all time greats like Ray Charles for instance who Elvis talked up , who ended up bashing him later after Elvis died. I don't really think I heard Elvis ever say anything bad about any of them and very few that knew him say anything bad about Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Got that one also Rick, indeed fantastic.....well they all are really. I also think it's great James Burton played along jerry's side that many times and still does till this day

James Burton is one of the under rated back up men in music history. Most music people know him, most fans still don't seem to have a clue. He worked with a lot of the early greats , Elvis and another favorite of mine Ricky Nelson to name two where I thought he really did some good work. I'm looking forward to hearing what comes out of the Elvis week chats with the friends of Elvis from James Burton

Backstage Pass
    Hi Unchained.
    James is still a great guitarist. He was playing with JLL in 97 when I was in Memphis but sadly the gig was sold out so i missed out
    I saw JLL as part of a legends of rock tour here to Australia in about 1990. He had an off night and didn't seem to enthusiastic but another night was filmed and he seemed fine.
    A bit like Elvis i guess - they all have their less exciting nights
    rick
    rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast