95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flaming Star

59 62.11%
  • Charro

36 37.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaming Star or Charro

Flaming Star or Charro

What western movie do you like more? I think Flaming Star is my favorate Elvis western.
    Last edited by elvis fan 1976; 08-06-2006 at 02:43 AM.
    I did it my way.

I think Flaming Star is a great movie, but I have to go with Charro!!!!!!!!!!! How can you beat a rugged bearded Elvis!!!!!!!!! Also the scene where he is branded with a cattle prod, I still have to hide behind cusions.!!
    Life is beautiful, enjoy every second of it!! And don't forget to love!!

I don't know what it was but to me there was something extra sexy about Elvis in Charro.........

i like flamingstar more than charro
    why?
    the story the acting elvis looks
    its just a better movie

To me "Flaming Star" wins hands down! It's a very good movie with a great story and Elvis really shows that he was an actor! The movie called "Charro" is boring to death. If you cut it down to 45 minutes it could be a nice TV-film, but there is simply not enough happening to fill two hours. But Elvis looked cooler in "Charro!". Unfortunately, that's the only good thing about that film.

Charro
    Why?
    Because he looks cooler in it

Not even close for me, Charro. Elvis, Victor French both did a great job, under rated story IMO. I loved it. Had more fans at the time turned out for it maybe Elvis could have shook the "formula films" he hated so much . Though I kinda like them all but the Trouble with Girls. Which not even liking Elvis could save for me.

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar
    I voted for Flaming Star. Charro was his first non singing film apart from the title song. Elvis made 3 or 4 western films, if you count Stay Away Joe as a western comedy.
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

Charro

Even though I love the movie Flaming Star, I like Charro better. Good story, good acting and Elvis looks just cool in it. I just like the "older" Elvis better.

Backstage Pass
    To me, Flaming Star is a far superior movie than Charro. The direction by the brilliant Don Siegle, is very well executed as it captures the dramatic emotion intertwined with the brutal nature of the film. The supporting actors are marvelous:Richard Jaekyl, Dolores Del Rio, John McIntire, Barbara eden, Steve Forrest. The characters are flehed out realistically and the cast works well of one another.

Although Charro has some decent actors and a well intentioned story line, the script is not written well and the directing is bland and uninspired. This creates a plodding and often boring presentation.

Elvis' look, as well as the intro, seems to have been copied from the Sergio Leone westerns. Yes, the look is good for Elvis but the overall film lacks any decent quality. It is a move in the right direction but should have been much better.

Backstage Pass
    Coincidentally my friend Harley Payette recently wrote this excellent article on ?Charro!?
    Do have a look as his articles are always very thoughtful.

?Charro!?
    Filmed in July/August 1968 (after the sensational 'Comeback Special' recording) "Charro!" was Elvis' 29th movie and finally a role where Elvis did no singing at all.
    The film poster stated, "On his neck he wore the brand of a killer. On his hip he wore vengance."
    "A different kind of role.. A different kind of man."
    Unfortunately the results were not much better than the worst formula musicals.
    The failure of the movie is all the more frustrating because you can see in "Charro" the outlines of a much better film and maybe a different future in Hollywood for Elvis.

Go here for full article with photos

Cheers
    Piers

AussieMick
    I have to go with Charro on this one.Great story and excellent western very comparable with any Clint Eastwood western of the time to.

Like one Finnish movie magazine just wrote; Flaming Star is one of the best western movies ever made, and gave it 4 from 5.

Charro!.... well, Elvis sure looked great and make good role, but Charles Warren was so wrong man to do western film. I mean, he had written and directed plenty of westerns, but he didn't know how to direct anything. Maybe this would have been good movie for Elvis to direct, he was interested about film making.

Flaming Star by a mile. Better acting, better script and better story. Yes, Elvis looks cool in Charro, but wasn't the question about which was the better movie?

Both very good - but Flaming Star better

I like Flaming Star a little bit more because of the thema music.
    With Rollin' Greetings!

Kai

Flaming Star
    If I Can DreamIf I Can DreamIf I can Dream

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I don't know what it was but to me there was something extra sexy about Elvis in Charro.........
    the beard. THE BEARD

Thumbs up

Cool debate here between the 2 filmsbut I just gotta' run with Flaming Star. I prefer the typical cowboy/indian deal. Elvis really had his deal together in Charro as far as his looks for the movie though.

rams
    .the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image......................

nicolamarie2005

charro

definetly charro! nothing beats a bearded ruged elvis.... yummy

Cadillac King
    Echoing my ex-wife's sentiments: "The only good thing about 'Charro' is the title song".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast