Thread: 'Sylvia' did Elvis sing it live?

'Sylvia' did Elvis sing it live?

Hi guys,
    Can anyone tell me if Elvis ever sang this powerful song live, if so, what cd can I find it on? thanks, Terry

Yes , he did!I've got the live version but I don't know from what concert is taken cos a friend of mine gave it to me!
    and I love you so..people ask me how..how I've lived 'till now

Completely agree Leroy, really is one of those powerful songs that Elvis could really belt out and would sound great live! Thanks for the info MISSCLAWDY
    Can anyone else tell us what cd it's on?
    Terry

I'll try to ask her i'll let you know!

Backstage Pass
    as far as i know. elvis never did that one live.

Yes he did! i've got the live version!

It have to be audience recording, right?

How is the sound quality?
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

The reason I asked is because I recently downloaded a version that was supposed to be 'live', but the quality is amazing! it sounds to me as if someone has taken an alternate version, and added the sound of the crowd to it, which made me want to investigate further...

Cadillac King
    I`ve heard the live version too!
    I can`t remember what album it was though.

It's fairly safe to say that if Elvis did ever perform 'Sylvia' live (though it is unlikely), it as yet remains unreleased on CD, be it via audience or professional recording equipment/mixing desk.

Not having heard the track in question, I would suggest Terry is more than likely correct when he says ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Terry the Ted
    it sounds to me as if someone has taken an alternate version, and added the sound of the crowd to it, which made me want to investigate further...
    I have heard a rather effective 'faux live' version of 'Way Down' where someone has used a similar process with an alternate take of that track.

Sounds interesting however.
    Last edited by spinout-designs; 08-03-2006 at 07:05 PM.

A live version of "Sylvia"? I think we can safely say with 99% certainty that it never happened and that any recording is a fake. (Remember that Jimmy Ellis recording of "If" that some fans thought was Elvis?) Anyway, Sylvia is a gorgeous song and it would have been great sung live, but I'll believe it when I hear it.
    "The way you looked, the sound of your laughing..."

The reason I asked is because I recently downloaded a version that was supposed to be 'live', but the quality is amazing! it sounds to me as if someone has taken an alternate version, and added the sound of the crowd to it, which made me want to investigate further...
    Now i'm starting having doubts as well..... it's not an audience recording, the quality is good but I can't tell you if it's a fake.It might be but it might not

Here is the version that I downloaded, couldn't put it directly into the forum so I have uploaded it onto megaupload.com, just click on the link below and download it, then you can decide for yourself...
    After reading all of your comments, I have made my mind up that it is a fake, but hey, you decide...
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5I7QRV84

Terry

After a lot of talking at last the song itself
    My comments/analizing results:
    FAKE:
    1. The 'thank you very muches" are taken from a concert but from an concert a couple of years later as when Sylvia was recorded (1970?), problably around 72/73 I guess becouse he sounds as on the MSG recordings. He sounds a bit more mature there as during his Vegas engagements in the early 70s.
    2. The aplause starts as it should but is obiously faded to a lower volume after the start of the song in stead of everybody stoping clapping randomwize. Check aded sample's to heare the difference.
    Also during the early 1970's Vegas concerts (that's the period when "Sylvia" came out and thats how Elvis voice sounded as on this "live" recording or any studio recording of Sylvia) Elvis usualy talked a lot between the different songs and most people weren't clapping anymore when the next song was started. The only thing you would heare is some rumour untill the first few seconds of the song, then after people recognised it they would start clapping enthausiastic.
    3. During the first minute or sow you can still heare the audience rumouring in the background as if there is a live audience listning to the performance. Clever done but with the wrong kind of aplause:
    If you listen closely you can heare them still clapping energitic as if some great song just had it's finale, so it doesn't sound like a croud of enthausiastic people who are talking to eachother about the song or Elvis (rumour). Just listen to some bad audience recordings in the midle of a song and you know what I mean.
    The aplause on this "live" recording fades away at a surtain punt and from then on it sounds just as a normal studio recording. I think that the aplause is taken from the first cd edition of Aloha from Hawaii, not with the white cover (this one sounds quite diferent from the original recordings due to the remastering) but with the original looking coverart with the satalite on a black background and planet earth in the corner. Those recordings have the same kind of aplause.
    I shall try to find out from wich songs it's taken.
    Problably the auplause is looped to keep it going throughout the beginning of the song.
    4. The instruments used. When Joe Guercio's orchestra acompanies a song it just sounds a lot different.
    Where are the sweet inspirations, Voice and JD Sumner & The Stamps? If this was live then they would problably acompany Elvis, at least during the refrains.
    5. Where's the echo of the instruments and E's voice throughout the fake concert hall/auditorium? There is some echo over Elvis' voice and instruments, but it's a standard studio echo, if you sing in a large hall it gets a much more deeper sound. No mather ow bad the recording of a concert is, you always can heare that hall echo somewere along with the audience rumour.
    6. Where's the big finaly that most of Elvis' dramatic songs like this get when they are sung live? I can imagine a finale as done in Can't Help Falling with the words "With yououou" at the end but now with the words "With meeeee", this would be aded after the last "With me" as it is now. If you listen closely you can Elvis' voice actualy softely making the sound of such finaly after the last words of the song. Also with an ending of such dramatic song Elvis and backgrounndsingers would have been the last thing you would heare at the ending, now the music go's on for a few seconds and gives the song an ending as is done on a lot of studio recordings who don't fade out.

Appart from the audience the song sounds different becouse it indeed is an alternate recording. The instruments sound exactly the same except for a few changes as with every alternate takes.

Don't know if this is brought out officialy once as an live recording (problably not, sounds homemade) but it happens more often. Also officialy. For example Bridge Over Troubled Water on the the Thats The Way It Is album. During the whole song you can't heare any live audience rumour (no hall full of people could ever be so quit) except during the finaly. Sudenly an auplause recording FADES in (not like people who are starting to clap randomwize but as turning the volume up from an auplause recording)
    RCA likes fooling around with aplause tapes I guess, just listen to the album "On Stage". There's a very energetic aplause wich is fading in stead of randomwize beginning and stopping at the points where Elvis should tell jokes and a lot of other talk between the songs. RCA didn't liked all that "crap" so they just edited it out (just compare with other non RCA live albums from the early 70s)

Well well what a story it became
    Hope I made my point: it's fake
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow Geert!
    you really do know your stuff don't you! As I said, I had already decided it was a fake, but you know how to put it into the right words
    Nice comparison with the crowd recordings, I can really see what you mean
    I guess that it kind of makes up your mind for you when you read Geert's comments, but what does everyone else think?

After listening to the file, it is clear that the sound of the audience together with additional comments from Elvis have been added to alternate take number 9 of 'Sylvia' to create the illusion of a live performance.

The correct studio outtake of 'Sylvia' (take 9) can be found on the FTD CD 'The Nashville Marathon'.

Roustabouts
    I think its been established that it is indeed a fake and i agree but hey!! it's GREAT
    this is the kind of song i was thinking of in the thread i started Elvis under rated songs http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=8272
    the kind you never hear on the radio or tv and perhaps only Elvis fans have heard them makes you feel like turning up your music system full blast opening the windows and saying "GET A LOAD OF THIS"

Quote Originally Posted by earlvince
    I think its been established that it is indeed a fake and i agree but hey!! it's GREAT
    this is the kind of song i was thinking of in the thread i started Elvis under rated songs http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=8272
    the kind you never hear on the radio or tv and perhaps only Elvis fans have heard them makes you feel like turning up your music system full blast opening the windows and saying "GET A LOAD OF THIS"
    Totally agree earlvince, well said!

Wow Geert!
    you really do know your stuff don't you! As I said, I had already decided it was a fake, but you know how to put it into the right words
    Nice comparison with the crowd recordings, I can really see what you mean
    I guess that it kind of makes up your mind for you when you read Geert's comments, but what does everyone else think?
    Thanks Terry!
    It's really a pity that this song isn't performed live becouse I agree with the others that it's just the right song for it and I think it would sound fantastic.

it's the same version I've got, so I think we can definitely say it's a fake!!!thanks guys!