Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis virus is spreading

Elvis virus is spreading

It started with my daughter (10), she is Elvis crazy now for a while I even have to make her cdr-s. When I asked my dad (71) what he wanted for fathersday, he said TTWII-se, because he liked it so much the last time he saw it at my place. And he was a real big Sinatra fan only. I suspect my mam (65) still secretly in love with the man. And last night I found my husband (43) reading the fanclub magazine. O, and he turned up the volume in my car (E. only environment). So we are making big steps now

I would love to read about your experiences of spreading the virus

Cadillac King

Cool

My wife can make out that E had a sore throat during the 68 Special ! but now we mostly agree to listen on via the headphones. For the two of us we have 3 DVD players, 2 TVs and 2 PCs...plus our office lap tops

I have converted a couple of people with a selected range of CDRs ....and also lending a couple of movies on DVD..... " I didnt know Elvis did that ..." is the most common reaction.

jb

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    That's great, Anoushka and Rajiv.

My wife is a fan. In fact she was a fan before I became one, and the inadvertent reason why I did. That's another long story...maybe later.

Our 3 young sons (19 months, 5 and 7) are fans. I have a video of the oldest lipsynching--well, sort of--and gesturing, fist-pumping, etc. to What Now My Love, of all things when he was 2 or 3, and it is the funniest thing! We laugh so hard, we cry over that one. Also, around that same age was his first trip to Graceland. When we walked in the front door, he said, "I'm ready to see him now." The middle child likes Elvis a lot too and requests different songs from time to time. The nineteen month-old...I will hold him up and show him some of the different framed photos I have of Elvis with other people (co-stars, fellow musicians, Kang Rhee, etc.) and ask him which one is Elvis, and he'll point to the right guy every time. And it's not a matter of my having taught him which one to point to; he simply recognizes him, and the pictures are from '55 to '77.

My 18 year-old sister-in-law is a fan. In fact most of my wife's family is. My parents grew up in the early 70's, and aren't really Elvis fans. But when we took them to Graceland in December of '99, they all really enjoyed that--my dad, especially, it seems like. I could tell he really got a lot out of the experience because he commented that he just had this overwhelming feeling of sadness going through the house. He said, here we were, going through this man's house, seeing all his things, and it was just such a sad thing that he was not there instead. There really is no denying his presence in that place, for sure.

Regarding the CDR's, jb, it's funny because just the other day I was thinking of posting a question/request on here about what kind of compilation you would come up with for an "Elvis fan persuasion kit", you know, something that really makes an impression on people and draws that kind of response from him like you said: "I didn't know Elvis did that." A real eye-opener...something that could be called Beyond Teddy Bears And Hound Dogs--not to belittle those songs, but I think you know what I mean. I don't have such a compilation myself; that's why I was asking to see what you all might come up with. (Actually, if anyone has the inclination to post on this, it might be best to start a new thread.)
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgude
    My wife can make out that E had a sore throat during the 68 Special ! jb

Quote Originally Posted by jbgude
    I have converted a couple of people with a selected range of CDRs ....and also lending a couple of movies on DVD..... " I didnt know Elvis did that ..." is the most common reaction.

jb
    Yeah I made a similar cd, with the not so known songs for the general public or not so familiar performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    My wife is a fan. In fact she was a fan before I became one, and the inadvertent reason why I did. That's another long story...maybe later.
    Thanks for sharing that great story Bobby, why dont you try and tell us this one too?

TCB Mafia
    Nice idea P.S. Annie,

Interesting to read for sure.

There are a few people i would like to think i converted...and a few more that i helped convert partly...which is better than them not even giving Elvis a go at all. And believe me there are people who only have to hear the name and they cringe. Only they know why But one example was at work. A guy in his 50's who just plain bad mouthed elvis everytime he came into conversation - which with me is quite often. He had a few choice words thrown in his direction...but only mild. I've long since past worrying what other people think And that was that.
    Now it is strange because overall he has a good taste in music ( in my opinion ) so i thought, if only he heard more of elvis i'm sure i could convince him.

A few months later i was having a barbecue at my house...something i do very often during the summer months. Usually Elvis barbecue's with Elvis blasting out in the background....So Cool !
    Anyhow, i decide to invite him and his wife...without mentioning the Elvis bit. And sure enough the night came and he turned up at the correct time. Now his face was a picture for sure when he heard the music. But to be fair to him he did not complain...just enjoyed the beer..the food and the company...and before long the music too !

Now, he has bought Elvis cd's and has a mini collection going. He still only likes the more obscure tracks ( as he puts it ) and doesn't like the likes of Hound Dog or Jailhouse Rock. But hey...there is time. He is turning and now won't have a bad word said about elvis' music.

Oh yes, i forgot. He is from Wales...as i said in his late 50's and his name is Jones....Tom Jones Crazy huh
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider
    Nice idea P.S. Annie,

Interesting to read for sure.
    Thanks Nightrider

A few months later i was having a barbecue at my house...something i do very often during the summer months. Usually Elvis barbecue's with Elvis blasting out in the background....So Cool !
    When?

Oh yes, i forgot. He is from Wales...as i said in his late 50's and his name is Jones....Tom Jones Crazy huh
    Poor guy

TCB Mafia
    Thanks P.S. Annie ,

They happen almost every Sunday throughout the Summer....great nights i can tell you Good Beer...Good Food...Good Company...and exceptionally good music

As for Tom being a poor guy....yep...but he is used to the jokes by now, and at least he is turning in the right direction...elvis wise that is
    TCB Chris.

my son is 6 and is a very avid fan

Quote Originally Posted by shottaglory
    Well, you can never start to soon with a good education

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by shottaglory
    Now thats what i like to hear...welcome to tcb-world shottaglory
    TCB Chris.

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Also, around that same age was his first trip to Graceland. When we walked in the front door, he said, "I'm ready to see him now."
    Indeed very !!!

International Level
    Well, I guess in my family I'm the first convert Practically spoon fed Elvis since I was a baby by my much older half sister.
    Later my mom, through symbiosis became a fan.

More recently though, I sent a co-worker who was having a bad day a cheer-up e-mail with the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" attached to it, so as she read it, the song played. It not only cheered her up, it made her ask for more "fun" stuff. Soon after the "Ode to a Robin" soundbite was posted here, so I sent that one to her, too. Now through Elvis' great laugh she became interested and now is getting into his music!

Some time ago my niece visited with her 2 year old son. He saw some DVD's lying around (of "Tim" with Mel Gibson, "The Pirates of the Carribbean" with Johnny Depp and two of Elvis, one of which was "Kid Galahad"). He picked up the Elvis DVD, pointed at the picture and then said his own name
    He, in his two year old mind, thought it was a picture of him, LOL. He kept pointing at it and then put it next to some other picture frames with real family photos in them. We almost couldn't stop laughing
    (that's the cutie in the pic with his old aunt! There's some weird spots in the pic, I guess the lense was a bit dirty )
    Last edited by Cherokee; 02-01-2005 at 04:52 AM.

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar

Talking

LOL! Thats a great Convert-Technic! Sending someone that laughing version!!!

Oh Mommah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P.S. Annie
    It started with my daughter (10), she is Elvis crazy now for a while I even have to make her cdr-s. When I asked my dad (71) what he wanted for fathersday, he said TTWII-se, because he liked it so much the last time he saw it at my place. And he was a real big Sinatra fan only. I suspect my mam (65) still secretly in love with the man. And last night I found my husband (43) reading the fanclub magazine. O, and he turned up the volume in my car (E. only environment). So we are making big steps now

I would love to read about your experiences of spreading the virus

It happend in our family also.My nephew Erick is 13 and he is an Elvis Fan.He ask for a guitar for his birthday and he got it.Guess what he plays?Yes!Elvi's music.So far he plays alot of Elvi's music.He will be playing Blue Christmas and other Elvi's tune during Xmas eve and Xmas day.I am trill to death!

Merry Christmas to you all and Happy New Year!

TCB,

Veronik

It's brilliant how Elvis runs through families. I'm a second generation fan, with my Dad and Uncle both being fans. I think those fans with kids should make that concerted effort to share the music as these will be the next generation of fans. Sure, some will pick up on Elvis' music independently, but that will be increasingly difficult with radio/music television playlists not featuring Elvis enough. The important thing about making kids aware of him is that, more often than not, once someone gets what all the fuss is about they are a fan for life

Not sure I've ever really converted someone to the point that they became a major fan. I've prompted the occasional greatest hits purchase and increased respect for the man among friends.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    It's funny to see that little kids are so easily atracted to Elvis. It must be his friendly face and his great smile.

And Elvis has recorded many easy songs that kids can like. And when they're getting older they can choose from a wide range of other genres, moods and voices of Elvis. There's always something for everybody
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    WHAT A GREAT THREAD!!!! I LOVE READING EVERYONE'S STORIES!!!

My Mom and Dad were Elvis fans (in fact, they saw him in concert in Rochester, N.Y. in 1976) and I became an Elvis fan when I happened to find some of my Mom's Elvis records in her stereo (to this day, she's still not sure whatever happened to those records....gee, I wonder where they could have gone?? )

My wife wasn't really an Elvis fan until we met, and now she is also a big fan! My daughter is quickly becoming a fan (she will be 8 in January) and, in fact, the first night she spent at home after she was born, we watched CHANGE OF HABIT on T.V., so she was being rocked to sleep as Elvis was singing RUBBERNECKIN'!!!

My son, who just turned 2, also enjoys listening to Elvis....although at this time, there is NO one for my son but The Wiggles!!! (Which is very cool with me....I LOVE The Wiggles too!!! ). But, as my son gets older, I will hopefully convert him into an Elvis fan too!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76
    My son, who just turned 2, also enjoys listening to Elvis....although at this time, there is NO one for my son but The Wiggles!!! (Which is very cool with me....I LOVE The Wiggles too!!! ). But, as my son gets older, I will hopefully convert him into an Elvis fan too!!!

TCB!
    Mike
    I'm sure you will Mike, I'm sure you will

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    THANKS FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE P.S. ANNIE!!! I WILL CERTAINLY DO MY BEST!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast