Thread: Dolly Parton tells how The Colonel stopped Elvis recording...

Dolly Parton tells how The Colonel stopped Elvis recording...

I saw this on EIN...

franny

Dolly Parton tells how The Colonel stopped Elvis recording 'I Will Always Love You': In an interview with CMT producer Jeremy Thacker about the 'Greatest Moments' of her career, Dolly Parton revealed how Elvis nearly recorded her famous song.
    Dolly Parton: "I hesitated to tell it for a long time because I thought maybe people would not take it right, because it was about Elvis. But Elvis loved "I Will Always Love You," and he wanted to record it.
    I got the word that he was going to record it, and I was so excited. I told everybody I knew, "Elvis is going to record my song. You're not going to believe who's recording my song." It's like one of those things I told everybody. I thought it was a done deal because he sent word that he loved it and he was doing it. They got to town and they called and asked if I wanted to come to the session - and, of course, I was going to go.

Then Colonel Parker gets on the phone and said, "You know, I really love this song," and I said, "You cannot imagine how excited I am about this. This is the greatest thing that's ever happened to me as a songwriter." He said, "Now you know we have a rule that Elvis don't record anything that we don't take half the publishing." And I was really quiet. I said, "Well, now it's already been a hit. I wrote it and I've already published it. And this is the stuff I'm leaving for my family when I'm dead and gone. That money goes in for stuff for my brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews, so I can't give up half the publishing." And he said, "Well then, we can't record it." I guess they thought since they already had it prepared and already had it ready, that I would give in. I said, "I'm really sorry," and I cried all night. I mean, it was like the worst thing. You know, it's like, "Oh, my God ... Elvis Presley."
    And other people were saying, "You're nuts. It's Elvis Presley. I mean, hell, I'd give him all of it." I said, "I can't do that. Something in my heart says, 'Don't do that.'" And I just didn't do it, and they just didn't do it. But I always wondered what it would sound like. I know he'd kill it. But anyway he never got to record it. Then when Whitney Houston's version came out, I made enough money to buy Graceland!

She's been telling that one for a long time . She's always been a pretty big supporter of Elvis, and currently is in that Tennessee tourisism ad video with her super imposed into a car with Elvis. I don't really dig the colonel too much.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD
    She's been telling that one for a long time . She's always been a pretty big supporter of Elvis, and currently is in that Tennessee tourisism ad video with her super imposed into a car with Elvis. I don't really dig the colonel too much.
    The Colonel was a control freak, that's for sure!

franny

International Level
    That creep wanted to take half and later sold the Elvis catalogue for a nickel and a dime. ASSHAT!

I like that song too - not Houston's version, which sounds more like a foghorn at sea to me ('and IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHIHIHIHIHIHI will always L?????-ve YOUOUOU' just doesn't sound right) - I feel that Parton's version has a more subtle quality. I also wonder what Elvis' version would have sounded like!

Anyway you look at it, I like Dolly Parton. She can make music and seems to be a friendly person; loves and respects Elvis, has often said something positive, unlike some of the Monkeys.. I guess she has gone through some things in her life and makes the best out of it. I like her Southern charm.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun
    Anyway you look at it, I like Dolly Parton. She can make music and seems to be a friendly person; loves and respects Elvis, has often said something positive, unlike some of the Monkeys.. I guess she has gone through some things in her life and makes the best out of it. I like her Southern charm.
    I second that !!! Always have liked her.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....