Thread: 1970s magazines

1970s magazines

heres a few mags i came across thought you miht like to take a look at them.
    elvislady
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1b_1.jpg   56_1.jpg   79_1.jpg  

87_1.jpg   65_1.jpg   1977-dec.jpg  

I remember some of those. I'm not set up to scan currently but I also have some old tabloid type "Photo Screen" and "Photoplay" (which actually did a nice tribute magazine for Elvis after he died) magazines from those days. They always had some sensational headline like "The day Elvis almost killed someone" that told the Mike Stone story etc.
    Last edited by JDD; 07-09-2006 at 03:41 PM.

I'm curious about Mike Stone....What is he doing now and did he ever write a book about Priscilla?

franny

He's probably back teaching Martial Arts, one thing about that profession you can set up shop almost anywhere and make a living. I'm glad Elvis didn't have the guy whacked, not that I care about him one way or another but I'd hate to have to be hearing people bash on him for that as well. Seems like I'm always defending Elvis to people and I couldn't have defended that.

I think it may be mentioned about Mike Stone in the book Elvis - What Happened?, but I haven't read it, yet...

I was just curious if Mike Stone made any public statements about Priscilla or even wrote a book...

franny

hi franny i couldnt find anything on mike stone but i found this piece of info about a book micheal edwards did (Synopsis
    Michael Edwards tells the story of his seven year love affair with Priscilla Beaulieu Presley and how their relationship was destroyed by her decision to marry Elvis Presley. He describes their relationship and Priscilla's obsessions and sexual interludes with famous actors. )
    elvislady

Boy, do I remember rushing out to the magazine store to buy these, I even remember some of these particular issues. They do bring back the memories, thanks for the post elvislady!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Great to see those magazines, thanks a lot

But OMG... how sad are those articles! I never knew that they were so trashy on Elvis. In another topic I was talking about the lack of respect that press/non-Elvisfans currently have for Elvis. But I think it may even be worse during the 70s. I've read newspaper articles about Elvis' shows and they were not objective, but even trying to mock The King with remarks like "when he bows, you can clearly see a bald spot". We all know that wasn't true (with thousands and thousands images available from all the shows).

Now it's also very understandable that Elvis rarely went to events with other celebrities and was hesitant to do interviews.

his outburst during the 1974 Las Vegas closing night is great: "magazines.... I don't read them....because they are all JUNK.... "
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

hi susan
    thanks for sharing
    elvislady

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elvislady
    hi franny i couldnt find anything on mike stone but i found this piece of info about a book micheal edwards did (Synopsis
    Michael Edwards tells the story of his seven year love affair with Priscilla Beaulieu Presley and how their relationship was destroyed by her decision to marry Elvis Presley. He describes their relationship and Priscilla's obsessions and sexual interludes with famous actors. )
    elvislady
    I read this book and Michael tells the story about his relationship with Priscilla, and how Elvis' constant presence, ie memory, kept coming up and intefering until it broke them up. This was after Elvis' death. It's a bit too much for me though, I had to skip through parts, like Priscilla's supposadely insatiable sexual appetite, with all the details, and Michaels growing attraction towards Lisa. The only thing this book is good for is a peak into Priscilla's life, as she literally went wild with some of these guys after Elvis, moving in with them, Lisa and all. Elvis should have had Lisa during this time.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Wow, thanks for sharing these "magazine" covers. There are some interesting photos. But, personally, I don't like that crap. Sorry, can't call it of any other way. That's why "journalists" and them bosses have bad fame. Those articles were made for earning money only, though some of the stories told there are really terrible...

Finding magazines here in Mexico about Elvis is extremely difficult. Well, I'm happy I don't find awful material like "Photoplay" or something similar...
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by elvislady
    elvislady
    Thanks, elvislady for the info...I appreciate you checking! I'm curious if anyone knows more on Mike Stone...

I did read that book that Michael Edwards wrote, but I seem to have misplaced it......Regarding, the info you mention above...Priscilla and Michael Edwards didn't get together till after she divorced Elvis and I believe it was even after her relationship with Mike Stone...Michael Edwards is something else, in his book, he states he had started having strong feelings for Lisa Marie...

franny

I also read the book by Michael Edwards and wasn't impressed with him at all. He kisses and tells! I have more respect for Mike Stone. Not a peep out of him since he and Priscilla broke up. He went on with teaching karate and on with his life staying out of the limelight

i saw this book on amazon but when i read the synopsis i wasent sure about it so i didnt get it. i have just orderd jerry shillings new book i think that will be good.
    The next four weeks will see a number of potentially excellent Elvis books released. Leading the pre-sales race is Jerry Schilling's memoir, Me and A Guy Named Elvis, while other titles include The Blue Moon Boys (The Story of Elvis Presley's Band (Burke & Griffin); , Fortunate Son The Life of Elvis Presley (Charles Ponce De Leon); and Elvis Religion The Cult of the King (Gregory L. Reece). Advance sales of the Schilling memoir are well ahead of the other titles. i also found this on elvis news. elvislady
    Last edited by elvislady; 07-12-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Great to see those magazines, thanks a lot

But OMG... how sad are those articles! I never knew that they were so trashy on Elvis. In another topic I was talking about the lack of respect that press/non-Elvisfans currently have for Elvis. But I think it may even be worse during the 70s. I've read newspaper articles about Elvis' shows and they were not objective, but even trying to mock The King with remarks like "when he bows, you can clearly see a bald spot". We all know that wasn't true (with thousands and thousands images available from all the shows).

Now it's also very understandable that Elvis rarely went to events with other celebrities and was hesitant to do interviews.

his outburst during the 1974 Las Vegas closing night is great: "magazines.... I don't read them....because they are all JUNK.... "
    I totaly agree with you Albert. I wasn't born yet back in the 70s so I was realy surprised to see all the negative gossip of these magazines. I also didn't knew that back then the press was already negative about E.. I think that these gossip creators are from all times and that they always have and will be creating negative talk about famous people, becouse that couses sensation and that's just what the people who read these crapy magazines want. This makes it indeed a bit more understandable why E. lived so quite isolated.
    Very interesting pictures but the magazines who published it back then are all crap in my opinion

I have not heard some of these topics before! were they going to remarry again?! did really elvis collapse after divorce?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mistymorning
    I have not heard some of these topics before! were they going to remarry again?! did really elvis collapse after divorce?!!!

The same here...I didn't know about it!