Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another slam against Elvis...

The Scene

Here's the scene:

If Jagger or McCartney had made that kind of Statement then it would be most upsetting and controversial...but Davey 'Monkee' Jones??!!....c'mon everybody, let's put this into perspective!!
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Quote Originally Posted by NEA
    Here's the scene:

If Jagger or McCartney had made that kind of Statement then it would be most upsetting and controversial...but Davey 'Monkee' Jones??!!....c'mon everybody, let's put this into perspective!!

I agree...as I've already said...I don't know who this Davey Jones is...so who

cares about him!

You have to wonder who'll say something controversial about Elvis next.

I know if someone other than an Elvis fan were to see my reply they would say I'm biased because I'm such a fan of his.

All due respect to the other artists Davey Jones mentioned, Elvis was the "Undisputable King of Rock 'n Roll". There may not have been any of those other artists without Elvis coming first. You can't really put Elvis with other artists because he wasn't part of a group. He stood alone. He not only changed our music but our culture. He is an Icon whether you are a fan or not. It's just a fact. The 20th Century would not have evolved the way it has if he had not been in the picture. I believe he was destined to do what he did.

Who cares what Davey Jones thinks. I'm surprised anyone would be interested enough in his remarks to even publish them. I think I last saw him on the "Brady Bunch Movie" where he played himself. If someone's claim to fame is a few hit records, a goofy television series, and parts in Brady Bunch shows I would be embarrassed to make such a bold statement.

My 2 cents worth.
    ..........................Gayle...........................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
    It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
    It was the beginning of a new music.
    They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
    ..................by me

Jaelousy of course. He mentioned these idols because he himself considers them to be the greatest ones too. And they are. No.1 is Elvis of course. Davy Jones could have not made it in the sixties if there hadn't been Elvis Presley. So he'd better shut up. Over

James Burton played on the Monkees records.
    "I always liked that hillbilly."

-Waymore

I knew James Burton played for Ricky Nelson but, I didn't know he played for the Monkeys.
    ..........................Gayle...........................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
    It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
    It was the beginning of a new music.
    They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
    ..................by me

Mad Tigers
    Davy Jones...

what a friggin loser lol

the only reason i even know who he is, is because i saw him on a Brady Bunch episode where Marcia was in love with him haha

Actually, the Monkees made some great music. And they did sing and write on some of their later records (not that it really matters).

I've met Davy Jones before and he was a friendly guy. He is just expressing an opinion. It happens to be one I do not agree with, but he has a right to say it. Frankly, I have heard a lot worse said about Elvis - and some of it by those who were friends and family.

And cut it out with the short jokes. It is offensive.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Cadillac King
    I think he noticed that the other guy got attention with his remark about Elvis and decided to do the same, so he can be in the "spotlights" again, Afterall, it's easier to say bad things about someone than good things. (Nobody wants to hear the good stuff only the juicy parts.) I find it pathetic and it shows how bad a person can be. It seems that only we Elvis-fans are realistic enough to look beyond Elvis as entertainer and take him for what he was.
    By the way, not all shorties are bad. Lol. I'm short too you know (1.38 meters to be exact) and married to a guy who is as tall as Elvis. A funny combination I must admit, but not an impossible thing. And believe me, I would have loved to embrace Elvis's waist, just as I do my hon's. Lol. It has one advantage, you know, at least I never would get backpains, because I never have to bend everytime I want to embrace his waist. Lol.
    And Nashville cat, thanks for standing up for us shorties, but we're used to remarks (and I know they not mean it bad or mean in here. At least I don't take it personal.) and some are much worse then said here.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003_0712_231415AA.JPG  
    Last edited by TCE; 06-30-2006 at 01:06 PM.

TCE, I am short too. Normally, nothing like that bothers me, but I thought there were a couple of cheap shots taken.

I agree, Jones was probably making this statement for the publicity. (I guess it is working, when is the last time you've seen his name in the news?) However, sometimes it pays to listen to what somebody has to say, and intelligently disagree rather than immediately blast the person.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12