Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how tall was elvis really?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car
    I believe Ali is 6' 3".

Correct Joe. At his height of height, Ring Record Book listed him at 6 ft 3 inches and 215 to 220 was his best weight and when those pictures were taken before the first Kenny Norton - Ali fight, where Elvis gave him the robe, He was 220 so, he was considerably bigger weight wise (at the time) and a couple 2 -3 inches in height then Elvis, who trust me I've been in, and the Army papers won't lie. If they said he was 6 then he was 6 ft when they measured him that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004
    Muhammad Ali is 6' 2'' and when you see the picture of him and Elvis together Elvis looks shorter than Ali. That is why I think Elvis was around 5' 10''. In the pictures of them two together it looks that Elvis is around 5 inches shorter than Ali.
    5 inches shorter? Sorry, no. The height between the centre of someone's eyes to the top of their head is on average 4.5 inches. The top of Elvis' head is way above Ali's eyes. The best way to judge that pic is to draw a line from Elvis' eyes across to Ali. If Ali's head was level, rather than looking up, Elvis' eyes would be just under his nose - so about 2 inches or a little more below Ali's eyes. Ali was most likely 6ft 2.5 - at least that was his listing when he was Cassius Clay. Pics don't tell the whole story either, particularly when we can't see feet. Plus Ali has his arm around Elvis' shoulder, which is a common trick people use in pics to get a height advantage. Not suggesting Ali was doing that, but it still has that effect.

Elvis was no way 5'10. That's absurd. His army records actually claim two heights - one barefoot and one with his boots. Recruits were measured twice. The barefoot height is 6'0.5 and the height with boots is 6'1.75. Elvis was therefore just a tiny bit over 6 foot.

In that pic with Sonny West, Elvis is either the same height or a tiny bit taller. West was 6'2, so Elvis is likely wearing boots with a large heel, which he was fond of wearing in the 70s.

Cadillac King
    From what I heared Elvis was about 1, 85 meters. It's possible that he used heellifts to look taller, but I'm not sure.

Christel (TCE)

hi tce thats what i have read he wore lifts in his shoes not sure if its true or not only elvis knows that one.
    elvislady
    Last edited by elvislady; 07-12-2006 at 12:25 PM.

in a concert he complains that he is 6f.1 and the microphone is 6f.3! then I thin we should accept elvis ,s own idea about his height!

I'm a huge Ali fan. From all the info I have Ali is 6'3". When he and Elvis are standing beside of one another Elvis looks no taller than 6' in my opinion. My Dad was about 5'11". Elvis was taller than he was. I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 inches. When I saw Elvis he was taller than I expected him to be. He didn't look that tall on T.V. Then again you don't know how high Elvis' shoes were whenever you saw him. The heels on his boots were at least 2 inches, I'd guess.

Lisa says he was 6'2"........This reminds me of something I heard one of the members of the Stamps Quartet say. The guy was to have sung a solo part in a gospel song on stage and he was afraid. The guy told Elvis but, you're so big and I'm not that famous. Elvis told the guy something to this effect - I'm not that big I'm only 6'2". That's always stuck in my head... Was Elvis talking about his height with his shoes on?
    Last edited by songs4u; 07-16-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    ..........................Gayle...........................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
    It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
    It was the beginning of a new music.
    They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
    ..................by me

My husband and I were in about the 4th row from the stage when we saw Elvis in Tahoe. That's pretty close. My husband is 5' 11-l/2 and Elvis appeared to be very close to his height. So my guess would be 6', a half inch more or less. They even wore the same size clothing and shoes.

Backstage Pass
    Elvis was 5'11 barefoot and 6' with shoes on.With his lifts in the 70's he was around 6'1 1/2.Early documents filled out by Elvis himself said 5'11.I guess he got tired of saying that so he just rounded it up to 6'0.His height with shoes on.

elvis measurments

heres some intresting measurments from elvis early years.

http://www.elvispresleynews.com/GoldLameSuit.html
    elvislady

Molly
    I remember reading somewhere about that picture with Ali. Elvis raised up on his toes to appear taller than Ali so Ali raised up on his toes to be taller than Elvis on his toes. Notice Ali also has his neck stretched a bit which would also add height.
    I think it is impossible to compare the height between two people in a picture like this, we have no way of knowing what type of shoes they are wearing.
    I don't think Elvis wore 'lifts' which go inside the shoe but he did wear heels. I also believe the US Army would be the best 'official' measurement.

when I went to Graceland I remember thinking how smalll Elvis's costumes were.I know that clothes always look smaller with noone in them. I think Elvis was about 5 ft 11 inches tall very close to 6 ft. Its amazing to me that people who are icons like Elvis always seem much bigger on screen than they do in real life.

Roustabouts
    Elvis was measured scientifically in the army. The army records say that Elvis was 6' (183 cm) and at the time of his induction the information was precisely 6'0.5'' (184 cm) as if they rounded off 0.5'' in the rest of the army papers. Graceland Archives of EPE and Joe Esposito confirmed it and confirmed too that there is another measurement made in the army that states Elvis' height at 6'1 3/4'' (issue) and that would be his height with army footwear. In the worst of the cases, even if 6' were a rounded up figure, it should arrive from a minimum of 5'11 3/4''+ (182+ cm), because I've consulted U.S. army's method to take heights and they round heights to the nearest quarter of inch. So it's unquestionable that Elvis was somewhere very close to 6', up or down.

Elvis was 1 meter and 84 centimeter and he was wearing shoesize 46 (european).
    [Royalties come and go....... But there is only one man we always call THE KING

I posted this before but here it is again:
    There is a big debate at Celebheights.com concerning Elvis's height. According to some the Army records show Elvis 6'.05" in his bare feet at induction and the Army figures down to the nearest inch. Evidently celebheights.com had Elvis at 6'0" then downgraded him to 5'11" and 3/4. Many people were mad complaining the Armys induction figures should be the deciding factor since they had nothing to gain by inflating his height. Someone there has ordered a copy of his induction papers thru the freedom of information act and is waiting for them. (1/4 inch Controversy ha ha)

I have a cd of Elvis being interviewed, and he was asked how tall he was. He replied 6ft, in metric it is 182.88cm

Quote Originally Posted by elvislady View Post
    here is a pic of elvis and sonny at sonnys wedding and sonny was over 6ft so maybe elvis was wearing lifts here.
    there have been lots of speculation on elvis,is real height some say 5/11 some say over 6/ft i know in one or to books i have read it says he wore lifts. can anyone solve this .
    hi tce thats what i have read he wore lifts in his shoes not sure if its true or not only elvis knows that one.
    elvislady

Elvis did, in fact, wear lifts in his shoes to make himself appear taller.

A good example of Elvis's height would be a pic taken of he and Jimmy Dean in 1971. Jimmy Dean is much taller than Elvis in that picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis & Jimmy Dean (1971).jpg  

Jimmy Dean is 6ft 3 I use to watch him with Fess Parker on Daniel Boone TV series and Fess is 6ft 5 and the two of them seemed to dwarf everyone on the series.

well my friend who is 6ft and was wearing flat shoes when he met elvis said elvis was the same hight as him when he met him but elvis was wearing heels but the heels were not that big maybee an inch or so

At the weigh in for the army,it was stated that Elvis was 5 feet 11 inches tall.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

Re: how tall was elvis really?

there have been lots of speculation on elvis,is real height some say 5/11 some say over 6/ft i know in one or to books i have read it says he wore lifts. can anyone solve this .

What's going on. For me it does not matter. How high or how much ELVIS weighed.

Sorry. It was a great ARTIST!! No animal up for sale!
    I'll Remember You!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast