Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how tall was elvis really?

Roustabouts

Re: how tall was elvis really?

Also I shall stick my neck out here and say I think Elvis was 5,10 at most.

It is almost flared out but you can make out the 6 above him and with a ruler he comes out about 5,9 - his hair.
    I assume this would be quite accurate seeing as it is a police shot

(Also no matter his height, I think we would all like him just as much if he was short or tall)

Quote Originally Posted by Liamtcb View Post
    Just putting a comment in here,
    Meeting Nixon I would guess his boots to be a 2" heel or at the very least a 1,1/2" heel

as you can see here it looks like he is wearing lifts/quite large heels just by how much the flare is off the floor.
    Hope this helps somehow!
    Not that it matters how tall Elvis was to us fans, always interesting to know more about the man.
    It is not very high heels.
    on stage Elvis wore higher, I think...
    I'll Remember You!!!

Meeting Nixon I would guess his boots to be a 2" heel or at the very least a 1,1/2" heel

as you can see here it looks like he is wearing lifts/quite large heels just by how much the flare is off the floor.
    Hope this helps somehow!
    Not that it matters how tall Elvis was to us fans, always interesting to know more about the man.
    I don't think the fashion helped much in the 70s, the hem being quite high above the shoe/boot. Any smart trousers I have are 33" length so that when I have heels on, they cover the heel to aid the illusion of being taller.

Roustabouts

I Wear beatle boots (2 inch heels) Daily and with jeans or trousers that i wear with converse or similar flat shoes
    they are usually showing like the photo here. That is why i guessed at 2"

What are beatle boots? Are they like Timberlands or DMs?

Roustabouts

Ah winkle pickers

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Do you have pictoral evidence of everyday of Elvis' life documented and have you had these pictures blown up and looked at through microscopes.
    Yes, there is a great deal of pictoral evidence from virtually every week of Elvis' life in the 70s. There is also anecdotal evidence from those that were constantly around Elvis. There is no evidence of him wearing any type of flat shoes in the timeframe in question ever (1970 and particularly Dec. 1970).

The onus is on you to find proof to support you argument that Elvis may have worn flat shoes in the 70s.

Personally, I will go with the mountain of evidence which points overwhelmingly to Elvis always wearing boots (in the early 70s) with at least a 1 1/2 inch heel.
    Last edited by JRtherealJR; 01-19-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Hope this helps somehow!
    Thanks for posting this, Liamtcb. This clearly proves what I have been saying- that Elvis absolutely did not wear flat shoes to this historic meeting.
    Last edited by JRtherealJR; 01-19-2013 at 10:09 AM.

in regards to the heels in the 70's a lot a men wore boots very much like Elvis' they were the fashion. So everyone had the same uplift in height. And as the 70's wore on the height of the heels got higher 1970 heels were lower than those of say 73. And before anyone says prove it, i grew up in the 70's i know the fashion. But if you look at the boots Elvis wore in the MGM studios while he was filming TTWII they are lower than his stage shoes for the filiming.

I still don't know why it matters, sometimes i wonder why discussions can turn into accusatory whip arounds. Does it really matter, his army records give his height, his tailor gives his height,both are different, I'm sure there are other records out there that either concur or disagree with each record. But once again does it really matter if his records show slight differences in his height. Sometimes i think there is too much fighting here.

Why is there fighting on such a small matter is the bigger question i think.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    in regards to the heels in the 70's a lot a men wore boots very much like Elvis' they were the fashion. So everyone had the same uplift in height. And as the 70's wore on the height of the heels got higher 1970 heels were lower than those of say 73. And before anyone says prove it, i grew up in the 70's i know the fashion. But if you look at the boots Elvis wore in the MGM studios while he was filming TTWII they are lower than his stage shoes for the filiming.

I still don't know why it matters, sometimes i wonder why discussions can turn into accusatory whip arounds. Does it really matter, his army records give his height, his tailor gives his height,both are different, I'm sure there are other records out there that either concur or disagree with each record. But once again does it really matter if his records show slight differences in his height. Sometimes i think there is too much fighting here.

Why is there fighting on such a small matter is the bigger question i think.
    There is absolutely no fighting going on in this thread.

We are just having a gentleman's discussion.

It's hard to tell people's tones on these message boards but if we were fighting i'd be very vicious.

This is an interesting discussion Elvis is as short as 5'10 and as tall as 6'2.

I'd like to know just for the sake of knowing.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Yes, there is a great deal of pictoral evidence from virtually every week of Elvis' life in the 70s. There is also anecdotal evidence from those that were constantly around Elvis. There is no evidence of him wearing any type of flat shoes in the timeframe in question ever (1970 and particularly Dec. 1970).

The onus is on you to find proof to support you argument that Elvis may have worn flat shoes in the 70s.

Personally, I will go with the mountain of evidence which points overwhelmingly to Elvis always wearing boots (in the early 70s) with at least a 1 1/2 inch heel.
    You were the one that was saying Elvis was always wearing boots that increased his height and slippers too.

You were saying Elvis was always wearing these slipppers that increased his height.

I draw the line at ''always'' and on the slippers.

You were the one that was saying Elvis was always wearing boots that increased his height
    That's correct, I did say that because it is true for the timeframe in question.

And you were the one who was saying that Elvis sometimes wore flat shoes in the 70s and not always boots. Again, I would repeat my statement that the onus is on you to prove it please.

As I have said before, my husband and I saw Elvis in Tahoe at 10 feet away from the stage. He looked to be about the same height as my husband who is 5'11-3/4", so I give or take a 1/2 inch from that. He did not appear to have lifts in his boots.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    As I have said before, my husband and I saw Elvis in Tahoe at 10 feet away from the stage. He looked to be about the same height as my husband who is 5'11-3/4", so I give or take a 1/2 inch from that. He did not appear to have lifts in his boots.
    I'm jealous jealous jealous!
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Oh Diane..................
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I saw on the Elvis-express website that Marty Lacker said Elvis was 5' 11" with no shoes.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

You were the one that was saying Elvis was always wearing boots that increased his height and slippers too.

You were saying Elvis was always wearing these slipppers that increased his height.

I draw the line at ''always'' and on the slippers.
    Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I saw on the Elvis-express website that Marty Lacker said Elvis was 5' 11" with no shoes.
    I'd say that was well within the correct range....and he didn't look like a small man by any means...no sirreee. He was all male and the way he walked and moved across the stage did me in...his posture was perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I'd say that was well within the correct range....and he didn't look like a small man by any means...no sirreee. He was all male and the way he walked and moved across the stage did me in...his posture was perfect!
    Whoa Diane !! I hope you're not saying that a man is not a man unless he's tall dark and handsome. The measure of a man is in his heart and his deeds, the way he treats others.
    Just for the record, if you look at Elvis induction papers into the Army he is recorded as 6 foot.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast