Thread: RCA Singles Trivia - Stateside.

RCA Singles Trivia - Stateside.

Here's a few 'tidbits' for 45rpm vinyl single trivia buffs:
    • The 1956 single "Love Me Tender" / "Any Way You Want Me" was available with three different covers.
    • The 1958 single "One Night" / "I Got Stung" was the last to be issued as a '78'.
    • The 1959 single "A Fool Such As I" / "I Need Your Love Tonight" was available with two different covers.
    • The 1965 single "Do The Clam" / "You'll Be Gone" was the last single to feature 'Nipper' the dog on the top of the label.
    • The 1965 single "Crying in The Chapel" / "I Believe in the Man in the Sky" was the first to be issued with 'Nipper' on the side.
    • In 1967, RCA issued the single "There's Always Me" / "Judy" both songs taken from the 1961 hit album "Something For Everybody". "There's Always Me" reached No. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart and was Elvis' first Top Ten hit in over two years.
    • The 1968 single "A Little Less Conversation" / "Almost in Love" was the last 60's issue to feature 'Nipper' on the label and in turn was the last black label 60's single to be issued.
    • The 1968 single "If I Can Dream" / "Edge of Reality" was the first issue on the orange label.
    • The 1969 single "Suspicious Minds" / "You'll Think of Me" gave Elvis his first US Number 1 in seven years on the Billboard Hot 100.
    • The 1972 single "Burning Love" / "It's A Matter of Time" was available on both a gray and an orange label.
    • The 1974 single "It's Midnight" / "Promised Land" was issued on gray, brown and orange labels.
    • The 1975 singles "My Boy" / "Thinking About You" and "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" / "Mr. Songman" were both available on a brown or orange label. Also, the "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" single was the final orange label issue.
    • As part of RCA's Seventy-fifth Jubilee Anniversary, 'Nipper' makes a welcome return in the top right-hand corner on the black label of the the 1976 single "Moody Blue" / "She Thinks I Still Care" and the 1977 single "Way Down" / "Pledging My Love". Both sides of these singles all reached No. 1 on the Country Charts.

NEA.
    Last edited by NEA; 06-23-2006 at 06:35 PM.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Singles Covers

A couple of the covers that had more than one variation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyway & Love.jpg   I Need & A Fool.jpg  

78 no more.

The final 78rpm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Night.jpg  

It's a Dog's Life

A Change of scene for 'Nipper' and over two years between these two Top Ten singles!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crying Nipper.jpg   There's Judy.jpg  

Fade To Orange

Black with 'Nipper'...Orange without!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Little Almost.jpg   Edge of Dream.jpg  

One in Seven

A Classic Number One...again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspicious Me.jpg  

Not so Clockwork!

Goodbye Orange!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TROUBLE.jpg  

'Nipper' Country!

A Return to Black along with 'Nipper' and two Country Chart Number Ones!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moody Thinks.jpg   Way Love.jpg  
    Last edited by NEA; 06-24-2006 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks, for posting all those great covers, Nea!
    I really like the TROUBLE cover, he looks great! (as always)...

franny

Valuation

Any Fans got any know-all about the value of some of RCA's Elvis Vinyl 45's?

Cheers,

NEA.

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    45's are great to get but you need to watch out. Their is some that you might think it worth money but really it isn't. 45's being worth of money goes up and down. 45's from the 50s , I have seen go as high as 100 dollars and more. Sun 45 if they are original because there is some fakes out there, go into the thousands just because they are Elvis' first recordings....period. 78's is a different story. You can't hardly find a Elvis 78 that isn't scrach to pieces. I have only seen one Elvis 78 and it happen to be a Sun 78 and they can go higher than a 45 if it is original. Yes, they did make them and sometimes are harder to find than the 45's. Those Sun 45's that you might of have seen at Graceland are not owned by them. They are owned by fans who has loan them to Graceland. Graceland doesn't own any Sun 45 or 78. But they do have all of his RCA 45 and 78 and the actual first record of My Happiness. As for the 45s from the seventies, you got to have a special one because the most you might get is about 10 dollars. Unless it is a white label promo or one that is label one song but plays another. Example of this: At a flea market in Macon, a gentleman was selling a Elvis 45 Unchained Medley/Softly As I Leave You. Well, he thinks this is a rare item because he thinks Elvis never sung these songs until this 45. But I know different and I ask him how much. He said 20 dollars. I told him good luck. We got in a bit of a tug of war with words about this isn't a rare item and Elvis sung these songs before this was release or before the concert he sung these songs at. Example Unchained Medley is from 1977. Elvis sung that in 76. Softly As I Leave You goes back to 73 I think, maybe 74. But he think he was a know it all so I left. That was the last time I seen him at that flea market and that was 2 years ago. 60s you are looking past 20 dollars to 50 dollars maybe, again it depends on which one. 50s are the real money makers of the Elvis 45s

I know you didn't talk about LPs but I will give you heads up on these as well. 70s records you can forget it getting a lot of money unless it is a white label promo or it is a quad disc except for Aloha black cover. Other quad discs can go as high as 200 to 300 dollars and it depends on which one. The highest one I seen on Ebay so far is the Aloha from Hawaii white cover. Yes, they did make a white cover one and is a hard one to find. This is known as the Chicken of The Sea record. Advertisement of Chicken of the Sea is on the front cover. Now they made two different ones of these. Version one is the hardest of the two. It is not a gatefold at all. Both records are in single cover and are divided by a piece of cardboard that has what you see inside the gatefold. Version two is a gatefold and looks just like the black cover version but it is a white cover. Labels are not Orange at all. They are black. It was during the time of the orange labels. What this was doing was since the black cover has the orange labels on the records why not black labels on the white. THis was they won't be confuse. But they did put orange labels on some of these but not all of them. The last time I saw a black label white cover Aloha on Ebay was back in 1998 and it brought about 1000 dollars. Orange label with be in the range of 200 dollars. As for the other non quad disc you looking at 10 to 30 dollars range. The lowest is Moody Blue (Blue Vinyl). This is the most common lp of Elvis because it the new record at the time of his death. Now Black vinyl is another story, 30 dollars maybe a little more. Others range from 20 to 30. Camdems forget about it, 5 to 10 at the most, these are very very common. 60s goes some money. Soundtracks and His Hand In Mine are the money makers of the 60s. Others are ok to they are money makers to but soundtracks and His Hand In Mine goes near the 60 dollars range maybe a little more. 50s are really the true money makers because they are so hard to find, if original and not many scraches.

Valued

Elvislennon2004,

Many Thanks for your knowledge of information on this matter - a very interesting read.

Cheers,

NEA.

Backstage Pass
    Any Fans got any know-all about the value of some of RCA's Elvis Vinyl 45's?
    Cheers, NEA.
    There is a wonderful 960 page book/CD ROM called 'Solid Gold Elvis' by David Petrelle that you need to obtain. You would love it!

It is a sensational read full of vinyl pictures & RCA numbers & different logos etc etc and he explains thier rarity and & value, how to spot a fake.... etc

It also includes a list of Elvis' recordings which bootlegs they are on and much much more etc.

Last updated in 2002, ISBN 0-9710962-1-X.

I'm not sure how you can obtain it now but maybe try [email protected]

Worth searching out, a fabulous reference tool.

Cheers
    Piers