Thread: Tell about Elvis to one who doesn't know him

Coming On Strong

Tell about Elvis to one who doesn't know him

If you had a friend, and wanted to tell him and show him how great really is, what would you do, so he could get interested in our man?
    Many young teenagers today, like my self, don't even know the history about Elvis.. Only the huh huh huh, the shaking hips, and the man that got fat and died of drugs.. I wanna make a difference!

Regards
    Senad

Oh, interesting topic

I don't know what i would have done..

Maybe made a complication cd to him with many cool songs (Studio and live) and showed a lot of his cool jumpsuits and some clips from Aloha

Told him a short story (Not all at one time)
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

To me, the best thing to do would be to show him performing...something from every period of his career....this is what I'd do.
    I wouldn't give any kind of book...everyone has told his own truth about his life but if you really want to know Elvis as an artist (but also as a man) you can only see what he gave to us with his music.
    So...a mix of his performances would be better than a CD...a way to understand how he could touch your soul with his great voice, energy and power in every moment of his short life...

Show them the '68 comeback, that got the attention of everyone I have played it to
    If it's a girl, then they just can't stop staring
    and the guys get kinda mesmorised by the coolness of Elvis in the show

If that doesn't do the trick, then they really don't want to know!!

When I want to show someone Elvis I usually go with the '68 Comeback Special' or 'Thats The Way It Is.' I definitely wouldnt go with the 77 special as it shows them the only Elvis they've probably heard about. If they aren't interested or impressed in what they see in the two shows I listed, then they are either clueless or just dont have very good taste.
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I would sit them down and make them watch '68 Special or TTWII. If neither of these convinces them, I dont know what will!

There was something so special about Elvis that no one had before and no one has had since. Talking about young people today who don't know alot about him, I'll say this - my brother was a kid when he first saw Elvis. He was not even 10 years old. Today whenever we have a conversation about Elvis he says he remembers - all Elvis had to do was walk in a room without saying a word and the whole room lit up from his presence.
    He was one of a kind.
    I think kids today need to know how he changed our culture. He didn't only change music.
    ..........................Gayle...........................

"When songs made us start to wiggle our hips.
    It came from a combination of R & B and Soul.
    It was the beginning of a new music.
    They called it "Rock 'n Roll."
    ..................by me

Cadillac King
    Yes, people my age take their crap music for granted. I played some of Elvis's first rocknroll in music class to them, which included 'Thats all right mama', the absolutely haunting 'Heartbreak hotel', and the rocker 'Hound dog', but they looked at me as if i was a total weirdo. When i said that Elvis started the rocknroll scene, and that he influenced their music today, they laughed and said 'bull sh*t', and that was really ignorant. If they'd have listened closer, they would've heard that Elvis's music was directly linked to their crap today.
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Very interesting topic

My girlfriend an I?ll visit an Elvis "Event" in July in Germany.

She doesn?t know much about Elvis. And as little Introduction I gave her TTWII on DVD. I hope she?ll like it

I wondered if she?ll like "Elvis by the Presleys" but.. that?s too long to look for her I think

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisdownunder
    Yes, people my age take their crap music for granted. I played some of Elvis's first rocknroll in music class to them, which included 'Thats all right mama', the absolutely haunting 'Heartbreak hotel', and the rocker 'Hound dog', but they looked at me as if i was a total weirdo. When i said that Elvis started the rocknroll scene, and that he influenced their music today, they laughed and said 'bull sh*t', and that was really ignorant. If they'd have listened closer, they would've heard that Elvis's music was directly linked to their crap today.

It's sad indeed how ignorant and flatminded most kids (not all) nowaday are. They even don't want to hear the truth and I think it's because they are too scared to face reality. So they hide behind their "trash". It's difficult to tell someone about Elvis, because they only know the sad facts and not the other good things Elvis has done. They don't even want to know them! Whenever someone starts about Elvis I tell the funny stories and the great things he did. Mostly I get the response: That''s interesting. I didn't know that and I get their attention. I also let them see Elvis as a human being with caracter (Make them understand why Elvis did what he did, when they bring up the sad stuff. So they understand Elvis better) and talk about his great performances.

Christel (TCE)

Cadillac King
    I try to explain about that too, but they just wanna keep believing what to them is true

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Quote Originally Posted by elvisdownunder
    When i said that Elvis started the rocknroll scene, and that he influenced their music today, they laughed and said 'bull sh*t', and that was really ignorant.
    I have to admit, I was once one of those kids. I used to get offended when someone called him the "King of Rock and Roll," because I didn't consider that kind of music to be rock and roll -- not by 1990s standards anyway. Which is stupid because Elvis didn't live in the 1990s. But that was the logic of a kid for you!

But for some reason, after my dad forced me to watch "This is Elvis," I had a newfound respect for him, and I started seeing connections between him and modern music and pop culture. However, I wouldn't recommend showing "This is Elvis" to your friends -- the cheesy reenactments and the even cheesier narration by an actor playing Elvis make it a little cringe-inducing.

It seems like most kids have a lack of respect for anything old (even the teenagers of the 1950s, who first listened to and loved Elvis, were rebelling against their parent's generation). However, it seems that some old music is more acceptable than others. When I was in High School, bands like the Doors and the Beatles were acceptable, but Elvis wasn't. Never mind that Jim Morrison was an Elvis fan and that John Lennon was quoted with saying, "Before Elvis there was nothing."

Coming On Strong
    My sister asked me 'who is that man' when i saw TTWII..
    I have a new song had a new song don't have a new song the song is comming out by me

Try introducing unsophisticated youngsters to Ludwig Van Beethoven's astounding music:-)

Elvis's voice is the key. But youngsters have to hear Elvis at his very best. If they still are not impressed, they never will be.

A curious mind will discover Elvis anyway. He is all over the news again because of the Bush and Koizumi visit to Graceland.

Elvis is on our TV screens here in Ireland because of the free Elvis CD in a newspaper. The youngster who miss out on Elvis must be like ostriches....with their heads in the sand!!!

Cadillac King
    I had to do an assignment for my music class, so i did Elvis's version of 'Bridge over troubled water', which sounded so friggin brilliant, because i was playing it through the computer sound system, and i got chills up my spine like never before. Anywayz, i asked a girl in my class who knows another guy's version how Elvis's version was. She said 'It made me wanna cry, in a good way', and that is one of Elvis's very best songs. If Elvis had that kind of effect on her, thats really something.