Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Drew You To Elvis?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

What Drew You To Elvis?

Having been a fan since 1977 (29 Years wow) I still find Elvis as Intrieging, fascinating and inspirational as I did all those years ago! So what is it that still keeps me interested? for me the Image has always been a major factor. Who else could get away with being so flamboyant? Many have tried & failed others just simply dont have that 'X' Factor or the ability to change with the times and make themselves larger than life.

I am a huge collector of photographs, I still get a massive buzz when I see a great quality photo's that I haven't seen before. It goes without saying that the music goes hand in hand with the Image, there are less surprises with the music simply because I have probably heard the majority of the classics, thats not to say that over the last five years there have been some fantastic release's.. previously unreleased material that has simply amased me.

The 69-77 years are an addiction to me, the more Images I collect the more I want, and trust me I have spent some silly money in obtaing some of the Images

So..... what is it that draws you to the legend?

Matt

His voice and his style.

I have been a fan in ago 1 years now, and i'm so happy to be here and talk about Elvis.

In the beginning i had just heard few Elvis songs, you know the classics.
    And my father was a big fan and had some cd's. But at this time, i haden't discovered Elvis yet.

So before the christmas holiday 2 years ago, we saw the movie "This Is Elvis" at the school. After i saw it i become more interested..

I downloaded new songs and discovered more and more.. and then i saw Aloha From Hawaii and 68 Spescial. It was so amazing to see Elvis on stage!

After some months, my father got a dvd copy with all the original albums, and he gave it to me.. I remember it was so exciting! You know, it was around 60 albums.
    I began to love his music..

In the summer holiday i think, my father played "Madision Square Garden" to me in the car. It was so fantastic to hear! I think it was so rare to hear That's all right as the opening act... And polk salad annie and Teddy Bear/Don't Be cruel.. you know...

At that time, i had borrowed the "Live In Las Vegas" 4 disc set from my father!
    When we was at holiday in Iceland, we played it every time we droved in the car (many hours every day) I loved disc one, espescially when Elvis sang "Jailhouse Rock-Don't Be Cruel and What'd i say.
    After playing that disc a hundred of times, i listened to the others, and it was so much good stuff! I remember i played promised land again and again, and also the live versions of the 50's.

Every night, i listened to the same songs: A big hunk of lve, Sweet caroline, Long Tall Sally, Let It Be me, You gave me a mountain etc..
    And before i was going to sleep, i always listened to "An American Trilogy"
    In the begining i thought some of the songs was tired, but that was until i heard "Don't" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "Just Pretend" And "Green Green Grass Of Home"

At the moody blue cd i listened to "If You Love Me Let Me Know" and the funny song "Little Darlin'"..
    I loved the melody in "Let Me Be There" and the touching voice during "Unchained Melody"

"If I Were You" and "When I'm Over You" from Love Letters was just beautiful!
    I just loved it! Elvis had become my king forever!

Just before the last christmas, i discovered the FTD-series. Now i love them! I have just five, but i always try to buy some new.

The first amateur footage i ever saw was from Pittsburgh. Then i become more interested in footage from concerts..

I saw my first Elvis movie "King Creole" many months ago and i just loved it! Elvis was the young guy who got a contract with King creole and he sang many good songs..

I wanted to see more movies! I saw Viva Las vegas (Remember i was so sad when Elvis lost his money in the swim pool" and Speedway (Not so good, but "Let Yourself Go" was very cool)
    Then i saw Flamingstar, Wild In The Country and Love Me Tender..

I listened to movie songs like "I Got Lucky" "The Love Machine" "C'mon everybody" "What'd I Say" "Double Trouble" "Baby If You'll give me all your love" "Dixieland Rock" etc.. and i liked them (Not all of them right now )

I have learned some much during my time as an Elvis fan. I knew about all of the songs and the recording sessions, the albums and the singles and i also collect a little bit. Without a song, the day will never end, without a song, a man ain't got a friend.

Elvis is just a fantastic man..
    Last edited by FlamingStar; 06-04-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

Coming On Strong
    Interesting storys. here's mine.

I didn't know who Elvis really was before i saw the hawaii concert on TV. Later i became interested in Elvis and found a CD called Elvis Norwegian Favourites. I think i was 11 years or something. It was just few Elvis songs i liked In The Ghetto and One Night was two of them. I didn't knew that much about Elvis at this time. I thought he died right after the Hawaii concert and didn't know that he became big and ill so i was shocked when i saw the movie This Is Elvis.

I haden't heard anything yet just the signature songs of course so i discovered 100 Elvis songs every day in the begining. decided to buy a DVD. The first one i bought was also the best. That's The Way It is. then i became a real Elvis fan.

FlamingStar showed me a lot new songs i never heard before so he is one of the reasons i started to like Elvis. The first FTD i bought was Summer Festival so i have just started to buy them. Became a real Elvis fan about 1 year ago but i found the forum this year.
    Last edited by sH; 08-10-2006 at 06:10 AM.
    I have a new song had a new song don't have a new song the song is comming out by me

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie
    Having been a fan since 1977 (29 Years wow) I still find Elvis as Intrieging, fascinating and inspirational as I did all those years ago! So what is it that still keeps me interested? for me the Image has always been a major factor. Who else could get away with being so flamboyant? Many have tried & failed others just simply dont have that 'X' Factor or the ability to change with the times and make themselves larger than life.

I am a huge collector of photographs, I still get a massive buzz when I see a great quality photo's that I haven't seen before. It goes without saying that the music goes hand in hand with the Image, there are less surprises with the music simply because I have probably heard the majority of the classics, thats not to say that over the last five years there have been some fantastic release's.. previously unreleased material that has simply amased me.

The 69-77 years are an addiction to me, the more Images I collect the more I want, and trust me I have spent some silly money in obtaing some of the Images

So..... what is it that draws you to the legend?

Matt

To be honest the thing that probably started it was that Hound Dog was such a goofy song. I was ten when Elvis died, my folks liked but weren't obsessive about him like me. They had Albums , I'd raid their albums and listen to everyone Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Mama's and Papa's , the Byrds. They also had 4 or 5 Elvis Albums and probably around 5 or 6 years old I heard Hound Dog for the first time and it was just so goofy that for a little kid it was cool. Then I discovered Jailhouse Rock and that one seemed tough, and then I saw the Movie Jailhouse rock on the old WGN channel 9 and it just really took off from there. When he died a few years later I was ten, earning an allowence by then and they reissued a lot of the albums then and I bought all of them I could , the tribute Magazines it just got bigger over time. I've gotten pretty out of hand at times myself with stupid spending on this but I don't really regret it. So yeah I think Hound Dog kicked it off when I was little.

Oh, that was a great story Hound dog was a very important song
    Last edited by FlamingStar; 06-04-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

TCB Mafia

Red face

great stories all

what got me hooked on Elvis was his music

it's funny, before i became a fan i didn't like Elvis. and i only knew 2 songs, Hound Dog and Love Me Tender. i have a friend who is Elvis fan, about 2 years ago i gave him an Elvis cd for his birthday. he listened to it while i was there. i wasn't happy about it, since i didn't like Elvis and all. but what the heck, it was my best friends birthday, how could i deny him to listen to a new cd he just got? of course i would do that too if it was me
    so yea he listened to it, and i loved it. i was surprised that Elvis was that good. i was blown away. mesmerised. lol
    i wanted to listen to it again and again, and my friend thought i was joking cause he knew i didn't like Elvis. at first he didn't believe i liked the cd, but he soon understood that i meant it. it was the 2nd to none cd btw
    and thats what did it really. i loved Elvis right away, and have been hooked ever since. i even became a bigger fan than my friend

so even though the 2nd to none cd is just another compilation, it will always be special to me. the best compilation for that reason alone

For me it was simply his voice.

The first time I remember hearing Elvis was on Christmas Eve when I was 6 years old. I heard "Blue Christmas", and my first thought was how good this guy sounded and how different he sounded from what I'd heard before.

Then as I grew older and have found out more and more about him, I only liked him more. But put everything aside, and for me, it will always be about the voice.
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

When I was a kid, I wasn't sure what to make of Elvis. I often say I hated Elvis before I became a fan, but that's not true -- I just couldn't see beyond the layers of cultural myth that smothered him. Though I wasn't impressed by most of his hits, as a kid, "Can't Help Falling in Love" was my favorite song, and I did like "Devil in Disguise" (which I thought was called "Devil in the Skies" ) But other than that, I just didn't know whether I was supposed to love him or hate him.

It wasn't until I watched This is Elvis, when I was eleven, that I became a fan. What really did it for me was the fact that the movie humanized Elvis. I had been so put off by "Elvis the Legend" and "Elvis the Joke" that seeing those actors reenact Elvis' childhood and youth (as cheesy as it might have been) opened my eyes to the fact that Elvis was human. Now that I saw him as a real person, I was able to give his music a chance -- and I found that I really liked it!

His incredible voice and the way he respected his fans and people around him...He always used "sir" or "Mr." when addressing someone...that's not something you see too often by someone as big as Elvis...Plus, the more I found out about his life story the more I liked and appreciated him...

He music and voice are amazing! He was original!

franny

Cadillac King
    For me it was a combination of things. His voice stroke me as lightning when I first heard it, then I saw his beautiful eyes that made me melt and finally the first time I heard about Elvis (The stories about his great caracter, generousity, lonelyness etc.) it felt as if I'd known him for ever. Kinda like a soul mate. I know this may sound silly, but it's true. I can feel his emotions when I look at his movies and concerts and I whished that I'd been lucky to meet him in person.

Christel (TCE)

I have been a fan since 1974. So it has been most of my life (was born 63 ). Apart from his singing and great music it is impossible for me to know why so many years after, Elvis is still a major part of my life.

What drew me to Elvis..... this is quite hard but I shall try...

Well, his voice and music really got me started. It was Heartbreak Hotel I think that I first heard, and Love Me. And the first time I ever saw him move... You Don't Have To Say You Love Me from TTWII (that's probably why that 69-70 are my favourite years swoon )... I was captivated. He truly had such a power and charisma onstage and his voice was just pure magic

But I also remember that when his songs were re-released here they wouldn't show any videos of Elvis and so an impersonator was there... I felt really sorry for Elvis and wanted to know more about him. And then when I first announced that I liked Elvis I was told that he was a great singer who got fat and had a very sad last few years. I found that really sad and needed to know about his life and who he was. Then I discovered what a great man he was... so kind, generous, funny and warm, and couldn't help but fall completely in love... and he was so human that I think everyone can relate to him in some way and he has my total respect...

I don't know why I'm drawn to him actually... his life completely fascinates me and takes me through a whirlwind of emotions and I love the man so much, his looks are just and the music just keeps getting better... he was just so great and it seems like there was never a time when I wasn't a fan...

So it was the music and the man... how one couldn't fall head over heels in love with him is beyond me. But I'm still confused, but definitely happy, by this hold he has on me lol
    Amzie
    "Few will have the greatness to bend history"
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../69pccopy3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JLGB
    Apart from his singing and great music it is impossible for me to know why so many years after, Elvis is still a major part of my life.
    Yes,I feel the same way too!I can't explain why am I still fascinated by Elvis exactly like I was in the begining,I just know I will always be...
    I've read somewhere that once you become an Elvis fan it's for all your lifetime-I belive in that very much.
    Elvis fans are the most dedicated fans in the world...
    And from what i've noticed most of us became his fans at a very,very young age.Maybe it's just me, but I think there's something magical about that...

Last edited by SANDRA; 06-12-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Coming On Strong
    Nice to read these stories.

I can?t recall when I heard of Elvis for the first time... Somehow he has always been a part of my life. I remember staring at a certain picture of him (taken in October 56), I must have been about 5-6 years old, and I was obviously only a very young little girl - but I loved his smile and eyes! I started to listen more to his records when I was about 9 years old (1975). And from the beginning I became fascinated by both the artist and the man Elvis... The voice, the charisma, his personality - everything really. I was only 11 years old when he passed away, and I never got the chance to see him perform live, or meet him in real life. Still, he has always felt so close to me. He was not only a super and remarkable artist - he was one of a kind as a man and human being. I love him forever.

International Level
    What drew me to Elvis was number one I was almost 2 years old when I first heard Elvis. It was that "BEAUTIFUL" angel voice of his. He had a voice of angel in my eyes well ears. LOL

I was very sick with chicken pocks I had it every where in the ears, in my mouth, on my face and body. They(Grandma and Mother) to get me stop cryin' and relaxing they tried every type of music. So my mother goes to movie store and rents only musical video they had "Aloha From Hawaii" well they knew if I heard that loud into I would probley cry even more. So they fast forward...It was very wired that they stopped right on "My Way" they said I stopped crying..By then I was walking so by the end of movie I was asking my grandmother pin my bath tow on me as a cape.

I've always loved Elvis and his music. When I grew older and learned more about Elvis and how he died with almost nothing left in bank and how he donated his money left and right. Made me love him more than ever because he never forgot where he came from and who got him there the fan's.

Threw high school I kinda had keep low on how big fan of Elvis I was but if my close friends came over they saw my room and nothing but Elvis but they thought it was cool. So, I was class of 2002.

I was in College for Computer Tech. (LOL..which I forgot everything I was taught. LOL) A friend of mine DJ took me to Karaoke. He heard me sing with Elvis and he said I sounded good. (To me I didn't but it depends on person you ask.) Well what I didn't know he put my name in order. Will I'm 165 pounds my friend is 350 pounds so needless to say when they called my name I could tell him NO. And that started me life as a Tribute Artist....

I mean from stories his friends and family have told me. I love this man like he was my own family. And I found the Elvis fans are sweetest, kindest people in the world.

I better stop writting this novel. But I was so glad someone finally asked this question.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

His voice.
    His generosity.
    His humour.
    His style.
    His whole personality.
    And his 'Difference' to everybody else.
    Well everything i feel for Elvis and everything that draws him to me, it's too hard to explain, he has a magical Orah about him and i duno what it is but it's something that makes me feel good, makes me love him. It's strange.
    Great question. Thanks.

I was NOT an Elvis fan. No reason except I was too busy.
    When I saw him in concert, in person {the one & only time} I saw or should I say felt what others have before me.
    I have no words for IT or why it keeps going on & on.....

It came from the stage, as he sang. As someone else said......"he just makes you feel good ." What a compliment & IMO, that's what keeps people coming back for more .

Elvis baby
    I have to say that I was never a big fan of Elvis... I had seen several of his films including: "Frankie and Johnny" and "Kissin' Cousins." I had seen most of his biographies, and I know I had always felt some what in touch with him. I always told anyone that asked me if I like Elvis I said "No, of course not." But somehow I knew otherwise. The first time I heard him? Who knows? I was probably around five years old or so... He always intriqued me and I thought he was very handsome. A friend of mine was "head over heels" for him, but I just didn't see what was so great about him. One night I saw "Harum Scarum" it was actually my father's idea. Since my friend was always talking about him. Anyway, when I saw Elvis something struck me, I don't really know what it was, but he simply mesmerized me with his looks. Since then I have been a fan...
    Last edited by Elvis baby; 03-25-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRA View Post
    I've read somewhere that once you become an Elvis fan it's for all your lifetime-I belive in that very much.
    Elvis fans are the most dedicated fans in the world...
    And from what i've noticed most of us became his fans at a very,very young age.Maybe it's just me, but I think there's something magical about that...
    Absolutely true.

It was 1977, the year that he died. I was 10 years old at the time. I saw a few of his movies but when he died the radio stations played his songs all the time, on tv you could see Aloha From Hawaii, the Comeback Special and they showed his movies on every channel so I totally got addicted and wanted to have everything that was Elvis-related. In December of that year I got my first 3 Elvis LPs for Christmas: The Christmas Album, Moody Blue and an album called Les 40 Grands Succ?s. I mostly liked the rock songs but Heartbreak Hotel was THE SONG. Then March came around, it was my birthday and my folks got me this absolutely wonderful 7 LPs box set that had 7 posters in it. This box set holds a special place in my heart since a week after getting it my dad passed away.
    During a few years I bought every magazine that talked about Elvis, I used to hang all the pictures I had of him on my walls, bought many LPs.

re

I think the fact for me is that there always is new stuff of Elvis...like great 8mm footage,or new stories,photos etc.It just keeps you interesting
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast