View Poll Results: Jailhouse Rock or King Creole?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jailhouse Rock

39 38.61%
  • King Creole

62 61.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jailhouse Rock or King Creole?

Jailhouse Rock or King Creole?

Hi everybody!

"Jailhouse Rock" and "King Creole" are considered the best films in Elvis career as an actor; nobody can deny these are very good movies.

Anyway, they're very different from story and type of character Elvis played in them...I just wonder...which do you prefer?

Considering every aspect of these films (story, cast, soundtrack)...if you had to recommend just one of them to a "not fan" which would you choose?Why?

I've voted for Jailhouse Rock!
    Last edited by ForeverTheKing; 04-28-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I would say Jailhouse Rock over King Creole, but I love them both so it don't matter .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

This is very very tricky as I LOVE both of them so much in different ways.

I think that Jalihouse Rock is a more enjoyable film and Elvis is scrumptious in it and I love Judy Tyler... it has some classic and brilliant moments such as "the beast in me" and, of course, the Jailhouse rock scene... and You're So Square.

King Creole has some terrific acting, a good juicy storyline and the most amazing songs. New Orleans... ooh and when he got up on that stage and started "If you're looking for Trouble". Absolutely fantastic songs, and I think quite possibly the best acting performance from Elvis.

If I were to recommend a film I think it might be Jailhouse Rock... purely because the fact that it is so enjoyable and Elvis is supremely wonderfully different and delightful in it... hehe, just remembered the "flippy... real flippy" line! However, King Creole has performances and acting which are hard to surpass and it is said to be Elvis' favourite film or his.... so I might go for that....

OK. I don't know. It's hard to judge. Which do I watch the more often? Jailhouse Rock. Which song performances do I watch the more often? King Creole. Both of them made me cry. King Creole proves Elvis was a great actor and a fabulous being, entertainer and singer... Jailhouse Rock proves he was blooming spectacular, a yummy dancer and singer and a great actor.

Ummmm... off the top of my head... at this present second, I might be persuaded to vote for Jailhouse Rock. But then my mind will change! Hmmmmn... I'm so very sorry ForeverTheKing, but I have no idea! My mind keeps switching back and forth
    Amzie
    "Few will have the greatness to bend history"
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../69pccopy3.jpg

Coming On Strong
    I think the King Creole soundtracks are better. agree? i haven't seen the movies yet.. are both without colors?

both are great

Kind of hard to pick just one!

I kind of prefer 'King Creole' though; I like the remarks about being the king of Yugoslavia! Anyway you look at it, both movies are w?nderful!

There are a lot of different songs (such versatility!) - from the rough to the romantic!

On top of that both story lines are very realistic and deal with human issues. All these things add up to each other.

Archetypes in 'King Creole" are also very interesting. Ronnie (played by Carolyn Jones) is a bit like Miljuschka Witzenhausen (now a VJ on Dutch Music Channel TMF, used to be my classmate)..

Maxie Fields (Walther Matthau) is just like my father..

Anyway, 'King Creole' and 'Jailhouse Rock' are both legendary..
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sH91
    I think the King Creole soundtracks are better. agree? i haven't seen the movies yet.. are both without colors?
    I perfer the Jailhouse Rock soundtrack, but the "King Creole" soundtrack is great to.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Roustabouts
    I would choose King Creole for storyline which gave Elvis a three dimensional charecter to portray which showed the potential he had to be one of the great actors of his time but instead he was given mostly silly musicals by the 1960s...

Elvis never appeared cooler in a film than in Jailhouse Rock , the best he ever looked in the 1950s with his great set of hair being teased in a similiar manner to his hairstyle just when he was out of the army only minus the sideburns....the way he would talk in a breathy soft spoken voice with all this pent up anger in his charecter. Elvis really delivered such a good performance in Jailhouse Rock that you really believe he is that snarly sexy charecter . Just gonesville

As they say in horse racing ....

King Creole by a nose.

Why I don't really know but I prefer it , maybe its the on location filming or the supporting cast and Elvis really seemed into the role.

Nothing wrong with Jailhouse Rock though

I prefer King Creole...
    Elvis had more of a storyline in this movie and it kept me interested...
    The soundtrack sounds nicer as well!

franny

A Close Call

I think "Jailhouse Rock" tends to take on the role of 'joe public' and the majority of the critics favourite Elvis movie, especially with the colossal title track and dance sequence.

But, I think from a Fan's point of view "King Creole" represents a developing young actor who was appearing with a solid cast in a dramatic storyline laced with diverse musical productions. Total Entertainment.

"KC" for me!

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Quote Originally Posted by NEA
    But, I think from a Fan's point of view "King Creole" represents a developing young actor who was appearing with a solid cast in a dramatic storyline laced with diverse musical productions. Total Entertainment.

"KC" for me!

NEA.
    I agree, NEA...I can see why this was Elvis' favourite movie...
    It was such a great movie!

franny

I like Jailhouse Rock better because it's more fun!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Love the music and story of Jailhouse Rock, but always hated Elvis' role. I mean, the guy he's playing was a plain jerk. I cannot imagine people relate to this person. The beating he received from his former cellmate was also well deserved.

King Creole: great movie, great music..... but come on: having a girl like Dolores Hart and then want to exchange her for the weirdlooking girlfriend from that mobguy? And Elvis playing a guy that's still on school? A shame, because the movie had real potential.

But what's great in both movies (and what Elvis also liked) is that the singing had actual meaning and purpose. In much of the other movies Elvis started singing in a restaurant, in a car, in a cell, in a ..... with nothing more (or even less) than a little guitar (while we hear much more instruments). He hated it, because it made him look foolish and not a serious actor. Thank God Elvis had the oportunity to play in at least a couple of great, serious movies.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Love the music and story of Jailhouse Rock, but always hated Elvis' role. I mean, the guy he's playing was a plain jerk. I cannot imagine people relate to this person. The beating he received from his former cellmate was also well deserved.

King Creole: great movie, great music..... but come on: having a girl like Dolores Hart and then want to exchange her for the weirdlooking girlfriend from that mobguy? And Elvis playing a guy that's still on school? A shame, because the movie had real potential.

But what's great in both movies (and what Elvis also liked) is that the singing had actual meaning and purpose. In much of the other movies Elvis started singing in a restaurant, in a car, in a cell, in a ..... with nothing more (or even less) than a little guitar (while we hear much more instruments). He hated it, because it made him look foolish and not a serious actor. Thank God Elvis had the oportunity to play in at least a couple of great, serious movies.
    This is what I didn't like about Jailhouse Rock...Elvis' role...Yes, the music and his choreography to that great Jailhouse Rock scene was amazing...

lol...I was wondering what that was about with Elvis liking Dolores Hart and saying she was his girl, but then he kept getting tangled with that "weird one" but it does happen...lol...and yes, he was singing for a reason..I really liked when he sang Trouble...He looked like he meant business...I know he must have been so tired of singing in those other movies, just out of the blue...He's great to listen too, but it was at times silly, I'm sure he realized...

franny

It's really funny and interesting to read all your points of view...so different and this is what I expected from this question.
    This is the proof how hard is for us to choose one of these films...

As I told at the beginning I voted for Jailhouse Rock, but just because it's one of the first film I saw; I love everything in that movie...storyline, cast and Elvis performances (Jailhouse Rock, Baby I Don't Care and Treat Me Nice)...I like even his role...so far from the real "Elvis" but he was perfect to portrait his arrogance and insolence.. I always find it very funny!! I think he showed his big talent in acting also with that particular role.

Of course, I love also King Creole, that to me it's a more mature film...a more serious role for Elvis and the result is excellent...and we have to recognize he had very good co-stars and a very great director...Michael Curtiz.
    Another aspect I like is the soundtrack...superb!!!
    To me this is one of his best "movie soundtrack" (with "Viva Las Vegas")....a lot of beautiful songs...I listen it very often!!

for superb acting/brilliant script = King Creole
    for good acting/better soundtrack = Jailhouse Rock
    [email protected]
    feel free to add me

i like both of them.Probably Jailhouse Rock more fun,but i would choose King creol.

It takes a lot of energy to hate.

I guess it's all part of the job. Playing a certain role doesn't implicate that he was like that in real life. It may be true that Elvis felt uncomfortable with certain roles or actions on screen! He was a generous person so he just did what was necessary for the movie. I guess that some people did try to take advantage of Elvis during his life/career. It's up to all of us to realize that Elvis was an angelic being in real life.

Anyway you look at it: Anthony Hopkins may not at all be like Hannibal Lecter in real life and the same goes for other people's (cinematographic) roles such as Dracula and Hitler. And these are major bad guys, while Elvis simply plays a delinquent youth..

King Creole: great movie, great music..... but come on: having a girl like Dolores Hart and then want to exchange her for the weirdlooking girlfriend from that mobguy? And Elvis playing a guy that's still on school? A shame
    As far as romance is concerned it's a strange world - because of his youthful looks I think that he was perfectly fit for a schoolkids' role at that age. I could never be ashamed of Elvis..!
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 04-29-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I like them both, but I'd have to say "Jailhouse Rock" just because I have a cool memory from childhood of my Mom waking me up to watch this with her when I was little.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

This is a difficult choice, because I love both films. I really enjoy his acting in "King Creole" and felt he was really starting to find his element there. But, there is a ton of great music scenes and fun memories of "Jailhouse Rock" that it's a toss up for me!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast