35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elvis As Recorded at Madison Square Garden

11 31.43%
  • An Afternoon In Garden

24 68.57%

Thread: MSG CDs

Coming On Strong

Madison Square Garden CDs

There are two recordings available from Madison Square Garden in New York 1972. An Afternoon In Garden and Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden both of them are from the same date.

Not that much diffrent in the song lists except of some few songs. An Afternoon In Garden
    has a few more songs but not Impossible Dream where you get on Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. But which concert is your favourite?

I have An Afternoon In Garden. very good sound and the cover looks great too. One of the few concerts CDs you get the concert feeling you can really hear the audience.

why did RCA recorded both of the concerts?
    Last edited by sH; 08-10-2006 at 09:59 AM.
    I have a new song had a new song don't have a new song the song is comming out by me

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    My opinion Afternnon In The Garden is the best between the two. Why did RCA recorded both shows, I don't know. Maybe since there wasn't a soundtrack to the movie Elvis On Tour they decided to record both shows and figure out which was the best so they release the evening show.

A Good Afternoon!

"Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" was the award-winning seller when it was first released, but ever since "An Afternoon in The Garden" surfaced in 1997 this show totally wins it for me.

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I would say Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. This one is my favorite.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by sH91
    There are two CD's from Madison Square Garden. An Afternoon In Garden and Elvis As Recorded at Madison Square Garden. But who is best? ...................But why did RCA recorded both of the concerts?
    Hi, while filming the documentary we now know as 'Elvis On Tour', the plan was to also bring out an LP to accompany the movie (originally to be titled 'Standing Room Only' - it even had a catalogue number already assigned).

However, when the four New York shows in 'The Garden' became sell outs (80,000 tickets sold), not to mention large media events, RCA changed it's plans for its next scheduled album and decided instead to record at MSG and release the recordings within days after the shows.

I suppose it's fair to assume two of the four shows were recorded to ensure they had sufficient material for their new scheduled release.

As for which disc is best, well I guess that's all down to personal preferences, there's elements of both discs which I enjoy, so I would find it hard to recommend one over the other.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinout-designs
    Hi, while filming the documentary we now know as 'Elvis On Tour', the plan was to also bring out an LP to accompany the movie (originally to be titled 'Standing Room Only' - it even had a catalogue number already assigned).

However, when the four New York shows in 'The Garden' became sell outs (80,000 tickets sold), not to mention large media events, RCA changed it's plans for its next scheduled album and decided instead to record at MSG and release the recordings within days after the shows.

I suppose it's fair to assume two of the four shows were recorded to ensure they had sufficient material for their new scheduled release.

As for which disc is best, well I guess that's all down to personal preferences, there's elements of both discs which I enjoy, so I would find it hard to recommend one over the other.

Yea, and if you don't believe what this man says, take a look at the single cover for American Trilogy

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I prefer the sound of 'Afternoon In The Garden' over that other one. But I haven't really put the content next to eachother to decide what's the better show.

Interesting, I will check it tonight and vote afterwards
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I havent played the original MSG cd since Afternoon was released.In my opinion the Afternoon show far surpasses the original release.Elvis live in 72 was awesome and the Afternoon cd really captures an outstanding performance.To not have this cd in your collection is a crime!!
    Jak

Overall i enjoy An afternoon in the garden an tiny bit more, mainly because i like the sound better. But As recorded in MSG has a splendid version of "The impossible dream", This song was not sung on the afternoon show.. Sadly.

I think the evening and original release is best as a complete show. Elvis' voice in the afternoon recording cracked at least a couple of times but do not remember on which songs. The afternoon imo did have Reconsider Baby and a better and great version of American trilogy.... RCA could have released a better live album editing from both shows but I am glad one complete show was able to be released and become a smash hit in 1972! And of course it is great that the other show was finally released as well. I cannot wait for the original to get a sound upgrade so it can at least equal the sound of the afternoon performance.
    Last edited by Juan Luis; 05-11-2006 at 12:40 AM.

The afternoon show appears to have more energy than the evening show, but maybe this is due to the today's technology being able to bring this energy out on disc. A great song, not on the evening show, is Blue Suede Shoes with lots of energy.

I vote for the afternoon show.

Too bad they didn't record all four shows...dah.
    A professional camera crew wouldn't have hurt either...

I'm not a big fan of mixing concert songs from different shows into one album (popular in 1970). I like a concert from start to finish.

I'm not a big fan of mixing concert songs from different shows into one album (popular in 1970). I like a concert from start to finish.
    I see your point, but probably %99 of the live albums that have been released are performances edited together from more than one show. Elvis amazingly had several albums comprised of one performance, like Aloha, MSG, Memphis, etc. But even those performances were edited for record release.

In Elvis' case I too would rather have the entire show there for historical purposes, but editing generally makes for a better album.

Me, I cast my vote for the evening show. The original release.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

I'm voting for An Afternoon In The Garden

Quote Originally Posted by emsteph
    Too bad they didn't record all four shows...dah.
    A professional camera crew wouldn't have hurt either...
    Totaly agree with this, sure would purchase them all

I've got both albums, I think Elvis is in great shape during those concerts. I'm voting for the Afternoon album, for me soundquality is very important when I listen to music and I think that the afternoon album just has a better sound (although it is problably improved afterwards and not entirely original).
    I know I'm missing a lot of great Elvis concerts this way and I'm aware of great complete original concerts that are out there on mostly bootleg albums. But although it is possible that Elvis is in great shape at such albums, just for the poor soundquality of audiencerecordings or non-professional recordings that often appear on those albums I won't purchage them.

Both are fine shows.

But I went for "Afternoon In The Garden".

Has great sound and some diff'rent concert tracks, though they were released seperate earlier on LP.

Cool show!

Sonny

Cadillac King
    I don't care for the mix of Afternoon in the Garden (Elvis Is way too upfront). It's got a flat sound like the San Antonio concert on Close Up. It's a matinee performance so he's half asleep (or something).
    There's even more rushed oldies. He throws away Reconsider Baby after Burton's solo. And most importantly for me: There's no "Impossible Dream". I haven't listened to the afternoon show in years and don't plan too.

The evening show is badly in need of remixing/sound upgrade, but I prefer it
    over the afternoon show hands down.

I like them both but have more of a sentimental attachment to
    "Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" because it was first, it
    predated the internet and the other choices I have to enjoy Elvis Music now. Back then I had only albums and my old 33 was like a look into a show I wasn't supposed to get to see/hear. Or thats how I felt at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryNodak
    I don't care for the mix of Afternoon in the Garden (Elvis Is way too upfront). It's got a flat sound like the San Antonio concert on Close Up. It's a matinee performance so he's half asleep (or something).
    There's even more rushed oldies. He throws away Reconsider Baby after Burton's solo. And most importantly for me: There's no "Impossible Dream". I haven't listened to the afternoon show in years and don't plan too.

The evening show is badly in need of remixing/sound upgrade, but I prefer it
    over the afternoon show hands down.

You think that the afternoon cd has a flat sound?
    Than you must listen to the original album, that one has a real flat sound, and yes it needs a upgrade soundwise...but i think they did a great job on the afternoon cd, it has that great concert feeling...and that is missing on the most elvis concert cd's, the only cd that has that real concert feeling is the memphis '74 show..
    But to answer the question wich of the 2 cd's you like most, i like the afternoon cd the best, great songs, great cover and great sound!

I haven't heard afternoon in the garden yet, but i have heard "As Recorded Live At Madision Square Garden"...

This was the first hole Elvis concert i ever heard i think.. We have played it in the car hundred of times

I remember my father told me that he was going to show me some cool stuff..

He putted in the cd and the intro began... I remember it was so cool to hear "That's All Right" as the opening act (I had never heard it before)

I also liked Proud Mary and Polk Salad Annie and i couldn't stand back..

When i heard Teddy Bear/Don't Be cruel i think it was just a amazing medley!

So this cd was my first connection with a complete Elvis concert i think..
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

I love my An Afternoon In The Garden tape. Enjoy it a lot.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy