Thread: Elvis Presley and the Golden Years.

Elvis Presley and the Golden Years.

Because of the impact of Elvis's first four movies, 1956 -1958 were perhaps the three most important years in the history of Rock 'n' Roll. The sheer excitement of the time was never again equalled. Never!

Even the arrival of the Beatles some years later could not recapture the Golden Age of Rock 'n' Roll when the world was lit up by Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, Chuck Berry, Rick Nelson, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Fats Domino,The Platters, Eddie Cochran, Jerry Lee Lewis, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, and all the rest of the musicians and singers who were involved in those early years of Rock 'n' Roll.

Sadly, with a few notable exceptions, Elvis's later movies did not live up to expectations. Nevertheless they did (and still do) bring him to the attention of later generations. No wonder Elvis is on the cover of popular music magazines recently.

Nice to see Elvis on the cover of MOJO magazine. Yes I like Kate Bush.

Coming On Strong
    Elvis shouldn't continued with movies after he came back from the army.
    would liked to see him in serious movies.
    Last edited by sH; 07-01-2006 at 01:50 PM.
    I have a new song had a new song don't have a new song the song is comming out by me

I agree that it was unfair to keep Elvis in the films that didn't give him enough scope and weren't what he wanted but I disagree that they are bad.

I know I'm completely biast but...

I know they aren't Oscar worthy but I really enjoy watching them. Some of them (eg. Wild In The Country, Flaming Star, Blue Hawaii...) would hold their own against any film and others.. well, they've got Elvis in and they're light-hearted fun movies. I think that every film has a positive- even if it's only one scene, moment, look or song.

I love watching his films... I get to stare at Elvis for over an hour, listen to his voice and hear him sing!

I think that Elvis should have done more serious films- the roles HE wanted to do and I do find it hard watching some scenes of his films because he looks so embarrassed. The pre-60s movies are flawless in my opinion and so the 60s ones don't quite reach the same level... although that could be disputer. But they do exist, he made them and they're an emblem of an entire decade of his life and so I'm going to enjoy them for his sake... as well as mine!
    Amzie
    "Few will have the greatness to bend history"
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../69pccopy3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sH91
    Elvis shouldn't continued with movies after he came back from the army.
    It would be cool to see him in real movies, because i think his movies was really bad!

I agree...but only with the first part of your post...Elvis had to choose better his movies and I think his career would have been different if only he had followed his aspirations.
    I like most of his movies; some of them because they are really good (Wild In The country, Flaming Star, Viva Las Vegas), others because they make me laugh and cheer me up !

Anyway, I know I watch some of his movies only because of him and not because the film (they seem big "videoclips"for Elvis the singer) and I think this is what Elvis didn't want to..he didn't want people watch him as a sex symbol but as a real actor.
    The real pity is that he HAD talent as an actor but hollywood didn't want to use it.
    I can't deny that some of them are really stupid and have no sense and year after year people got tired with the same films and I can't blame them.

No doubts about the fifties...the 4 films he made were great and he was a very different Elvis...but maybe it depended also on the rock 'n roll magic!
    That period had something special and many people nowadays would like to come back and live in that particular moment....music, cinema, atmosphere....everything was unique!

Yeah, i really think the same as you. I love to see Elvis on film, even i just have seen five movies.
    The reason that Elvis didn't play so many serious movie, was because the unserious movie spend much more money than serious movies. And when it's question about money, Parker always wanted to spend as much as imposibble. I can understand that.

I'm going to buy a film collection when i got money. Can't wait
    Last edited by FlamingStar; 04-06-2006 at 09:39 AM.
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

International Level

Cool

The movies in my opinion did hom more artistic harm than any potential acting talent he displayed in the 50's. For a star of Elvis' calibre to sing Old McDonald, basically is extraordinary. Elvis needed to be allowed to create, not to sing children's songs in B class movies while financing Wallis's other films.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Coming On Strong
    Im agree with you ForeverTheKing.

all the movies would be too bad to be released if Elvis wasn't the main character. of course. and he shoudn't sing all these songs. More serious movies without singing would be great for a such a talent as Elvis.

anyway i like the seventies movies mostly.
    Last edited by sH; 07-01-2006 at 01:46 PM.
    I have a new song had a new song don't have a new song the song is comming out by me

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Love Me Tender is a really great movie. I would suggest it along with Jailhouse Rock, and King Creole. These are all great movies. Not all of Elvis' movies were bad alot of them were good.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sH91
    I think all the movies would be too bad to be released, If Elvis wasn't the main character.. But i like the 70's movies, so don't kill me :
    First Elvis didn't make movies in the 1970's. He did however make two documentaries on his concerts with TTWII and EOT. Also in Love Me Tender Elvis wasn't the main character.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I have just seen Love Me Tender, King Creole, Wild In The Country, Flaming Star and Viva Las Vegas, and i'm very proud of this movies. But i really want some new movies. I think films like "Spinout", "Blue Hawaii", GI. blues, Stay Away Joe and Change of A Habit looks really interesting. Is there anybody here who have all the movies in your collection or who have seen all of them?
    Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.'

That's why he still keep singing a song

what might have been..?

Not tomorrow, but today is also too late for speculation about what might have been - I agree that it is fascinating and interesting to fantasize about his career, but it's a fact that Elvis' life & career went the way it went.. I'm very proud of him, anyway you look at it - that's what really counts..!

It's true that Elvis could have done some more serious roles; some 'mixtures' were interesting in the way that 'Love Me Tender', 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'King Creole' were very musical while not lacking any depth. On the other hand I don't despise feel-good movies such as 'Blue Hawaii', 'Fun In Acapulco' & 'Frankie & Johnny'..

I do miss Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash & Carl Perkins in the list of rock 'n roll legends though..
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by epnorway
    I have just seen Love Me Tender, King Creole, Wild In The Country, Flaming Star and Viva Las Vegas, and i'm very proud of this movies. But i really want some new movies. I think films like "Spinout", "Blue Hawaii", GI. blues, Stay Away Joe and Change of A Habit looks really interesting. Is there anybody here who have all the movies in your collection or who have seen all of them?
    Only 5 films???You have to WORK a lot!!!
    I've seen almost all his films...I have them in old VHS recordered on TV years ago or some DVDs. But some of them weren't translated in my language...I could watch them in the original version...I'm sure I haven't understood every line but I'm happy all the same.

As I've already told I like the most part of them...there are only few films I like less than others (for example "Kissin' Cousins", "Spinout", "Paradise Hawaiian Style")but when I watch Elvis in all his films....well...I like him a lot ....I prefer him singing on stage but no matter...Elvis is Elvis

Backstage Pass
    I disagree that he never made any good movies after the army !!

Okay after Wild In The Country they were not serious, but they were fun and
    should be taken as so.....
    Girl Happy, Stay Away Joe, Live a Little Love A Little, Follow That Dream,
    Kissin Cousins (2 Elvis's as twins is a laugh...), are my favs.....
    Elvis was genuinely funny in those movies....

Infact one of my least favs is Elvis's final attempt at a serious film...Charro...

Trev1, they may be fun now but back in the 60s they were pretty boring for a lot of original Elvis fans. We can watch them NOW with less critical ears.........well most of them.

"Loving You" because of the biographical nature of the movie remains my particular favourite. But I also liked "Follow That Dream". "King Creole" was an example of where Elvis could have gone.

Instead we got "Blue Hawaii" very enjoyable in parts with a few lovely songs, but it was not exactly what we were expecting back then:-(

Nevertheless we all have different perspectives and that's what makes discussing Elvis so interesting.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I have all of them and even though some are almost unbearable (like Clambake for instance) , as far as script and plot, if you look at them as sort of extended music videos they aren't too bad. I like all the 50's movies, of course, and Flaming Star, Stay Away Joe, Live a Little..., Change of Habit, Charro, GI Blues, Blue Hawaii, Viva Las Vegas, Wild in the country, and even Girls, Girls, Girls, Speedway and Trouble with Girls.

It does irritate me that Elvis was not comfortable doing some of these and that he was not given any room to grow as an actor, and that these movies were used as "cash cows" ( pretty much what everyone used him as). But if you look at them as just Musical comedies, entertainment only and don't try to measure them up to dramatic movies of the day, or what he " could have done" most are pretty enjoyable, and as an added bonus ( if you have children) pretty " family friendly", except for a few exceptions.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Quote Originally Posted by Menwithbrokenhearts
    I have all of them and even though some are almost unbearable (like Clambake for instance) , as far as script and plot, if you look at them as sort of extended music videos they aren't too bad. I like all the 50's movies, of course, and Flaming Star, Stay Away Joe, Live a Little..., Change of Habit, Charro, GI Blues, Blue Hawaii, Viva Las Vegas, Wild in the country, and even Girls, Girls, Girls, Speedway and Trouble with Girls.

It does irritate me that Elvis was not comfortable doing some of these and that he was not given any room to grow as an actor, and that these movies were used as "cash cows" ( pretty much what everyone used him as). But if you look at them as just Musical comedies, entertainment only and don't try to measure them up to dramatic movies of the day, or what he " could have done" most are pretty enjoyable, and as an added bonus ( if you have children) pretty " family friendly", except for a few exceptions.
    You're right!!!
    You can prefer him in serious movies or not, but you can't say they are horrible.
    If you like Elvis or just that kind of films you'll sure have fun watching them.

Of course to me it was a pity making too many of those films, also because I think he could give more as an actor....but I like them a lot and it's hard for me to find one I "hate"...of course we are Elvis fans so we like to watch him in any case....but I can understand that non fans can have another opinion and get tired after a while....