Thread: Elvis 1977 - The next challenge?

Elvis 1977 - The next challenge?

Hi,

I'm new here and I really enjoy this forum. As Elvis' birthday approaches, I am just amazed at what he was able to accomplish in his 42 years of life. I can't help but wonder (as no doubt many other do), what would have been next for him.

Elvis pretty much wrote the book on being a rock-star, because he was the first one. His career included so many firsts, and so many major accomplishments. I wonder if by 1977 Elvis had the feeling he had accomplished everything possible.

What do you think the next BIG challenge would have been for Elvis had he lived? I realize he had the showroom opening in Vegas coming up and the CBS special had been taped, but these don't seem to compare with something like "Aloha" or even Madison Square Garden.

The only major thing I can think of that lay unaccomplished was a major world tour. What do you think?
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Coming On Strong charlie rodgers's Avatar
    hi nash
    i think the next big challenge was to get rid of the conel (and the drugs)
    and then get some uptodate modern manegement where the artistic side was what mattered and them working on a triumh world tour and elvis t-c-b ing
    getting in shape and start reheasin again now that he had some thing to look forward to

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Great question...great answer!

Welcome to you both.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Very glad to be here. Thank you.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

For what it's worth, my 2 cents ...... I think like you said he had conquered the singing and live performance market. He had dabbled in the movies in the early years and then the formula movie was born.... he struggled with the scripts and made the best of what he was given. I personally think that he would have loved a Second career in movies, but serious scripts and non singing roles. I think he truly could have excelled in that arena.- Given the proper scripts and choices.
    I could imagine him in many roles since his death.....but also a world tour would have been fabulous. The fact that the colonel was an illegal immagrant stopped Elvis touring worldwide (not that he knew that was the reason ever!). The Colonel always maintained that no foriegn venue could accomodate Elvis..(BullS**t). But Elvis never questioned the Colonel head on anyway! Although I find it hard to believe that if you could manage Elvis and pay taxes on half his eranings and still you couldn't secure a passport too????
    But there you go that is history!
    But I still maintain that the greatest role Elvis played or could ever play, was being ELVIS PRESLEY!!!!!!!! he deserves the OSCAR for that role for sure....
    A King
    A Man Is Never Dead, Until He Is Forgotten.... (h)

Im New In This Forum Too... And I Like It A Lot!!!
    In My Opinion The Next Challenge Might Have Been A World Tour And Of Course , Get Rid Of Drugs....
    and I love you so..people ask me how..how I've lived 'till now

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKing
    For what it's worth, my 2 cents ...... I think like you said he had conquered the singing and live performance market. He had dabbled in the movies in the early years and then the formula movie was born.... he struggled with the scripts and made the best of what he was given. I personally think that he would have loved a Second career in movies, but serious scripts and non singing roles. I think he truly could have excelled in that arena.- Given the proper scripts and choices.
    I could imagine him in many roles since his death.....but also a world tour would have been fabulous. The fact that the colonel was an illegal immagrant stopped Elvis touring worldwide (not that he knew that was the reason ever!). The Colonel always maintained that no foriegn venue could accomodate Elvis..(BullS**t). But Elvis never questioned the Colonel head on anyway! Although I find it hard to believe that if you could manage Elvis and pay taxes on half his eranings and still you couldn't secure a passport too????
    But there you go that is history!
    But I still maintain that the greatest role Elvis played or could ever play, was being ELVIS PRESLEY!!!!!!!! he deserves the OSCAR for that role for sure....
    A King
    Man!! Are you still here on this forum. It would be good to get your opinions on a few other threads! I agree with you 100%
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Cadillac King
    although depressing, i LOVE discussing what could've been, coz then you can imagine it in your mind

if August 16, 1977 did'nt happen the way it did, i would've liked Elvis to complete the August tour. after that, take a break for the rest of the year, lose good amount of weight, i would settle for Memphis 74 weight. get rid of the colonel, make an exstensive repertoire and do a world tour. have Elvis do 70 to 80 minute shows, but not working too hard.use jumpsuits on occasion, but mostly use the 2 piece outfits from 1975. come back from the world tour, and do the album he should've done in January 77. this is my vision
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

In current mindset:

- More touring of America.

In better mindset:

- Fresh tours to Europe, Asia and Australia.
    - Back to the big screen. In better roles.
    - More recording: either at Graceland or in the studio. Some fresher, bluesier, soulful material -- not as upbeat as the 50's but not as downbeat as the mid/late 70's (think: "That's The Way It Is").

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisdownunder
    although depressing, i LOVE discussing what could've been, coz then you can imagine it in your mind

if August 16, 1977 did'nt happen the way it did, i would've liked Elvis to complete the August tour. after that, take a break for the rest of the year, lose good amount of weight, i would settle for Memphis 74 weight. get rid of the colonel, make an exstensive repertoire and do a world tour. have Elvis do 70 to 80 minute shows, but not working too hard.use jumpsuits on occasion, but mostly use the 2 piece outfits from 1975. come back from the world tour, and do the album he should've done in January 77. this is my vision
    This would have been great if it would have happened this way.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by AKing
    a world tour would have been fabulous. The fact that the colonel was an illegal immagrant stopped Elvis touring worldwide
    According to the novel, "The Colonel", the Colonel was affraid to travel due to his illegal status, brought on by speculation that he had committed a murder in his home country of Holland from where he fled.

I suggest this interesting reading.

I've heard that on the Elvis:Love Me Tender 50th Anniversary dvd where they discuss Elvis and the Colonel, it is very interesting.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

The challanges I would have liked Elvis to face head on would have to be:
    Get healthy and learn moderation-
    World tour to inspire him-
    Major film role with no formula story-
    Desire to record and enjoy making music in the studio-
    Decide to stand up to Parker when he needed to.

The next big challenge for Elvis should have been to get his life straightened up first and foremost and to actually take himself a little break. That would have been the biggest challenge that he could have ever faced in my opinion.

Then he should have probably went on a world tour and maybe got back in the Hollywood thing if the right scripts came his way.
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisdownunder
    WELL SAID SCOTT!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    In better mindset:

- Fresh tours to Europe, Asia and Australia.
    - Back to the big screen. In better roles.
    - More recording: either at Graceland or in the studio. Some fresher, bluesier, soulful material -- not as upbeat as the 50's but not as downbeat as the mid/late 70's (think: "That's The Way It Is").
    EXCELLENT ANALYSIS CRYOGENIC!!!

Of course, the only way all of these things were going to happen was if Elvis had finally parted ways with The Colonel....sadly, though, I have a feeling that if Elvis had lived past August 16th, things probably wouldn't have changed much.

But....it is certainly interesting to think "what if..."

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Everybody makes numerous good points and suggestions. I think first of all he would had to address the bodyguard book written by the West cousins and Dave Hebler, which would have mean't getting "clean" and healthy again and eventually having a press conference. It would have been nice for Elvis to have taken a year off and eventually tour Europe and perhaps get back into films.

I agree Joecar,
    Elvis should have cleared that whole thing up about the book. He should have taken a year off from touring, and then done a world-wide tour like he always wanted to. And he would have been in great shape I think for a world tour.