Thread: Going to Graceland, need some info

Coming On Strong

Going to Graceland, need some info

Ok guys, I am finally going to Graceland this year!!! Going in July and I need some information from those who have been to Memphis. What, besides Graceland, would you recommend that I see??? We definitely want to go to Sun Records and I would like to go to Beale Street. Any advise????? I AM COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!!!!! Would have loved to have went Elvis week, but my schedule wouldnt allow it. But at least I get to go!!
    LeighAnne

Hi SweetInspiration,
    Have you tried checking out the Elvis Insider site...here's a link that may offer some tips...Hope you enjoy! I've never been......I will go one day....

franny

http://www.gracelandtours.com/welcome/

Hey there I hope you have a good time in Memphis, well actually I know you will. Its a great city to visit. This website might help you out some. Have a safe trip!

http://www.ci.memphis.tn.us/framework.aspx?page=555
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Hope you enjoy your trip to Graceland SweetInspiration it is really something. Beale Street is really great and so is the Sun Studio, you get to take a tour there its really neat.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Hi

I am from Memphis and it has some great places to go see. I would recommend, in addition to Graceland, Beale Street and Sun Records.

The Pink Palace Museum

Smithsonian Rock and Soul Museum ( some cool Elvis stuff there)

Memphis Botanical Gardens and Overton Park ( the Overton Park Shell is still there where Elvis performed his first big concert there)

Liberty Land ( Elvis used to rent this out for his friends and Lisa and his favorite ride, The Zippin Pippin, is still there)

Mud Island ( the Museum is great and if you can see a concert there it is awesome and the monorail ride over the river is cool)

The Egypt Museum at the University of Memphis

The Rendevous ( great restaurant downtown, best Bar b que ribs in Memphis!)

The Pyramid

The Cotton Exchange Building ( featured in The Firm )

Drive down Central AVe and you'll see some cool southern Mansions

Captian Bilbo's (fun club and grill)

Take a ride on a Riverboat

The Peabody Hotel ( very famous luxury hotel downtown. Famous people stayed there and they have ducks on the roof they bring down in a red carpet ceremony every day to the fountain. Call ahead and get the schedule. Lansky's , elvis clothier from the 50.s, shop is in there. I met Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP in the bar there once You can also catch a horse drawn carriage ride there. )

Memphis Zoo ( Zoo's make me a bit sad now, but this one is not too bad. Some natural habitat displays )

What Ive read recently ( Supposedly they are building one of the biggest Malls in the World there. Don't know if it's finished)

Tupelo ( where Elvis was born) is not that far a drive south, down Highway 51, into Mississippi) note: Elvis Presley Blvd. turns into Hwy. 51 going south.

Hope this helps!

Have fun.

I miss that town!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Coming On Strong
    Wow!!! Thank you all so much for the information. I cant wait to go!
    LeighAnne

I hope you will have a great time!
    I know it's a little while away, but let us know how you like it!

franny

Coming On Strong
    besides graceland i really enjoyed sun studio.
    also in was nice walking around in the middle of the night on elvis presley blvd.
    if i can dream of a better land

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    ...Not something I'd advise you to do, LeighAnne.

Menwithbrokenhearts covered most of the must-see's there. Beale Street is of course, a blast, and I think you may find yourself content to spend a lot of your time there just hanging out around Graceland. But of course, you'll want to do a few other things.

A couple places I haven't been to and intend to visit on my next trip to Memphis (date undetermined) are Poplar Tunes, where Elvis used to buy his records, and Coletta's, where he used to enjoy their famous barbecue pizza and other, more traditional Italian food.

I'm sure you'll have a great time when you go, neighbor.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Coming On Strong
    Im way too much of a scardy cat to walk around on the street at night!! Id be scared someone would clunck me over the head. I cant stay up too late past dark anyway!! I cant wait to go!!!! This is so awesome. I am counting the days
    LeighAnne

Hey, me and my family heads that way every year around July. My mom's side of the family is down there and Memphis is a fun place to go. Hope you have fun!!!

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SweetInspiration
    Ok guys, I am finally going to Graceland this year!!! I AM COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!!!!! Would have loved to have went Elvis week, but my schedule wouldnt allow it. But at least I get to go!!
    Leigh Anne, thats great!!!! So happy for you!!!

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackChick
    Leigh Anne, thats great!!!! So happy for you!!!
    Yes, so am I .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetInspiration
    Ok guys, I am finally going to Graceland this year!!! Going in July and I need some information from those who have been to Memphis. What, besides Graceland, would you recommend that I see??? We definitely want to go to Sun Records and I would like to go to Beale Street. Any advise????? I AM COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!!!!! Would have loved to have went Elvis week, but my schedule wouldnt allow it. But at least I get to go!!
    HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME SWEETINSPIRATION!!!

I've been to Memphis twice, including a trip to Elvis Week 2000, and it was absolutely fantastic!!! I swear that as I was driving up Elvis Presley Boulevard getting closer to the mansion, I could hear the "2001 Theme" playing...sounds a little weird I know, but that is just the feeling that you get as you approach the mansion, ESPECIALLY for the very first time!!!

I think everyone here has just about covered all of the main points of interest in Memphis....it is a shame though, that Elvis Presley's Memphis restaurant on Beale Street was closed a couple of years ago!! I was lucky enough to visit there when I was in Memphis in 2000, and it was really a neat place to go!!

Hopefully when you get back, you'll be able to share some of your memories with us here on the board!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Hello Sweetinsperation
    Wow! great to hear that you are gonna be there for the firt time! enjoy every moment there!
    It is a lovely place to be, i remember ive been there on 2002 (the 1st time!) & 2003
    Never forget the 1st time, so emotion, so much love in the air! Elvis is everywhere!
    all the friends wrote a great places to visit , so i also say : visit : MAIN STREET in downtown it is very romentis street .
    Sun studio is great, beale st. , & if you have time , take a ride to Elvis birthplace!
    Ive been there also , just to see where the legend was born....WoW !!!
    Have a wonderfull time!
    from me
    LIOR