Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what if Elvis hadn't died in 1977

TCB Mafia

what if Elvis hadn't died in 1977

I was just thinking, what if Elvis hadn't died, and he would have been still around in the eighties, nineties and 2000, which songs would you have liked him to cover??

I would have loved him to sing:

walking in memphis, with of course a change of lyrics
    black velvet, here the same with adaptation of lyrics
    a good rock number with Lisa Marie
    I'm a wild one

Riley

interesting

This is an interesting topic. I don't think that Elvis would have wanted to throw away his bond with tradition. Of course music changed during his life, but there are some roots which keep coming back; his love of religious music, country & western, (rhytm 'n) blues.. His style remained intact during his lifetime. After Elvis died, the world scene changed for the worse (AIDS, neo-conservatism, falling away of social structures, loss of cultural values & identity, new & violent wars). Most popular music of the decades after his passing away sounds plastic to me. Maybe he could have been active just with the music that was very dear to him; something like Johnny Cash did during the American sessions in the 90's and this particular decade. Although not suitable for commercial stations, this w?s great music! Other things I've been thinking about is co-operation with other musicians. I remember that the combination of Johnny Cash with Willie Nelson was worthwhile. I would have loved to hear him sing & perform with Roy Orbison, who died in the 80's. Anyway you look at it, it is speculation; but all in all I don't think Elvis would sell his soul for commercial appeal and I guess that he would have loved to stick to his roots. That doesn't mean that nothing changes. During the later part of his life Cash sounded very different compared to the material that was made during his starting out in the business, and so Elvis did change during his life, but the soul of these men was easy to recognize.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

TCB Mafia
    i agree with you. But I also think Elvis would have needed another manager. Parker wasn't in for much new stuff or changes. I'm glad Elvis made wise descisions in the 68 special and did mostly HIS thing. Quite a show, Elvis looked so beautiful and healthy. Almost unbelievable that he just had to live less than 10 years.

So sad . I often think what went really wrong??
    Why did he gave up on life??

I also think he should have toured outside the States. He would have become even bigger.

Elvis becoming older, well I just think he might have had problems with that.
    He was very well aware of his looks. He knew he was The King.
    Would he have been contented with perhaps not being the number one anymore.

Truth is when artists grow older there are just new ones coming in, that is normal. But being the King for so long, could he have accepted that.

I read he alreaddy had problems with his becoming 40.

I think he sure would have been proud of Lisa Marie's singing career. With her personnal choices in life, I have my doubts. LOL

King

I agree that Parker was... strange. It was great that Elvis decided to do things the way he wanted it to during the Comeback Special. It was rough, but the selection of songs was true to his roots; R'n B, country & western, gospel, ballads... It's just that his voice had matured a whole lot.

I do think that he could have done incredible things outside of the US ?nd that the people would have loved him.

He was well aware of getting older. Though a number one status was not that important; he didn't care that much for being hip or number one on the charts. I think that in his heart he wanted to make the music he loved. The Jungle Room ablum.. err album is great, but most of the songs are too difficult for people who just want to experience immediate gratification.

All in all, it's a strange world...
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Elvis prob. would have sang "Only The Lonley" my fave Roy Orbison song, and "Walk The Line"
    I did it my way.

TCB Mafia
    My God, I sure would liked to have heard him sing those last two.

Hi guys, i'm new to this. I believe in concert, Elvis jokingly said 'Hello I'm Johnny Cash' then sang a few lines of a few of his songs. I think he did the same for other artists songs but of course that was live. cheers Timmsy, Australia

I have always struggled with what I thought Elvis would have done had he lived past 1977. Part of me wants to say that he would have turned toward more of a gospel singer. But then again, I know how he loved being the "King", and in the 70's he was struggling with the fact that he wasnt having the mainstream chart success he was used to. So I would have to say that he would have tried to get his act together, got out the mind frame of where he was more interested in doing more sad, personal songs, and would have started to try and make more commercial music.
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THENATUREBOY
    I have always struggled with what I thought Elvis would have done had he lived past 1977. Part of me wants to say that he would have turned toward more of a gospel singer. But then again, I know how he loved being the "King", and in the 70's he was struggling with the fact that he wasnt having the mainstream chart success he was used to. So I would have to say that he would have tried to get his act together, got out the mind frame of where he was more interested in doing more sad, personal songs, and would have started to try and make more commercial music.
    I think you are right there. Moody Blue and Way Down were fairly contemporary for their time and heading in a different direction. I believe he would have still been interested in gospel and ballads but would still want hits and to please the fans and to remain viable in the music world.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Yeh guys i agree. I think in time, because of the way the public have become he would he would have gotten his act together with his addictions and as many of you say, he would have continued to record and perform hits And the country/gospel songs he cherished all of his life.
    Long love the King!!

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    This discussion is very popular on alot of Elvis forums. I think had Elvis not died in 1977 and would have lived he would have fired Parker and quit touring. I think he would have found another Manager that let Elvis do projects that Elvis wanted to do. I think he would have done some classic movies done a few tours over seas at locations such as Japan, United Kingdon, Austrailia, etc..Then I think Elvis would have settled down and these days would be spending time with his Grandkids at Graceland It would have been nice huh
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Well Elvis might have fired The Colonel, and he might have done some of the projects that he wanted to do, but there is no way Elvis Presley would be sitting around doing nothing, hanging out with the grandkids like a regular grandpa. He needed the stardom, I dont think there is anyway he could have lived without it.
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

I guess his contract with the colonel wouldn't have lasted much longer, simply because of the age of colonel Parker. Elvis could have solved his drug problem and kept on recording. I guess he would have sung country and gospel songs. With a good record producer he could have staged a major comeback (like Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin) and do some really good shows. Maybe he even would have played Vegas again, but this time they would have build an Elvis themed hotel (like they did with The Mirage around Sigfried and Roy). Who knows?

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orwell1976
    I guess his contract with the colonel wouldn't have lasted much longer, simply because of the age of colonel Parker. Elvis could have solved his drug problem and kept on recording. I guess he would have sung country and gospel songs. With a good record producer he could have staged a major comeback (like Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin) and do some really good shows. Maybe he even would have played Vegas again, but this time they would have build an Elvis themed hotel (like they did with The Mirage around Sigfried and Roy). Who knows?
    This would be neat if he'd had a comeback something like Johny Cash did. I dont think that he would do any more engagements in Las Vegas though
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Great question Riley, but also very tricky as it really is impossible to even guess.

I reckon Elvis would have continued what he was doing for a while- after all he was about to go off on a tour when he died. Then he would finally free himself from the Col and possibly have a year or so to decide what he was going to do and get healthy and well again.

After that I think he would just do the stuff that he himself wanted to do. He wouldn't allow himself to be restricted, as the Col so frequently did to him, but just do what made him happy. I think that he would still want his amazing status so maybe he would still continue making some music that would be hits and what his fans wanted but I can see him doing more charity work and those gospel and country songs he cherished so much. Maybe he would also have tried his hand at some more serious acting. And finally he might have left the country and gone on a fabulous world tour- including England!

When I watched a bit of Live 8 last year, I really did think that it was something Elvis would possibly have been connected with, had he not died.

As for music, I would have loved to see him do some Roy Orbison songs and really just more Elvis music. Anything would make me happy.

I know it seems a terrible thing to say, but the only positive thing that came out of Elvis' demise (and I say "positive" very tentatively...) is that he will be remembered for ever as the King. If he had lived, maybe he would have become less popular and fade away (can't see it happening myself but I suppose it is a possibility). As it is, he is an eternal icon, captured forever in his youth- like Marilyn and James Dean. Except he's the greatest of them all.

International Level
    Question: what if Elvis hadn't died in 1977?

Realistically: considering his irreversible bad health (as stated by many from the medical world after studying his autopsy results and medical records) he may only have lived until 1980, max. Sad, but true. Physically, the man was a mess. Mentally, as far as he wasn't already, he was on his way there, for various reasons. Not nice to realize, but unfortunately true.

In fantasy land anything can happen. So, if we throw logic overboard completely, wishful thinking would direct most of us to say that he finally would have come to his senses. That the bodyguard book would have the end result that the West cousins later claimed they were aiming for: wake Elvis up to his horrible reality and inspire him to better his life.
    So, in that fantasy version, he would have done just that. Pulled the plug on his endless touring. Either fire the Colonel, or finally express to him adamantly that if he wished to continue making money off his back, he would have to give Elvis a long hiatus to get his health back.
    Clean house altogether> cut out all the yes-men and hangers-on who weren't contributing in a positive way. Perhaps seek a different hospital than his usual Baptist Memorial, to have a complete, thorough check-up, analysis, diagnosis of all his ailments and ask for the best help available. Get on a program and stick with it. And then, after a year or two of cleaning house, cleaning up his system, clearing his mind, and while doing all that listening to current music styles, slowly plan what he'd like to do with the rest of his life and/or his career.
    Would the world still want a 44 or 45 year old Elvis in 1979/1980 with new wave and punk emerging? Who knows. But at least he would be alive and in a healthier environment.
    That's my take on it.

Cherokee,

Realistically, I would want the same fantasy as you have for Elvis. Makes a whole world of sence to me. Bless you. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

As much as I'd also like to have my fantasies of Elvis getting himself out of the drugs and healthy again etc., I'd have to agree with Cherokee. He should have gotten serious help a couple of years before he died.

I do feel though that he would have been able to hold his own in spite of New Age and Punk as his style was so completely original and with that golden voice. I think the jumpsuits would have fallen away and he would have emerged with again another style all his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I think the jumpsuits would have fallen away and he would have emerged with again another style all his own.

IMO, the jumpsuits should have been done away with after the Aloha broadcast...to me, they had already 'worn out their welcome' by that
    time....

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    I was just thinking, what if Elvis hadn't died, and he would have been still around in the eighties, nineties and 2000, which songs would you have liked him to cover??

I would have loved him to sing:

walking in memphis, with of course a change of lyrics
    black velvet, here the same with adaptation of lyrics
    a good rock number with Lisa Marie
    I'm a wild one

Riley
    Hi Riley, the only problem with Elvis singing those songs, would be that they would not have been written if Elvis lived!! But I can see what you mean, they are the kind of songs that would suit his voice.
    I'd have loved to see Elvis take a break for a few years, then come back with the 50's rocker look again during the eighties. That would have been amazing and hailed him as the king all over again, Can you imagine... 'Elvis '85 Comeback Special'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast