Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sergeant Elvis Presley

Sergeant Elvis Presley

Now that Graceland is a Historic National Monument wouldn't it be nice if there was a life-sized bronze staue of Sergeant Elvis Presley close by?

Elvis in his pristine dress USA army uniform would be an exceptionally striking figure for visitors to Memphis to pose with, and be photographed.

http://press.xtvworld.com/article10249.html

Last edited by MauriceColgan; 03-27-2006 at 05:12 AM.

Ummm..only my personal opinion, but I like him as a performer/singer/musician more than a soldier, lol
    Anyway, is there any statue of Elvis in Memphis? Besides Graceland, I mean?

Indre, Yes there are two statues of Elvis in Memphis. One on Beale Street portraying the young Elvis circa 1956 and another by the Mississippi river at the Tennessee welcome centre Elvis as a Pioneer.

So why not Elvis the Soldier just for a little more respect after all he appeared as a soldier on at least one CD:-)

OOOh, thanks for the info. Memphis without Elvis monument would be somehow weird, I guess.
    Don't get me wrong, I do respect him as a soldier and all..what I meant is that I would rather have a pic with him looking another way, lol

Backstage Pass
    That would be a good idea in Germany where elvis was stationed.

Quote Originally Posted by graceland123
    That would be a good idea in Germany where elvis was stationed.
    Good idea....and perhaps a monument at the USS Arizona Memorial for the benefit concert he did there.
    On the hills of Georgia
    Across the plains of Tennessee
    I've seen and I've done most everything
    That a man can do or see

graceland123, there is a Memorial to Elvis in Germany.

THENATUREBOY, Yes a fitting memorial in Hawaii would be nice too. I believe there is a plaque there. But not many people know about it?

TCB Mafia
    that would be a great idea!

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan

THENATUREBOY, Yes a fitting memorial in Hawaii would be nice too. I believe there is a plaque there. But not many people know about it?

They took the plaque down the last time I was there (at the Arizona Memorial ). Their excuse was that because he was associated with drugs they took it away. Shameful!!!

Makes me so mad. Hell, that benefit concert practically built that Memorial!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

menwithbrokenhearts, why not contact the Hawiian media? A newspaper there printed a letter I submitted about Elvis. Worth a try anyway.

A letter sent 2001 led to this statue 2002:-)

http://press.xtvworld.com/article10249.html Campaigning can be fun.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Thanks for the picture of the statue, very cool, I haven't never seen that before .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

No, I dont.

That is a good idea, the memorial in Hawaii for Elvis. I never knew that there was a plaque there.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

elvispresleyfan1935, Thanks. The statue of Elvis as a boy is beside the little house where he was born in Tupelo Mississippi.

I did write a letter about the Hawaiian plaque to a Honolulu newspaper...it's on the Internet:-)

So ordinary Elvis fans can participate in the growing Elvis story.

International Level

Cool

There never was a plaque that listed those who helped in the donations, the actual recognition for that concert is at the Musical Hall where the concert was held, this was Elvis' wish. He didn't want a big deal made about his involvment once the memorial was built. And there was never a plaque for anybody, so his name never was up and then came off. The rumor that it would have been taken off because of his drug problem is also not true, they respect those who gave and wouldn't take them off for something like that.

The musuem just added some new stuff one of which is a big board that recognizes all those who helped in the donations. In the center is a paragraph of the $64,000 Elvis raised and a poster from the concert. That is the recognition by Pearl Harbor. It is equal and honest. One thing not to forget, Elvis didn't raise the most money, it wasn't 'Elvis built'. And the whole concept of Pearl Harbor is remembering those lost not who built it or donated!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    There never was a plaque that listed those who helped in the donations, the actual recognition for that concert is at the Musical Hall where the concert was held, this was Elvis' wish. He didn't want a big deal made about his involvment once the memorial was built. And there was never a plaque for anybody, so his name never was up and then came off. The rumor that it would have been taken off because of his drug problem is also not true, they respect those who gave and wouldn't take them off for something like that.

The musuem just added some new stuff one of which is a big board that recognizes all those who helped in the donations. In the center is a paragraph of the $64,000 Elvis raised and a poster from the concert. That is the recognition by Pearl Harbor. It is equal and honest. One thing not to forget, Elvis didn't raise the most money, it wasn't 'Elvis built'. And the whole concept of Pearl Harbor is remembering those lost not who built it or donated!

That's a very good point you bring up 0349054 and very true... the memorial shouldn't be about Elvis really but about the lives of the people.

Also, thank you for telling me about Elvis not wanting a big deal... it just proves even further as to what a humble and generous man he was
    Amzie
    "Few will have the greatness to bend history"
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../69pccopy3.jpg

There are plenty of photographs of Elvis displaying cheques he wrote for Charity....posing with children in wheel chairs, etc........... he was not half as modest as some would have us believe:-)

Sometimes people need to be reminded of his efforts and how many Elvis fans followed his example...................with the help of the press.

As for a Plaque.......

Last edited by MauriceColgan; 04-04-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks for posting the pictures Maurice.

International Level

Cool

There are plenty of photographs of Elvis displaying cheques he wrote for Charity....posing with children in wheel chairs, etc........... he was not half as modest as some would have us believe:-)

Sometimes people need to be reminded of his efforts and how many Elvis fans followed his example...................with the help of the press.

As for a Plaque.......

There never was an offical plauqe on display.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

What's a plauqe:-) But it doesn't really matter.

The fact Hawaii recognises Elvis related tourist potential, like Tupelo finally did, is fine with me.

At least Elvis received a plaque from the, "Wall of Honor" - It's written on the plaque elvis is holding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast