Thread: Weight and material of jumpsuits.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar

Weight and material of jumpsuits.

I was wondering about the material and weight (avg.) of the jumpsuits Elvis wore. I was looking at some pre concert shots of Elvis in regular clothes and he looks so thin and then I watched the Aloha special and he looks heavier. I know the camera puts on a few and I was wondering if the jumpsuit also made it look so. Then I started thinking about that one and a few others that were ornate and bejeweled and got to wondering about weight and material. I bet some of those were sometimes rather uncomfortable and hot under the lights and on stage. Anyway, just curious. Thanks!!!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Right now I'm not able to tell you anything about the weight but I will make efforts to find out. I do know that prior to the embroidered jumpsuits, which got introduced in the spring of 1974, the weight of the suits increased. Suits like the "Black Conquistador", "White Conquistador", "Thunderbird", "Pharaoh", the 1973 "Fire Suit" and the different versions of the "Spanish Flowers" must have been quite heavy.

The suits were made of wool gabardine and they bought tons of it in Milan, Italy. They bought so many that B & K Enterprises is still manufacuring jumpsuits of the same shipment. It's a very light weighted material and it is able to stretch a bit. It's very comfortable material. Originally this fabric is used for the jumpsuits ice skaters wear. It will always keep its original shape without the need of ironing.

I think I've read somewhere a while ago, that they (the ones with jewels in them) weighed around 13-20, just don't remember of what - pounds or kilograms..lol...don't quote me though

Vincent
    By 1973 most of Elvis jumpsuits were adorned with jewels, making the costumes very heavy, even without the added burden of the cape, which Elvis would stop using by the end of that year.

Not only that those suits were havy, they really added a few pounds. As you said, when Elvis was photographed in "normal" clothes, he looks not fat (even in most 1977 pictures he still looks like an average american in that age), but with those tight suits he looks much havier.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Thanks for your responses! I'll be looking forward to more info, if you can find it Leroy! Thank you in advance for looking! I knew, if anybody, you'd have it!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

You're so great Leroy! Wow! I only knew jumpsuits were kind of heavy... But, could you please help me with this other question... Why Priscilla thought about these suits? Do you know the story?
    Thanks for all wonderful info' you give to all of us here in TCB!!!!!!!
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Priscilla had nothing to do with it, at least not with the jumpsuits. She might have come up with some ideas in his personal wardrobe but not with his stage attire.
    All designs were made by Bill Belew (1968 - 1971) and Gene Doucette (1971 - 1977).

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Priscilla told Elvis about wearing those Karate like suites that he wore during the year 1969 because it allowed him to move around more freely and his clothes would not be getting caught together
    But later on the suites became more flashier and had more material added like all of the jewels etc...She mentions alittle bit of this on "Elvis By The Presley's" I believe. I wonder how much the Mexican Sundial Suite weighed it looks pretty heavy?
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Again Priscilla had nothing to do with Elvis stage wardrobe. It was Bill Belew who launched the idea of the karate inspired suits. By that time Bill knew Elvis very well because of their working relationship during the 1968 TV Special. It was his idea entirely.
    Priscialla is known for her rich imagination and the tendency to re-create the Elvis myth. She didn't exactly burst after the first lie.

I was also wondering, did any of the fans or people know if Elvis was gaining weight during the end of 1971 and through out his 1972 concert years because he was really slim during his 1969 and 1970 concerts and his voice really changed also during 1972 did anyone notice during those years?

Thanks for the info !
    When i went to Graceland, the suits looked a lot smaller. And i know Elvis was a tall person, but did anybody else notice how small they looked ? Probably because of his slim figure.

MissyM
    Just another case where Cilla is a legend in her own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    Thanks for the info !
    When i went to Graceland, the suits looked a lot smaller. And i know Elvis was a tall person, but did anybody else notice how small they looked ? Probably because of his slim figure.

I thought the jumpsuits looked a lot slimmer than I'd imagined.
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.