Thread: What did Elvis think about himself?

What did Elvis think about himself?

I wonder how Elvis saw himself through his life. I think he was a deep thinker and a spiritual man, but how did he felt about his personality, his style, his success, of being ELVIS PRESLEY, etc.? Did he plan every step of his life (as sung in My Way)? I mean it especially on his early days when everything came together for him. Was he really a chosen one or was there a very conscious script in his mind and in the Colonel's? They really knew together what to do to conquer the world. I think there was some certain concepts in Elvis's mind when he was very young, how to dress, how to act, how to be the one and only Elvis. And then he matched up with the Colonel, who absolutely agreed and let him to walk on his way. So what do you know or think about this?

Don't you read any books?

Yes, I have read a few, but I need your oppinion on this. Are you mad at me, Leroy?

Backstage Pass
    Elvis always saw hisself as a very humble person that lived in a little home..with Vernon and Gladys....How much money he had, or how many houses..He never saw hisself as a 'Sex symbol' Or an Idol..He just was that shy boy that was born on january 8 1935

I'm not sure that anyone can successfully plan every step of their life. I think Elvis knew from a very young age that he wanted to be a star, but I highly doubt he could've known just what kind of star he'd become. He couldn't have dreamed he'd be the first real rock star, since such a thing didn't yet exist, and because he originally saw himself as a ballad or gospel singer. However, there is this quote that makes me wonder:

"Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said that if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I'd be a music man like nobody ever saw." (italics added for emphasis)

That almost makes me think that Elvis had some idea that he'd be a very different kind of singer than the ones who'd come before him (his appearance -- the pink-and-black clothes, the wild hair -- indicates this, too).

That aside, I don't really think that his career was the successful working out of some plan. A lot of things just happened by accident. Like his dance moves, for example -- they were the product of stage fright and nervousness. And some of his plans never quite came to fruition -- his plan to become a serious actor, for example. We all know how that turned out...

Okay, I take back what I wrote: His dance moves weren't COMPLETELY the product of stage fright and nervousness. But that's kinda how they started, I think. He probably just danced like that naturally, too...

Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella
    Yes, I have read a few, but I need your oppinion on this. Are you mad at me, Leroy?
    No not at all!!! But the question surprised me a bit.

Backstage Pass
    "A Stone cold natural freak"
    "When You Let Your Head get Too Big, It'll Break your Neck" Elvis Presley.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Ocean
    Elvis always saw hisself as a very humble person that lived in a little home..with Vernon and Gladys....How much money he had, or how many houses..He never saw hisself as a 'Sex symbol' Or an Idol..He just was that shy boy that was born on january 8 1935
    Yeah, and that's why I love him so much. A great spirit, wonderful man, in spite of the fact that he could have anything he wanted, many women wanted him, etc. He still stayed shy and humane.
    Btw, his sense of humor is/was striking

Elvis indeed left us with a need of a couple of indeep and long interviews for sure, one aroud '69-70 and another around '75, early '76 I think that would have been revealing

Its obvious he wondered his whole adult life "Why Me?" His constant reading of spritually oriented material shows this. He seemed to never understand his true impact on music and culture. The longer he was a superstar the more it preyed on his mind"WHy Me?" His line from the 68 special "It never ceases to amaze me baby" shows he was as amazed at his impact on people as we were.

Vincent
    He always repressed himself. Explains why he always watched movies alone. Beside having "friends" he was a lonely person and something was missing, perhaps because he lost his twin brother always effected him. His passion for Gospel music and religion got a lot of influences on this.
    Last edited by Vincent; 01-26-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Smile Carless Love

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent
    He always repressed himself. Explains why he always watched movies alone. Beside having "friends" he was a lonely person and something was missing, perhaps because he lost his twin brother always effected him. His passion for Gospel music and religion got a lot of influences on this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Although in Carless Love he does say to the guru (his hairdresser at the time 1960's) on some lonely interstate highway 'why me man' and then in the 70's he says on stage that 'I have out sold The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Tom Jones the lot of them and i'm still out selling them all if you want to argue about it you can come around to my house and see all the gold records on the wall' but my thought on the whole thing is this...The name ELVIS is in it self unique when ever has there been another Elvis before ELVIS came along, the man himself even when he got old he still looked young wether that is due to his star sign i do not know but it is said that capricorns are born old and grow young, and his talent, well the voice he never lost his voice once people half his age lose there voice half an hour on stage not Elvis, and still the mystery continues to this day about the man...
    Redroo

Quote Originally Posted by Redroo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Although in Carless Love he does say to the guru (his hairdresser at the time 1960's) on some lonely interstate highway 'why me man' and then in the 70's he says on stage that 'I have out sold The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Tom Jones the lot of them and i'm still out selling them all if you want to argue about it you can come around to my house and see all the gold records on the wall' but my thought on the whole thing is this...The name ELVIS is in it self unique when ever has there been another Elvis before ELVIS came along, the man himself even when he got old he still looked young wether that is due to his star sign i do not know but it is said that capricorns are born old and grow young, and his talent, well the voice he never lost his voice once people half his age lose there voice half an hour on stage not Elvis, and still the mystery continues to this day about the man...
    Redroo
    Got old? 42 is not very old!