Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lava Jumpsuit (1973-74)

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Lava Jumpsuit (1973-74)

Lava Jumpsuit (1973-74)

Known Dates Jumpsuit Worn:-

Sept 1, 1973 (3:00 pm)
    Jan/Feb 1974

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01) Dressing room Sep. 1st-1973.jpg   02) Dressing room Sep. 1st-1973.jpg   Lava 1973-74.jpg  

Last edited by Jumpsuit Junkie; 03-29-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Apologies for the error in this Jumpsuit being posted twice I tried to merge the two threads and lost both, so here is the definitive and only thread.

Matt

Thank you Matt. Much better. Maybe you can also take a look at the tread of the "Black Fireworks". There's a picture of the "Black Matador" on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouni
    I think it would be good to update the whole jumpsuit section a little bit. You know, like some of the threads may have "wrong" titles... like, change the Apache jumpsuit to Nail Swirl, since that is the original/real name for that jumpsuit. Stuff like that... What do you think? Matt?

Jouni
    I have done some updating........ but some of the names are long standing and are the names people will look for on the Jumpsuit Section!

I will perhaps change them and add (aka) so that people will know.

Matt

I know the story...

Las Vegas, NV. August 1973.

This " Elvis Summer Festival " engagement started on August 6th and ended on September 3rd.

The opening show was very good and Elvis tried some new songs that night, among them were a medley of " Trouble/Raised On Rock "and a full version of " Memphis Tennessee ". It seems that Elvis didn't think this medley was really interesting as he left out " Raised On Rock " on the following shows and kept only " Trouble ".

Elvis had new jumpsuits for that engagement and the one in the photo above is possibly one of them, still it's possible that it was worn in February '73 or at Lake Tahoe in May '73. Photographs of that suit are quite rare and this one is often being referred as the " Amber jumpsuit ".

I like the detail on this one. Great suit, IMO!

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

lava jumpsuit.

this is a very nice suit. thanks for posting the pics for us

very nice suit.

Re: Lava Jumpsuit (1973-74)

I would love to see more pics of this suit!!!!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nabelt24 View Post
    I would love to see more pics of this suit!!!!
    So would all of us... too bad only a few have surfaced.

one of his best i say! it was made beautifully!

" I Just LOVE MY ELVIS !"

International Level moody-blues67's Avatar

A really nice jumpsuit

I Like This Jumpsuit Alot,
    Reminds Me Of The Fire Suit.
    I Love To See More Live Pictures Of This Suit.
    Shall I Return Safe Home Again To England.

Backstage Pass

There are more close up pics of this suit pictures , also the belt as well. it also shows the kickpleat in the legs were actually tiger print material. the cape also had tiger print but was sold at an auction. this along with the aloha suit were probably the only 2 suits Elvis requested. This suit he want to resemble a tiger spine, also the pattern on the front and back appear on the leg design of the '74 embroidered tiger suit. to see close pics of it go to. flickr.com/photos/presleycollectibles once on there look to the right and there as a picture caption elvis jumpsuits.

Yeah, I never bought the 'lava' name, nor do I think that a lot of the names allegedly given by the suits' creators were actually given during Elvis' lifetime (I suspect the reality is that most, unless very obvious like the eagle suits, dragon, tiger, etc, didn't have names but were just done up and shipped off to Elvis). The only name that makes sense for this suit is 'Tiger.' The cabochons and studs arranged as tiger stripes, the tiger fabric inside the kickpleats and lining the cape, the tiger buckles on the belt...'lava,' my bootie...
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by 1100ccRider View Post
    Yeah, I never bought the 'lava' name, nor do I think that a lot of the names allegedly given by the suits' creators were actually given during Elvis' lifetime (I suspect the reality is that most, unless very obvious like the eagle suits, dragon, tiger, etc, didn't have names but were just done up and shipped off to Elvis). The only name that makes sense for this suit is 'Tiger.' The cabochons and studs arranged as tiger stripes, the tiger fabric inside the kickpleats and lining the cape, the tiger buckles on the belt...'lava,' my bootie...
    I agree with you 100%, i would call this the tiger studded /jeweled. But lava isnt close. maybe because it appears to be dripping downward, but the tiger cape and pleats say the name. topaz suit i can understand because of the color, plus the cape and pleats were never in pictures till now so i can see the color name.
    Most second names came from album covers the suit was on, but other suits were made in pairs or three's in different colors and pattern and shipped out the door.

Backstage Pass

i found the holy grail on the cape http://www.elvis-collectors.com/memo...ambercape.html

the 5th picture on site displayed the suit with the cape and Belt from the '74 nail mirror suit, not to be confused by the '73 nail studded suit.
    Last edited by drumzz70; 03-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Backstage Pass

I tried contacting the lady several years ago after seeing those exact same pictures. She was only looking for live photos of Elvis wearing the cape. The cape was at the vault and these were the only photos she had made of it. I was looking for better quality photos and those should be out there (if even for insurance).

I very seriously doubt that Elvis did wear this cape. I made a 1:1 copy and tried to be exact and used glass stones.
    The cape is VERY heavy.
    Probably one of the heaviest capes of all, together with the stone flame, aloha, arabian.

Backstage Pass

i agree, as Elvis only wore capes for the last song in '73 for that reason of them being heavy. I would also say the orange sunburst cape was pretty heavy as well as any cape from '73. Could you post pictures of your cape ? , it would be cool to see .

Backstage Pass

Just for the record, Elvis wore capes until early March 1974. There is photographic evidence of Elvis wearing capes in August 1973 (Vegas) and on Tour March 1974.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast