Thread: Springsteen At Graceland An Elvis Fans`s Own Story

Cadillac King

Springsteen At Graceland An Elvis Fans`s Own Story

From the fan club archives and the Bruce Springsteen New Jersey Club (1986)

Over the 20 years that Elvis lived at Graceland the security stff enjoyed a friendly and usually wellcontrolled relationship with the fans and the curiosity seekers who gathered at the Graceland gates night and day. Once in a while, though, someone would get brave and jump over the fence and head for the house. The guards sometimes had to pull people off the hood of Elvis` car, coax them down fromthe trees, and chase them all over the grounds. One night in 1975, a singer on the threshold of superstardom made a stop at Graceland in hope of having an audience with his idol. The singer was Bruce Springsteen, and, here, in his own words, is the story he often tells in concerts:

Back in `75 on the ``BORN TO RUN`` Tour- a little bit of history for you...We were down in Memphis, and I remember it was late at night, and I was sittin` in a motel room with me and my guitar player, Steve. We got a taxi to take us out to Elvis`s house.

And it took us out there in the middle of the night, and I remember we got ouuta cab, and we stood there in front of those gates with the big guitar players on `em. And when we looked up the driveway, in the second story of the house, you could see a light on, and I figured that Elvis has gotta be up readin` or somethin`. And I told Steve, I said `Steve, man, I gotta go check it out!`. And I jumped up pver the wall and I started runnin` up the driveway. which when I look back on it now was kind of a stupid thing to do, because I hate it when people do it at my house.

Anyway, at the time, I was filled with the enthusiasm of youth and ran up the driveway and I got to the front door and I was just about to knock, and guards came out of the woods and they asked me what I wanted. And I said ``Is Elvis home?`` Then they said `No, no, Elvis isn`t home, he`s in Lake Tahoe`.

So, I started to tell `em that I was a guitar palyer and that I had my own band, and that we palyed in town that night, and that I made some records. And I even told `em I had my picture on the cover of TIME and NEWSWEEK. I had to pull out all the stops to try and make an impression, you know. I don`t think he beleived me, though, ``cause he just kinda stood there noddin`...and then he took me by the arm and put me back out on the street with Steve.

Later on, I used to wonder what I would have said if I`d knocked on the door and if Elvis had come to the door, because it really wasn`t Elvis I was goin` to see. But, it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody`s ear, and somehow we all deamed it. And maybe that`s why we`re here tonight, I don`t know.

I remember later, when a friend of mine called to tell me that he`d died, it was so hard to undersatnd how somebody whose music came in and took away so many people`s loneliness and gave so many people a reason and a sense of the possibilities of living could have, in the end, died so tragically. And I guess when you`re alone, you ain`t nothin` but alone.

So, anyway, I`d like to do this song for you tonight, wishing you all the longest life with the best of absolutely everything...

The story always gets screams and applause, and Bruce uses it as an introduction to his favorit Elvis song, ``Follow That Dream``.

HAVE A NICE DAY, BOGARCON

Great Reading This!!!

I had always heard that Bruce Springsteen jumped that wall and tried to talk with Elvis but I did not really know for sure... wow, he was sure a crazzzy guy!!! I do like Bruce Springsteen ~~~ he gives his all at his concerts and I sure can see why he would want to talk to the King. Wow, "If I can Dream" why not...

I love to read your posts Bogarcon. I truly do not know where you get all your information from it it is great and brings a smile to my face always. Thanks so much for caring enough to share with us. Dovey

Cadillac King

Springsteen At Graceland....

THANKS, DOVEY. i HAVE A LOT OF STUFF. bY THE WAY YOU KNOW THAT THE SONG ``FIRE`` (FROM BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN) RECORDED BY THE POINTER SISTERS WAS FOR ELVIS? bUT ELVIS PROBABLY DIDN`T LIKE SOME OF THE WORDS DECIDED TO RECORD THE POINTER SISTERS HIT..FAIRYTALE..WHAT A STORY THAT SONG WAS AND STILL IS...

HAVE A NICE DAY, BOGARCON