Thread: Hawaii `57...

Cadillac King

Hawaii `57...

FROM THE OFFICIAL ELVIS PRESLEY FAN CLUB BULLETIN 1957
    On November 9,`57, Elvis arrived in Hawaii on the Matsonia at 9 a.m. and was welcomed by the shrieks of some 4,000 fans. Before he landed he met the press aboard ship.
    Speaking with Southern slur and liberally punctuating his answers with ``sir``, Elvis freely admitted, ``I`m pretty green when it comes to clothes. I don`t pay over $7 for a shirt and $10 for a pair of shoes. But i do plan to stock up on a Hawaiian outfit while I`m here.`` Elvis wore a white knit sweater with large rolled collar, a wine-cloured sports coat and black slacks. Asked if he might visit any neighbor islands, he said, ``it depends on how we`re received here.`` Elvis explained their sudden decision to visit the Islands this way: ``It was a real rush deal. We were in Hollywood to make a picture (``King Creole``, then unnamed), but it was postponed until the first of the year. We weren`t doing anything, so Mr. Parker asked if we`d like to go to Hawaii. I said `HUH!` and was packed right away.``
    As for his travelling companions, mostly high school friends and disc jockeys, Elvis said, ``I like to have my friends along...it gives me a little touch of home. Anyway, it`s more fun to see things together. I`ve got a waiting list...pretty long one..of friends who want to make trips with me. In fact, I`ve heard from lots of so-called old friends from years ago who always say, `You remember me, don`t you?``` As for such nicknames as ``Elvis the pelvis``, Elvis said, ``there`s nothing I can do about it, but it sounds like little kids trying to find something to rhyme with Elvis.`` He said, ``I would eventually like to be a good actor. I haven`t had time up to mow, but I would like to study for it.`` Asked why he didn`t use the plane, he said `` I don`t like airplanes. I`m scared stiff of them. In fact, we could`ve been on this one missing now.`` The Jordanaires and his back band arrived by plane same day.
    SCREAMING AUDIENCE
    On Sunday, November 10, Elvis appeared twice at the Honolulu Stadium and drew 14,963 spectators who paid $32,000 (Elvis was reported to get more than half of it). After juggling hula, sworddancing and jive, Elvis appreared on the open-air stage dressed in a gold lame jacket, a black shirt and black slacks. Elvis sang ``Don`t Be Cruel``, ``That`s When Your Heartaches Begin`` and many more, but the screams drowned out his voice a great portion of the time. Elvis had only to say, ``Thank you very much``, and the audience would scream. He`d scratch his nose, another scream. He`d laugh; another scream. At times Elvis seemed to deleberately drop his arm or wiggle his shoulder just to hear his fans react. He performed for about 40 minutes. Surprisingly he spent more time at the piano than he did with his guitar. As he sang closing number, ``Hound Dog``,he sat down on the edge of the stage and then he jumped off-stage onto the grass in front of the stage. Rolling on the grass moaning out the words of ``Hound Dog``, he kissed a girl across the barricade set up to keep the audience away from the stage, grabbed a coconut hat and paraded with it on his head. After he finished the song, he stepped into a waiting car and speed out of sight.
    On November 11, Elvis did another concert at Schofield Barrcks Military Reservation and drew another 10,000 fans. It is Elvis last live apppearance before joining the Army. On November 13 Elvis left for mainland on the Lurline. Col. Parker planned an Australian tour following their visit to Hawaii but it was not realized. Col. Parker said ``We`re always open to a last-minute switch.``

HAVE A NICE DAY, BOGARCON

Hey great post! thanks for sharing this year by year reviews, I enjoy them, like a piece of time, its interesting to me to read articles not writen nowdays of Elvis the Historic figure, but arcticles from the days when he was there, like the Rolling Stone Review of the Madison Square Garden '72 gig, its cool to read how people think of him back then.

Happy 2006.

The Rolling Stone Memorial Issue with Elvis on the cover has a lot of articles from the years the magazine covered him. I liked the review of the Boston concert on 71.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock
    Hey great post! thanks for sharing this year by year reviews, I enjoy them, like a piece of time, its interesting to me to read articles not writen nowdays of Elvis the Historic figure, but arcticles from the days when he was there, like the Rolling Stone Review of the Madison Square Garden '72 gig, its cool to read how people think of him back then.

Happy 2006.
    Thanks, I have a part 2 for this Hawaii `57 and it`s a short press conference. I will put it here in a day or two. have a nice day, bogarcon

Thank you for all the wonderful news you have been posting here.

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Great Reading your Posts

Another great post Bogarcon... Thanks so much for sharing with us. I really enjoy reading your posts... It is great of you to share with us. Please keep up the great work. (A labor of love I am sure!!) Dovey

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovey
    Another great post Bogarcon... Thanks so much for sharing with us. I really enjoy reading your posts... It is great of you to share with us. Please keep up the great work. (A labor of love I am sure!!) Dovey
    Thanks, Dovey, Tommy, KPM, Raised on rock...I`m doing this because it`s fun and I know there`s a lot of ``youngsters`` on this site and also it remind me somthing from 1978..I recived a newsletter from a club and normally it was 24 pages but there was only 4 pages and the editorial from the president was...``NO NEWS...NO RECORDS...NO INTERVIEWS..NOTHING NEW...`` Well that was a mistake because almost 30 years after the`s 100`s and 100`s of stories of all kind to tell..and I have a lot and it`s fun.
    have a nice day, bogarcon

Hi KMP, that Rolling Stone Issue sounds great, but I guess is gona be kind of dificult for me to get it right now, could you post that Boston Review if you got the time, Im sure a lot of people will enjoy that very much...

"I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time