Thread: Elvis' greatest singles

Elvis' greatest singles

If you had to choose one single that could be called the greatest Elvis single, released in his lifetime, which one would you choose? We know that "Hound Dog"/"Don't Be Cruel" was the best-seller, but what was the best produced, performed, written, etc?

I would choose "Kentucky Rain". A mature, well-written song, brilliantly produced and performed by Elvis. I think this was his greatest single. The only down side is the b-side "My Little Friend" was medicocre.

As far as weakest singles, the early 70's were a time of strange single releases in Elvis' musical career. "Until It's Time For You To Go" b/w "We Can Make the Morning"? Both pretty songs, but there does not seem to be much commerical potential there. It did make the top 40 though.

I don't think EP ever released any really bad singles. Even the silly movie songs were usually backed with a decent studio cut. The "Life"/"Only Believe" release is another head-scratcher though.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    It's Now Or Never b/w A Mess Of Blues would have to be up there.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

what about seperate ways/always on my mind
    wonder of you/mama liked the roses
    one night/igot stung
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

We Can Make the Morning was, and is, a great song it was much in the vein of similar pop songs out in early 70s at the time I thought it was very contemporary. I always thought is should have been pushed harder by RCA.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    We Can Make the Morning was, and is, a great song it was much in the vein of similar pop songs out in early 70s at the time I thought it was very contemporary. I always thought is should have been pushed harder by RCA.
    I love this song! It's one of elvis' best songs and in my opinion is one of the most under-rated. I could listen to this song all day long... it's brilliant and I love the way it builds up so when Elvis sings "it's a long long lonely night... we can make the morning if we try" for the last few times at the end of the song they are so impassioned.
    I also agree with you about it being contempory- if this song were released now I'm sure it would rocket straight up to number one.

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nashville cat
    If you had to choose one single that could be called the greatest Elvis single, released in his lifetime, which one would you choose? We know that "Hound Dog"/"Don't Be Cruel" was the best-seller, but what was the best produced, performed, written, etc?

I would choose "Kentucky Rain". A mature, well-written song, brilliantly produced and performed by Elvis. I think this was his greatest single. The only down side is the b-side "My Little Friend" was medicocre.

As far as weakest singles, the early 70's were a time of strange single releases in Elvis' musical career. "Until It's Time For You To Go" b/w "We Can Make the Morning"? Both pretty songs, but there does not seem to be much commerical potential there. It did make the top 40 though.

I don't think EP ever released any really bad singles. Even the silly movie songs were usually backed with a decent studio cut. The "Life"/"Only Believe" release is another head-scratcher though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jez there are so many...'Kentucky Rain' is a great song though much more could have been done with it...i could not stop at one, so i made a 4 volume cd set called 'Graceland gates' you can check out the pics in the gallary under 'Graceland'

Cadillac King
    I agree that "We Can Make the Morning" and "Until It's Time for You to Go" are magnificent performances by Elvis. They should have done better on the charts, IMHO. Elvis' voice is so convincing and the overdubs are incredible. "Morning" is, as stated above, a really nice contemporary effort for Elvis with it's early 1972 release.

For me, "I'm Leavin" b/w "Heart of Rome," while not selling well relatively speaking, is a great single release.

IM

Rags To Riches/Where Did They Go, Lord

Elvis sings his lungs out!

Cadillac King
    contenders

any day now/in the ghetto
    suspicious minds/you'll think of me
    if you talk in your sleep/help me
    promised land/its midnight
    hurt/for the heart
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Cadillac King
    I'll just list my Top 5 Elvis songs. They were all released as singles:

Suspicious Minds
    Burning Love
    Can't Help Falling In Love
    Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    It's Now Or Never

Coming On Strong
    I don't think I've ever heard "We Can Make The Morning". What album is it on?
    Before Elvis, there was nothing....

"We Can Make the Morning" originally appeared on 1972's Elvis Now LP.

I agree with many of the comments. I like Elvis' performance of the song, but there has always seemed something "loose" about it. The band and arrangements sound bland to me. As an album cut, it may have gotten by, but as a single - it just seems to lack something to my ears. It doesn't have an "Elvis sound" to me. Maybe they were trying something different, more contemporary. But the more contemporary sounding cuts from that time period sometime wind up sounding more dated to me.

I think it's another example of a very mediocre song that Elvis valiantly tried to breathe some life into with his singing.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time