Thread: Flashback (Book + CD)

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Flashback (Book + CD)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftd35.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	12951

FLASHBACK - A book/CD package from the 'Follow That Dream' (FTD) Collector's Label. FLASHBACK - THE BOOK contains over 200 photographs capturing Elvis at the height of his success as 'The King of Rock N' Roll' from January 1956 through June 1958. FLASHBACK - THE CD contains almost 70 minutes of previously unreleased music from the same time period.

*** DELETED TITLE ***

Tracklist: (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

01: Heartbreak Hotel - take 5 /4)
    02: Money Honey - take 10 (intro only)
    03: I'm Counting On You - takes 1, 2 & unknown
    04: I Was The One (unedited master)
    05: Lawdy, Miss Clawdy - takes 11 & 12
    06: Shake, Rattle & Roll - takes 3 & 5-7
    07: I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - take 3
    08: Rip It Up - takes 10-12 & 16
    09: Loving You - takes HZ-2 & HZ-3 (slow farm version)
    10: I Need Your Love Tonight - takes 12 & 13
    11: A Big Hunk 'O Love - take 2
    12: Ain't That Loving You Baby - take 8
    13: (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I - takes 4 & 5
    14: I Got Stung - takes 4-8
    15: That's When Your Heartaches Begin - take 1
    16: It Is No Secret - take 5
    17: Blueberry Hill - take 3
    18: Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - takes 6 & 7
    19: Is It So Strange? - takes 8 & 9
    20: Loving You - take 6
    21: Loving You - take 12
    22: Treat Me Nice - takes 1-3
    23: Young And Beautiful - take 6
    24: I Want To Be Free - take 11
    25: Don't Leave Me Now - takes 7 & 8

Reviews:
    Keith Flynn
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 02-10-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Heartbreak Hotel ? Takes 5 & 4 (Spliced)
    Take 5 has appeared on ?Elvis 56? & a ?CD Single? from BMG, and on the bootleg ?Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Memory)?. We get the first 1.12 (1.27?) on here spliced with the last 1.09 (0.43?) of Take 4, which has never been released. The tape BMG have only has the last half of the take on it; the rest of the tape must have been erased. The Master is Take 7.

Money Honey ? Take 10 (Intro Only)
    No out takes of this song have surfaced in any form, and we only get the first 20 seconds of the take here, the rest of the tape must have been erased. The Master is spliced from Takes 5 & 6.

I?m Counting On You ? Takes 1, 2 & Unknown
    We have only had Take 13 before which was on ?Platinum?, and no other out takes have surfaced until now. Take 1 seems to be two False Starts (0.17)(or 0.20?), and Take 2 seems to be a False Start (0.16)(or 0.10?), but with no vocals. The complete take (NA) is 2.24 (2.27?), and all are unreleased. The Master is Take 17.

I Was The One ? Take 7 (Unedited)
    We have had Takes 1, 2 & 3 on the Time Life (Treasures 53 ? 58) CD and the bootlegs ?Totally Stung? and ?Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Memory)?. The Master is supposed to be Take 7 but this take has no part of the Master on it. So now another mystery, what is the Master take?

Lawdy Miss Clawdy ? Takes 11 & 12
    We?ve had this complete session released over various bootlegs and official releases, but it?s the first official release of these two takes.

Shake Rattle & Roll ? Takes 3, 5, 6 & 7
    Again, we?ve also had this complete session released over various bootlegs and official releases (Take 4 was not announced) but it?s the first time these takes have been officially released.

I Want You I Need You I Love You ? Take 3
    We?ve had this take before on the bootleg ?When All Was Kool?, but this is its first official release. Other takes we?ve had from this session from BMG are:
    Take 4 (?Platinum?) also on the bootlegs ?When All Was Kool?, ?Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Memory)?, ?I Beg Of You?, and ?There?s Always Him?.
    Take 13 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever?).
    Take 14 (?A Legendary Performer Vol 2? ? Vinyl & CD ? 1989 Canadian 10 Track CD) also on the bootlegs ?Totally Stung?, ?I Beg Of You? and ?There?s Always Him?.
    Take 16 (?50?s Box CD5?) also on the bootlegs ?Totally Stung?, ?I Beg Of You? and ?There?s Always Him?.
    The Master is spliced from takes 14 & 17.

Rip It Up ? Takes 10, 11, 12 & 16
    We now have all takes of this song from Take 10 to 16 only released officially by BMG. We got Takes 13 & 14 on ?Today Tomorrow & Forever? (only listed as Take 14) and Take 15 was on ?Platinum?.
    The Master is Take 19.

Loving You (Slow) ? Takes 2 & 3
    The complete session from February 14 1957 has been released on the bootleg ?The Complete Loving You Session?. We?ve had Takes 1 & 10 from BMG on ?Essential Elvis Vol 1?, Take 12 (Master) was on the ?50?s Box CD5? and we?ve also had this Take 3 on ?Today Tomorrow & Forever? but it was wrongly stated to be Take 6 on that release. Take 2, which is a short False Start is released here officially for the first time.

I Need Your Love Tonight ? Takes 12 & 13
    This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Master Box Vol 1? and various others too. Takes already released by BMG are:
    Take 2 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
    Take 4 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever?)
    Take 5 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
    Take 7 (?Platinum?)
    Take 9 (?Don?t Be Cruel? ? 1992 CD Single 74321 11061 2)
    Take 10 ? A (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
    Take 18 ? Master (?50?s Box CD4? & ?Gold Records Vol 2)

A Big Hunk O? Love ? Take 2
    All four takes of this song have now been released of this song officially with this release. The other takes can be found:
    Take 1 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
    Take 3 (?50?s Box CD4?, ?30 Number Ones? & ?24 Karat Hits? ? with count-in)
    Take 4 (?Platinum?)
    The Master is spliced from takes 3 & 4 and can be found on the BMG CD ?All Time Greatest Hits?

Ain?t That Loving You Baby ? Take 8
    We?ve only had two other out takes from this session released officially, Take 1 can be found on ?Essential Elvis Vol 3? and Take 11 can be found on ?50?s Box CD5?. The complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Masters Box 1?

A Fool Such As I ? Takes 4 & 5
    We?ve had Take 3 released before by BMG (on ?Essential Elvis Vol 3?) along with Take 8 (?Thirty Number Ones? ? ?E1?) and the Master (Take 9), but the complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Masters Box 1?

I Got Stung ? Takes 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
    We?ve only had takes 12, 14 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?), and 16 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever?) released before by BMG along with the Master (Take 24), but the complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Masters Box 1?

That?s When Your Heartaches Begin ? Take 1 (Binaural)
    We?ve only had takes 2 (?Close Up?), 4, 5 and 6 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?) released before by BMG, but the complete session can be found (between them) on the bootlegs ?Stereo ?57?, ?I Beg Of You? and ?There?s Always Him?.

It Is No Secret ? Take 5 (Binaural)
    This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 1, 2 & 3 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?), take 13 (?Close Up?).
    It?s also interesting to note that on the FTD release ?Easter Special? it?s listed as Take 12 of this song, but it?s actually the same take as we get here (Take 5) so this HAS already been released officially.

Blueberry Hill ? Take 3 (Binaural)
    This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 2 & 7 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?) and Take 9 (?Close Up?).

Have I Told You Lately That I Love You ? Takes 6 & 7 (Binaural)
    This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 2, 6, 12 & 13 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?) and Take 15 ? Master (?Close Up?).
    Note that we?ve already had Take 6 officially released.

Is It So Strange ? Takes 8 & 9 (Binaural)
    This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 1, 7 & 11 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?), Take 10 (Today Tomorrow & Forever? - Mono only) and Take 12 ? Master (?Close Up?).

Loving You (Main Title Version) ? Takes 6 & 12 (Binaural)
    The complete session from February 14 1957 has been released (in mono) on the bootleg ?The Complete Loving You Session? (Take 16 is only on the vinyl version). We?ve had Takes 1, 8, 20 & 21 (?Essential Elvis Vol 1? - Mono), Take 3 (?La Legende? ? Mono), Takes 5 & 15 (?Close Up? ? Binaural), Take 13 (?50?s Box CD5? ? Mono) and Take 14 (?Sliver Screen Stereo? ? Binaural) released by BMG. Takes 6 & 12 are released here officially for the first time here.

Treat Me Nice (2003) ? Takes 1, 2 & 3 (Binaural)
    It?s great to finally hear this totally different arrangement of this song and also to hear how the song starts out originally, at long last. We got the Master of this version, also in Binaural, from BMG on ?Close Up?. No other out takes of this session have been released in any form.

Young And Beautiful (2004) ? Take 6 (Binaural)
    From this session we?ve had takes 4, 5 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever? - Mono), 21, 22 (?Close Up? ? Binaural) and the spliced Master (spliced from takes 8, 12, 18 & 22)(?Essential Elvis Vol 1 ? Mono (with studio talk from Take 12) released officially until now by BMG. We also got takes 18 & 19 on the vinyl bootleg ?The Jailhouse Rock Sessions? (Mono) which has never been released on CD.

I Want To Be Free (2009) ? Take 11 (Binaural)
    From this session we?ve only had takes 3, 4 (Today Tomorrow & Forever ? Mono) and 12 (?Close Up? ? Binaural) released before by BMG, and nothing on bootleg. The Master is spliced from takes 10, 12 & 13 and can be found on BMG?s ?Jailhouse Rock / Love Me Tender? soundtrack CD from 1997. The same Master was released wrongly as Take 10 on the ?50?s Box CD5? and was also dated incorrectly (April 30 1957) on there too.

Don?t Leave Me Now ? Takes 7 & 8 (Binaural)
    We?ve had takes 16, 17, 18 (Master)(?Silver Screen Stereo? - Binaural) and Take 21 (?Close Up? ? Binaural) released by BMG up to now. We also got takes 18 & 21 on the vinyl bootleg ?The Jailhouse Rock Sessions? (Mono) which has never been released on CD.

Keith

TCB Mafia
    WOW...fantastic work Keith...very imformative..Thanks for posting this, it is excellent
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

I think i'll get this release for my birthday (h)

Quote Originally Posted by WildStyle
    I think i'll get this release for my birthday (h)
    Hope you get it, because it is great, I really love this one. The sound is great and so many nice outtakes and the book is superb

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider
    WOW...fantastic work Keith...very imformative..Thanks for posting this, it is excellent
    I second that

After reading all this info..just love to have this cd but..the price is a little to high for me, i have the ttwii book with cd, found the price to high also but i got this as a present for my birthday. And there is not a change that i get this release, allready got the latest dvd's (comeback and aloha)..
    but you can't have them all..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    After reading all this info..just love to have this cd but..the price is a little to high for me, i have the ttwii book with cd, found the price to high also but i got this as a present for my birthday. And there is not a change that i get this release, allready got the latest dvd's (comeback and aloha)..
    but you can't have them all..
    No...Patrick...you gotta have it all mate Get a loan....rob a bank...whatever it takes

I know how hard it can be....i was in the same boat a few years ago...and its a real stinker when you can't get new stuff. I am fortunate enough to be able to now...but i know what you are saying my friend
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Yes Nightrider and sometimes it's frustrating. But i can't buy all the new releases anymore, i have to make some choices and most of the time i go for the release that's the best for me. And i have a wife and 2 kids to support..thats more important than a new release...
    And ? 72,- for a book with cd is to much for us. So i have to do it with the 1 minut samples on this forum.
    As i said you can have them all.

Don't worry Patrick. I'll be 80 before I can get all the FTD's (i'm 18 now). Somebody want to lend me a few thousand dollars?

Once again,many thanks keith (h)

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Awesome work, Keith!

Patrick, WildStyle, I can relate.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

this is the best release ftd has done ever.
    i can listen to 50s sessions all day.
    this is elvis caring about his recordings not just doing a half *** job like in the 1973-1977.
    i wish ftd would release all the binaural sessions on cd.
    why not release a loving you soundtrack on ftd will lots of unreleased takes?
    i'd buy it over any soundboard. :worthy: to ernst on this release of flashback.
    these are better than any live show period.
    more binaural takes ernst over boring soundboards.

Backstage Pass
    I am still reeling for the price I paid but the cd is great and the book is nice to have...but still the price paid is just too much. I still do not have the "That's The Way It Was" book and cd. But I am a sucker for the 1950's so I splurged and did without other releases to have this one. I still see no reason for the cost of this particular set even though the book is really nice. The cd should be offered without the book just so some could afford one of the other of their preference.

That's a great review, and what a great release stand out for me where the Treat me Nice outakes can't wait for more from these sessions

I have this book in my collection.I haven't played the cd that comes with the book.Don't know if I want to or not.The book itself is FABULOUS!!! A must have for any Elvis fan.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

Great,essential release.

Re: FTD 35 - Flashback

Excellent review Great book and great CD. I got it as a christmas present. That's the only for me to have it because it's really expensive !!
    "Gossip is small words from small minds" Elvis Presley

Re: Flashback (Book + CD)

elvis picers?

Cadillac King

Re: Flashback (Book + CD)

A great release from FTD, IMHO. I really enjoy the music and the book. Elvis in the '50s: it just doesn't get any better.

IM