Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Elvis Would Have Recorded With Other Artists?

Do You Think Elvis Would Have Recorded With Other Artists?

This is kind of a hypothetical question, but if Elvis hadn't passed away in 1977 do you think he would have recorded with other artists? As you can tell by my username, I am a big Paul McCartney fan so I think it would have been cool if Paul and Elvis had recorded some songs together for an album. I think Elvis was close to cleaning up and getting rid of the bad people around him. So when asking this I am taking in to account that he would be fairly clean,(I think he would have always had to take some medications due to some of his illnesses.) and people like Colonel Parker wouldn't be standing in the way. So I hope these questions makes sense.

1. Do you think Elvis would have recorded with other artists?
    2. Do you think Elvis would have wanted to record with other artists?
    3. What artists do you think Elvis would have recorded with?

It's just as you yourself already said: this is hypothetical and so is the answer.
    However I do think teaming up with Sir Paul McCartney would have shook up the music industry. I understood that Paul & John always had the wish to write for Elvis. Another possibility is Tom Jones. They have attended eachother's parties and did sing along together several times so they knew eachother's capacilities.
    And if Elvis would have had the role in "A Star is Born" a duet with Barbra Streisand would also have been a possibility.

I think it wasn't so much Elvis' refusal to record with other artists, but the colonel's. He simply didn't want to share "his" royalities with someone else.

International Level

Cool

Have to agree. The Colonel woulden't share anything, he found it difficult enough to give Elvis his share, though towards the end he was making more than the King.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Cadillac King

Elvis with an other artist??

yes..I think so, remember the Neil Sadaka/Elton John hit ``bad love`` in the midle of the 70`s? At that time, the story was that Sedaka (RCA artist) at that time, probably ask the Elvis management to do the duo together but the Colonel..hum like always..the anwers was no! (if I can put my hand on an old article from a news paper from 1976 (decmber I think) there`s a lot of Elvis news about projects that never happened. have a nice day, bogarcon

Well this would probalby sound bad, but in the 80's and 90's all the leftovers of the once icons of the 50's and 60's made records and concerts together just for the sake of survival, so if it is in that way, better if he just retire himself to age with dignity.

Elvis wanted to record with his long time good friend the goodfather of Soul (or whatever hes called) Mrs Jame Brown back in 71', if all the bussines crap didnt happend, well that would have been a must.

About people that would have killed to work with Elvis, well almost all of the 60's british rock icons, some colabotarions could have been great back in the 70's or even in the 60's, great days; but in the eighties, they all went "down the nick", maybe in the 90's when some of them get themselfs together to do some more or less decent music again, a collaboration with Elvis if still alive could have been great, in that hipotetical field, I would have love to see Elvis doing something with Neil Young and BOb Dylan.

one of the finest singers in the world, man!

I think a co-operation with Roy Orbison would have been lovely - they both had qualities and they could have completed each other from an artistic point of view. I guess that this wasn't possible because of some interests...

And working with Johnny Cash could have been magnificent! Or how about Roy Hamilton?

I just wish I could co-operate with Billy Gilman; it's not just a matter of melting - there's musical and spiritual potential out there as well! Crying

Enigmatic Sun, I know you are free to think whatever you want to think and speak your mind out but a... I dont want to hear anything more from Billy Gilman ok? that cat is horrible anyway you look at it.

On the other hand youa re right about something, many of us when we think about which people would have been cool to see them workin with Elvis, well we tend to think about people that admired Elvis and one way or another people we admire ourselves, for example when I said Neil Young or Bob Dylan it was not just the fact that both are true and declared Elvis fans but it was the fact that I like them almost as much as Elvis.

Yes Elvis dig Bob Dylan, and Dylan dig Elvis, and they are both raised in the same musical melt pot so something amazing could have happened if both of them decided to do something together, same with Young but probably Elvis would have never take any iniciative to work with them, true that the Colonel interfered on that alot, but Elvis was also an introverted guy, or in other words, he liked to be on his own.

So when you talked about Hamilton I tought yeah maybe thats something that Elvis would really liked, to work with people that that more than anything he admired and influenced him, people like Hamilton, or Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Wilson Picket, Aretha Fanklin, Mahalia Jackson, or all the geat memphis bluesmans, or even Dean Martin... maybe, or maybe not, a... but a, what was my point? I forget what I wanted to say, what was all this talking of mine about?

Anyway just kidding with the Billy (the castrated enuc) Gillman, If that makes you happy go ahead, so dont take it bad and dont write me back to give me any lesson of compasion or chinesse medicine or Sonny will delete us away again.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 12-13-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Elvis recording with another artist?... I guess Ray Charles or Dean Martin would have been nice options, but Paul M or the Beatl... NO WAY!!!!!!! (definitively).
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I think he would have been open to the Memphis reunion of the Sun Record artists in the (late 80's early 90,s .. can't remember) where Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins got together and recorded. I think he like those guys. Maybe different gospel groups and country artists.( since he was sort of going that way) It would have been cool to hear him with one of the top female country artists, but then again also cool with someone like Fiona Apple. So, who knows?
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

I'm glad to see so many resposnes. I don't know, I had this perfect question in my head but when i typed it out it probably made less sense. The main question was to see who everyone would have liked to see Elvis record with, so I am glad people could understand it, lol. It is cool to see everyones opinon on who they would have liked to see, so keep em' coming!

If the Col. were still alive I think not. IF he had died or been fired I think Elvis might have considered it with people he was comfortable with. He enjoyed jamming with talented people the next step up from that would be recording it.

I don't think Elvis would have done that. Why should he. He was the BEST, he didn't need anybody else to sing with. I can't even imagine that somebody trying to keep up with him!

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quartet!

Hello dear folks on TCB-world!

This sure is a lively discussion; it's very nice to think about what artists Elvis would have liked to make music with.

I think that you are not completely right, Tommy - Elvis was The King, but he really liked to sing with people such as: Sherril Nielsen, JD Sumner and The Stamps.. It wasn't so that Elvis always wanted to be 'the solo artist' - he also enjoyed being part of a quartet. It could have been a kind of an inspiration to sing with other artists, but sady some interests made this impossible.

I remember Elvis sang with James Brown.. Here's what James said:

“I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang Old Blind Barnabus together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There’ll never be another like that soul brother."
    -James Brown-

Seems to me that Elvis was really involved with the spiritual side of life & music!

How about the Blackwood Brothers? Elvis really liked this kind of music. I guess gospel music was so important to him; both black and white styles.

I also like Mahalia Jackson; I think she beats the Supremes and The Sweet Inspirations, because she had the ability to sing soft parts as well; she was such a sweet lady.

I am not really sorry, Raised On Rock - I won't go into Billy G. details any further because this is an Elvis-forum (male beauty is to be found on the off-topic section).

Just remember that Elvis was fond of 'the castrated enuc' sound, because he really liked to sing with Sherril Nielsen. It is also paradoxical to say that 'I am free to think whatever I want to think and speak my mind out', while commanding me not to say anything.

Taste is relative and something personal; some people dislike Sherril Nielsen, while Elvis really enjoyed singing duets with this man! Please respect my taste as I always respect your preference for vacuum cleaner-man 'Bob Dylan' - Elvis liked his songs, but not his voice - he listened to versions of Bob's songs done by other artists, because Dylan's voice was to abrasive for Elvis' ears.

He didn't say for nothing 'feels like Bob Dylan slept in my mouth' when he had a dry throat.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 12-14-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Haha... I was only teasing you, why you always react so defensive, you can daydream all that you want with that guy, just remember hes under 18 just joking again, dont give me a speech about all diferent sorts of ways to say you like someone, mama... just cool it man, I acctually agree with you a lot on your toughts and enjoy reading the stuff you post, lm totaly with you with the need of loving kindes and all that homosexual buddhist crap (joking again), what Im trying to say is just one thing cool it down, have a laught at your selfe, I love you so much.

P.S. Just to make clear that I dont think at all that buddhism is related with crap and homosexuality, and I actually respect buddhism as much as I respect my own culture wisdom, I do think to that there is a lot o that we can learn from western philosophy and religions, on a sad note, no Im not related with Orthodox or unorthodox eastern or roman Catholicims, yet I do respect that ideology or cosmology due that I was Raised on that point of view, well Im releated then god dam. I do also want to note that I dont have anything against homosexuality and all the above writen was nothinmore than my crapy humor sense. I also like to ad tha I have nothign against the opinions of the Enigmatic Sun posts and use of his freedom of speech and that in fact I do agree with much of what he say even if it is off topic. At last I want to underline that tHe Gillman thing was nothing but a hound dog, a.. I mean nothing but a joke with no intentions to hurt nobody. I do apologize for all the inconvenience.

Waiting for being deleted and with all reason, telling you I do suport the casue of myself being removed from this thread:

Yours: Raised On ROck.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 12-14-2005 at 07:53 PM.

defensive

Raised On Rock, I am defensive because I think you're rude. If you just would have said something like 'this is an Elvis forum, so post Billy G. subjects on the off-topic section' I would have been able to understand.

Why do you think it's homosexual buddhist crap? Don't you realize I do know something about buddhism, but that I am in fact part of Orthodox Eastern Catholicism? Besides, the words of Buddha and the Christ are for men ?nd women..

Please excuse me, moderators. I really didn't want to go off-topic, but I felt the need to answer Raised On Rock.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwithbrokenhearts
    I think he would have been open to the Memphis reunion of the Sun Record artists in the (late 80's early 90,s .. can't remember) where Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins got together and recorded. I think he like those guys. Maybe different gospel groups and country artists.( since he was sort of going that way) It would have been cool to hear him with one of the top female country artists, but then again also cool with someone like Fiona Apple. So, who knows?
    that`s when they recorded the album and project called ``CLASS OF `55. tHAT WAS A GREAT ALBUM AND ROCK ON! have a nice day, bogarcon

Remember Elvis' piano player from the late 70's, his name is Tony Brown. He played with Elvis on the Jungle Room Sessions. These days he's a producer for alot of todays country stars such as George Strait. I wonder how he would have produced Elvis?
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

International Level

Cool

A lot better than Felton towards the end. He should of changed the whole lot, and got rid of those publishing deals with Hill & Range which the Colonel so aptly arranged.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

After I answered a query on another thread, I knew I wanted to ask about Elvis doing a duet. I know producing duets are the popular thing to do these days, then I found this old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by maccafan1985 View Post
    if Elvis hadn't passed away in 1977 do you think he would have recorded with other artists?
    I think it would have been cool if Paul and Elvis had recorded some songs together for an album. and people like Colonel Parker wouldn't be standing in the way.
    1. Do you think Elvis would have recorded with other artists?
    2. Do you think Elvis would have wanted to record with other artists?
    3. What artists do you think Elvis would have recorded with?

1. Yes, I think Elvis would have loved to have recorded with other artists.
    He sang duets with his friends all the time and was content to be a
    backup provided those singing could sing! Elvis was a very Humble
    man!
    2. This I don't know, I can only guess, and refer you to answer in #1.
    3. Frank Sinatra, again, Dean Martin, of whom he was a great admirer. He did speak to Barbra Streisand about the movie, so he had to have been willing to sing with her, but that wouldn't be my first choice, I'd want to hear him with Mahalia Jackson, and would love to see him with Pearl Bailey because of her fantastic sense of humor, and Roy Orbison!

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast