Thread: The Impossible Dream

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

The Impossible Dream

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftd32.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	12948

Live in: Las Vegas, NV. - January 28, 1971 (dinner show)

Tracklist: (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

01: Also Sprach Zarathustra
    02: That's All Right
    03: You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
    04: Love Me Tender
    05: Sweet Caroline
    06: You've Lost That Loving Feeling
    07: Polk Salad Annie
    08: Introductions
    09: Johnny B. Goode
    10: Introductions
    11: Something
    12: Release Me
    13: Blue Suede Shoes
    14: Hound Dog
    15: It's Now Or Never
    16: Suspicious Minds
    17: The Impossible Dream
    18: Mystery Train/Tiger Man
    19: There Goes My Everything
    20: Make The World Go Away
    21: Love Me
    22: Only Believe
    23: How Great Thou Art
    24: Snowbird
    25: Can't Help Falling In Love

Tracks 1, 2, 9 & 25 - recorded live in Las Vegas, NV. on January 26, 1971 at the opening show
    Tracks 18-23 - recorded live in Las Vegas, NV. on January 27, 1971 at the midnight show
    Track 24 - recorded live in Las Vegas, NV. on January 29, 1971 at the dinner show

Reviews:
    Marc Haegeman
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 02-10-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    "Interesting concert from a little known period"
    Reviewed by Marc Haegeman

Of the final years of Elvis Presley as a concert artist, 1971 is undoubtedly the least well documented year. After the delectable abundance of the previous year with the "On Stage" and especially the "That's The Way It Is" sound and video recordings, 1971 remains a dark hole.

RCA didn?t record any concerts that year and the few bootlegs which surfaced are all below standard with disagreeable sound. The present Follow That Dream release, compiling performances from Elvis' 4th Las Vegas season in January 1971, is by all means a most welcome addition to the catalogue.

True, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired with tons of tape hiss, but is nonetheless better than anything we got from this season so far and considered within its historical context, this disc deserves to be heard by anyone interested in the man and how he developed during the 70's.

By its rush tempo the general atmosphere of the concert is quite different from the previous Las Vegas seasons, but Elvis is in fine voice and in good spirits throughout, often sounding raw and risky (although the recording might be partly responsible for that) and this issue includes several songs which were rarely performed in concert, such as "It's Now Or Never", "Only Believe" and "Snowbird".

? May 2004, Marc Haegeman

Roustabouts

When the boredom started...

Elvis seems to be bored with a lot of his songs. Every tune seems to be shortened or at least a bit rushed. But there's also some fun and some songs are done very well. But although not everything was as good as it used to be, it's still a nice addition to everyones collection, because the show containes some rarely performed songs.

Backstage Pass
    I absolute love it. They should release more shows from 1971.
    It is really an interresting time period. Give us MORE.

Last edited by Glenn; 10-24-2005 at 05:46 AM.

The band did a very good job on Also Sprach Zaratustra it was thare first time doin' it!

Review of The Impossible Dream

The Impossible Review

The Artwork-It is nice to have some clear, crisp pictures of Elvis from '71. I liked the original title better then the one given now. The original title was "The Man with the Golden Belt" speaks more then The Impossible Dream.

The Sound-Alot better then released on those imports which we hate seeing. Some songs have a bit of drops in them, but hey they are rare from a rare time. So i am not complaining.

The Songs

I am just going to hit the highlights of this CD. It has been said earlier that the songs are rushed a bit more then usual, but then again if as the years go by they seem to be faster then each year before.

2001 Theme/That's All Right-First time with this intro. Nicely done and Elvis seems not so sure when to come in, but he does it anyways.

Sweet Caroline-Funny to hear even after a year of doing this song that Elvis still makes mistakes. Remember he now has the Stamps backing him now since the Imperials are now gone.

Polk Salad Annie-Always sounds good and Elvis doesnt seem bored with this song. Keeps '70's version in check with the energy he puts out with this one.

It's Now or Never-A rarely performed song, which wasnt played at all during his engagements before. Nice to have an earlier version.

Suspicious Minds-Always a good song but not with the same force as before in That's the Way It Is.

The Impossible Dream-With a new opener Elvis ends the conert with a new closer. Good and powerful ending which leave us wanting more. Good for us there is more.

The Added Bonuses

Only Believe-Nothing great about this song except, Elvis did not perform it any more then this as far as we know. So very rare.

How Great Thou Art-Earliest known performance of an awesome gospel song. Elvis shows us why he got that grammy.

Snowbird-Nothing great about this song except, Elvis did not perform this song anymore than we know of. It is cool to hear Elvis conducting the band on how to play the song which is really sweet to hear.

Can't Help Falling in Love-In my opinion, I would of left this song out. He does a good job dont get me wrong, it's just that at the end we feel that the CD is over like a regular concert normally was.

A good show during a rare time which is always nice to have.
    So a rare concert, during a rare time, with some very rare songs, and so it is a must have CD. Great job FTD, how about somemore RARE recordings like those from Ashville in '75. hint hint

Keep them coming

Rockin

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    What a great concert this is from '71..have it playing in the cdplayer as we speak..good sound, great setlist imo!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Kind of funny...the sample for HGTA is just him talking, including him relating to the audience that people backstage ask him, "What are you on? What are you takin'?" And he tells them he just enjoys what he's doing.

Funny that it's the sample for a gospel song...less funny is the truth of the matter.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Rare Concert, Rare Period, And That's About It

Don't get me wrong, this is a good show, it just doesn't match the greatness of August 1970. If I was in charge of this release, I probably would have done Boston (11/10/71) instead, or, if I had to stick to this Vegas season, I'd do (2/19/71).
    For the very first time, the 2001 theme is used as an opening, before jumping into a very energetic "That's All Right," with Elvis even goofing up a bit, starting "Well, that's all right, baby." You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" is one of the better versions I've heard, but not much happens during "Love Me Tender." "Sweet Caroline" is great, as always, despite the joking stop after a few lines. However, Elvis cuts "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" short just as you start to get into the song. "Polk Salad Annie" is very similar to the MSG or the EOT versions, but he gets the verses mixed up, going straight from the first verse to "Her daddy wasn't lazy on no count." A powerful "Johnny B. Goode" follow, featuring James Burton, and probably the best version I've heard. "Something" sounds similar to the 1970 versions and "Release Me" is a great treat. "Blue Suede Shoes" is even shorter than laater versions, but Hound Dog is like the TTWII version. Somewhere in there, he does a few lines of "Love Me," but cuts that short as well. (I believe after "Release Me," but I'm not entirely sure. Performed for the first time since Closing Night of February 1970, Elvis sings "It's Now Or Never." "Suspicious Minds" is about a typical 1974 length, yet "The Impossible Dream" is soo a better closer than "Can't Help Falling In Love." In all, the actual concert lasts just 40 minutes. "Mystery Train/ Tiger Man" is great, but again shortened. "There Goes My Everything" and "Make The World Go Away" are even better than in TTWII. "Love Me" is standard, and "Only Believe" is rare, but that's about it. "How Great Thou Art" is emotional, but I'd leave the joking out. "Snowbird" is a great song, pity he didn't do it more often. "Can't Help Falling In Love," though performed mid-show, has nothing special to it.
    Overall: Worth getting, just don't expect the best performance of all time.

I love it!!!!!!!

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Re: Rare Concert, Rare Period, And That's About It

Quote Originally Posted by elvispresleytheking View Post
    Don't get me wrong, this is a good show, it just doesn't match the greatness of August 1970. If I was in charge of this release, I probably would have done Boston (11/10/71) instead, or, if I had to stick to this Vegas season, I'd do (2/19/71).
    For the very first time, the 2001 theme is used as an opening, before jumping into a very energetic "That's All Right," with Elvis even goofing up a bit, starting "Well, that's all right, baby." You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" is one of the better versions I've heard, but not much happens during "Love Me Tender." "Sweet Caroline" is great, as always, despite the joking stop after a few lines. However, Elvis cuts "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" short just as you start to get into the song. "Polk Salad Annie" is very similar to the MSG or the EOT versions, but he gets the verses mixed up, going straight from the first verse to "Her daddy wasn't lazy on no count." A powerful "Johnny B. Goode" follow, featuring James Burton, and probably the best version I've heard. "Something" sounds similar to the 1970 versions and "Release Me" is a great treat. "Blue Suede Shoes" is even shorter than laater versions, but Hound Dog is like the TTWII version. Somewhere in there, he does a few lines of "Love Me," but cuts that short as well. (I believe after "Release Me," but I'm not entirely sure. Performed for the first time since Closing Night of February 1970, Elvis sings "It's Now Or Never." "Suspicious Minds" is about a typical 1974 length, yet "The Impossible Dream" is soo a better closer than "Can't Help Falling In Love." In all, the actual concert lasts just 40 minutes. "Mystery Train/ Tiger Man" is great, but again shortened. "There Goes My Everything" and "Make The World Go Away" are even better than in TTWII. "Love Me" is standard, and "Only Believe" is rare, but that's about it. "How Great Thou Art" is emotional, but I'd leave the joking out. "Snowbird" is a great song, pity he didn't do it more often. "Can't Help Falling In Love," though performed mid-show, has nothing special to it.
    Overall: Worth getting, just don't expect the best performance of all time.
    Forgot to add that I love the Imperial's solo during "Impossible Dream"