01: Also Sprach Zarathustra
    02: See See Rider
    03: I Got A Woman/Amen
    04: Help Me Make It Through The Night
    05: Steamroller Blues
    06: You Gave Me A Mountain
    07: Love Me
    08: Blue Suede Shoes
    09: Medley: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Your Mama Don't Dance/Shake, Rattle And Roll
    10: My Way
    11: Hound Dog
    12: What Now My Love
    13: Suspicious Minds
    14: Introductions
    15: I'll Remember You
    16: I Can't Stop Loving You
    17: Bridge Over Troubled Water
    18: Funny How Time Slips Away
    19: It's Over
    20: Release Me
    21: Faded Love
    22: Can't Help Falling In Love
    23: I'm Leavin'
    24: A Big Hunk O'Love

Tracks 23 & 24 - recorded live in Lake Tahoe on May 13, 1973 at the midnight show

Reviews:
    ColinB
    Rockinrebel
    See See Rider
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 02-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    "Interesting but not essential"
    reviewed by ColinB

Guess this comes under the 'interesting but not essential' category !

A mono soundboard, there is a bit of mic overload present on a couple of tracks. Being a soundboard, the audience reaction is mostly missing. This seems strange at times, like on the introductions, when it sounds like there is a solitary person applauding !

Good selection of songs from this post-Aloha period, but nothing really outstanding.

'Amen' gets the obligatory 'airplane' reprise. 'My Way' has the solo violin featured even more than in 'Aloha', Elvis slurs his words on one line when he forgets the lyric. 'Hound Dog' has the slow start but is all over in a minute. A bit of unusual vocalising on 'Suspicious Minds'.

The beautiful song: 'Ill Remember You' is kinda spoiled by Elvis making comments, changing the words & finally starting to laugh.

After 'Its Over' and without a pause, Elvis launches into 'Release Me' in too high a key, and abandons things after 30 seconds, quickly going into 'Faded Love', which starts at a galloping pace, with Elvis commenting: "It's too fast !". There is a surprise after 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', when Elvis does a 1:14 reprise from the 'Sail on silver, girl' bit onward.

Perhaps the best bit of the whole CD is one of the 'bonus songs': a beautiful and rare rendition of 'Im Leavin' from the midnight show.

Overall an interesting listen, but an essential buy for completists only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Elvis wasn?t working to a rigid set list"
    reviewed by Rockinrebel

Years ago I used to buy audience recordings of live shows, and it was normally shows such as this one which included the odd rare performance and a bit of humour from Elvis that made this aspect of collecting worthwhile. Back then I would never have believed that one day I would be listening to shows like this recorded directly from the soundboard, but thanks to FTD all things are possible.

As most of you will already know this show was recorded during an extra 3 am show at the High Sierra Theatre in Lake Tahoe, Nevada on May 13, 1973, and the mono soundboard recording presented on this release is very good in terms of sound quality.

Following the Aloha show, Elvis quickly settled back in to the routine of playing Las Vegas and touring, and by the time he arrived in Tahoe, another Las Vegas season and a seven date April tour had already been completed. He really needed a new challenge, and his performance level generally was not comparable to the first two years of his return to live performances. However, he was still quite capable of performing good shows, and for majority of his shows from this period he also seemed to be enjoying entertaining the public.

This performance showcases Elvis in good spirits, but the now familiar opening numbers ?See See Rider? and the ?I Got a Woman/Amen? medley are performed without any real energy. Elvis then offers the first real surprise of the evening, a cover of Kris Kristofferson?s ?Help Me Make It through the Night?, and whilst he does fool around with the song in places, we do start to hear a little more vocal power during this performance.

A strong version of James Taylor?s ?Steamroller Blues? follows, along with another solid performance on the Marty Robbins? hit ?You Gave Me a Mountain?. Both songs had been high points of the recent ?Aloha? special, and Elvis does them justice again here.

Crowd pleasing oldies follow with Elvis joking his way through his 1956 hit ?Love Me? and offering a rather uninspired run through ?Blue Suede Shoes?. This is followed by the rock medley that was used with differing song combinations during 1973 and 1974. Here ?Long Tall Sally? and ?Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin? On? are coupled with brief snippets of ?Mama Don?t Dance? and ?Shake Rattle and Roll?.

Another song from the ?Aloha? special ?My Way? is next. The same arrangement that was used during the Hawaiian concert, which personally I prefer to the later tour arrangements, is used here, but the vocals are not quite as polished.

Elvis follows this with the slow blues version of ?Hound Dog? that he had introduced into his stage act the previous year. The vocals are a little too laid back here, but James Burton?s guitar playing makes the performance worthwhile.

It?s back to the ?Aloha? set list for ?What Now My Love? with Elvis getting more into the song as it progresses and finishing it well. An average ?Suspicious Minds? follows, before Elvis mentions the TV Special and chooses another song associated with the show, Kui Lee?s Hawaiian ballad, ?I?ll Remember You?. There?s a one liner of ?Alfie? at the start, and later Elvis jokes ?the sun?s coming up?, and laughs his way through the latter part of the song.

A powerful ?I Can?t Stop Loving You? follows, and Elvis stays focused during the next song, ?Bridge Over Troubled Water?, which whilst not as well rehearsed as some of the earlier versions, features strong vocals, with the reprise at the end indicating that Elvis was enjoying the performance.

Elvis then tells the band to start ?The Impossible Dream?, but nobody seems to know it, so he suggests ?For the Good Times? instead. Again there is no response, so the concert mainstay ?Funny How Time Slips Away? is performed as an alternative.

Elvis suggests ?The Impossible Dream? again, and gives the band a cue this time, but the song still doesn?t materialise, so another song from the ?Aloha? special, ?It?s over?, is given a good performance. Elvis then tries ?Release Me?, but this simply doesn?t work, so he quickly offers the concert rarity ?Faded Love? as an alternative, and after a quick tempo change at the beginning he gives a good impromptu performance which also features some good guitar work from James Burton.

The show the closes with the customary ?Can?t Help Falling In Love?, and as bonus material we are given a good performance of ?I?m Leavin??, and an attempt at ?A Big Hunk O? Love? which apart from a vocal mix up in the middle is also a fairly good performance. Both of the bonus songs were taken from the midnight show on the same day.

In summing up, I found this show quite enjoyable. There are a few mistakes, and the show may sound under rehearsed in places, but Elvis seems to be enjoying himself and this comes across in the performance. The humour is good natured, and it isn?t really surprising that Elvis was a little laid back, considering the show time.

It was also refreshing to hear that Elvis wasn?t working to a rigid set list, and it was nice to hear him suggest songs as the mood took him rather than wait for a cue as to what to sing next. This might have resulted in some songs not being quite as polished as they could have been, but it does make for a more interesting performance.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    "If you still think this is his worst live album, it really isn't"
    Reviewed by See See Rider

Years ago I used to buy audience recordings of live shows, and it was normally shows such as this one which included the odd rare performance and a bit of humour from Elvis that made this aspect of collecting worthwhile. Back then I would never have believed that one day I would be listening to shows like this recorded directly from the soundboard, but thanks to FTD all things are possible.

As most of you will already know this show was recorded during an extra 3 am show at the High Sierra Theatre in Lake Tahoe, Nevada on May 13, 1973, and the mono soundboard recording presented on this release is very good in terms of sound quality.

Following the Aloha show, Elvis quickly settled back in to the routine of playing Las Vegas and touring, and by the time he arrived in Tahoe, another Las Vegas season and a seven date April tour had already been completed. He really needed a new challenge, and his performance level generally was not comparable to the first two years of his return to live performances. However, he was still quite capable of performing good shows, and for majority of his shows from this period he also seemed to be enjoying entertaining the public.

This performance showcases Elvis in good spirits, but the now familiar opening numbers ?See See Rider? and the ?I Got a Woman/Amen? medley are performed without any real energy. Elvis then offers the first real surprise of the evening, a cover of Kris Kristofferson?s ?Help Me Make It through the Night?, and whilst he does fool around with the song in places, we do start to hear a little more vocal power during this performance.

A strong version of James Taylor?s ?Steamroller Blues? follows, along with another solid performance on the Marty Robbins? hit ?You Gave Me a Mountain?. Both songs had been high points of the recent ?Aloha? special, and Elvis does them justice again here.

Crowd pleasing oldies follow with Elvis joking his way through his 1956 hit ?Love Me? and offering a rather uninspired run through ?Blue Suede Shoes?. This is followed by the rock medley that was used with differing song combinations during 1973 and 1974. Here ?Long Tall Sally? and ?Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin? On? are coupled with brief snippets of ?Mama Don?t Dance? and ?Shake Rattle and Roll?.

Another song from the ?Aloha? special ?My Way? is next. The same arrangement that was used during the Hawaiian concert, which personally I prefer to the later tour arrangements, is used here, but the vocals are not quite as polished.

Elvis follows this with the slow blues version of ?Hound Dog? that he had introduced into his stage act the previous year. The vocals are a little too laid back here, but James Burton?s guitar playing makes the performance worthwhile.

It?s back to the ?Aloha? set list for ?What Now My Love? with Elvis getting more into the song as it progresses and finishing it well. An average ?Suspicious Minds? follows, before Elvis mentions the TV Special and chooses another song associated with the show, Kui Lee?s Hawaiian ballad, ?I?ll Remember You?. There?s a one liner of ?Alfie? at the start, and later Elvis jokes ?the sun?s coming up?, and laughs his way through the latter part of the song.

A powerful ?I Can?t Stop Loving You? follows, and Elvis stays focused during the next song, ?Bridge Over Troubled Water?, which whilst not as well rehearsed as some of the earlier versions, features strong vocals, with the reprise at the end indicating that Elvis was enjoying the performance.

Elvis then tells the band to start ?The Impossible Dream?, but nobody seems to know it, so he suggests ?For the Good Times? instead. Again there is no response, so the concert mainstay ?Funny How Time Slips Away? is performed as an alternative.

Elvis suggests ?The Impossible Dream? again, and gives the band a cue this time, but the song still doesn?t materialise, so another song from the ?Aloha? special, ?It?s over?, is given a good performance. Elvis then tries ?Release Me?, but this simply doesn?t work, so he quickly offers the concert rarity ?Faded Love? as an alternative, and after a quick tempo change at the beginning he gives a good impromptu performance which also features some good guitar work from James Burton.

The show the closes with the customary ?Can?t Help Falling In Love?, and as bonus material we are given a good performance of ?I?m Leavin??, and an attempt at ?A Big Hunk O? Love? which apart from a vocal mix up in the middle is also a fairly good performance. Both of the bonus songs were taken from the midnight show on the same day.

In summing up, I found this show quite enjoyable. There are a few mistakes, and the show may sound under rehearsed in places, but Elvis seems to be enjoying himself and this comes across in the performance. The humour is good natured, and it isn?t really surprising that Elvis was a little laid back, considering the show time.

It was also refreshing to hear that Elvis wasn?t working to a rigid set list, and it was nice to hear him suggest songs as the mood took him rather than wait for a cue as to what to sing next. This might have resulted in some songs not being quite as polished as they could have been, but it does make for a more interesting performance.

Not really essential,but it's o.k.

Probably this is the worst Elvis concert i've ever heard,but i'm happy
    that this show is in my collection.
    7o's soundboards are all welcome!
    Keep them coming!

Cadillac King
    quite a lot of people have bashed this show, i personally don't think its that bad. reading the book 'careless love', the reviews were not good. really, he's not that bad. i expected Elvis's voice to be like it was in Aloha, but its actually very close on the way to what it was in 1974, strong, but a little weak. i have'nt listened to the whole show, but i'll give a run down of the highlights which i've listened to so far. Elvis through out the show makes snoring sounds, refering that it is 3 am.

help me make it through the night: good version
    steamroller blues: no Memphis 74, no Aloha either, better than Aloha, good performance
    you gave me a mountain:strong, good performance
    rocknroll medley:good
    my way:not like Aloha, but a good performance
    what now my love: ending is STRONG!

i'll remember you: funny! Elvis changes the first line : i'll remember you, long after this, long morning is through, i'lll be horny-lonely. Elvis starts laughing hard and shouts SUNS COMIN UP! SUNS COMING UP! in a high pitched voice. he ends up breaking up at the end of the song in laughter, enjoyable to listen to.

i can't stop lovin you: listen to the last part, Elvis hits a note i have'nt heard him hit in this song, its awesome! then at the last bit, when he does in dreams of yester-YE HE HE HESTERRR!, thats really loud and powerful!

bridge over troubled water: strong good performance, reprise is very welcome
    release me: high key, but good, even if it only lasted 30 seconds
    faded love: good performance

really, this is a good show, not essential, but a good listen to
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Great live!!!

Re: FTD 30 - Takin' Tahoe Tonight

it's a great show i'm glad i listen to it!

" I Just LOVE MY ELVIS !"

Good comments here, does anyone know what the stage was like? Was it a big arena, small for the area, but large enough for a crowd? cozy?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Heard "Release Me" on Sirius/XM's Elvis channel

not to bad of a concert,but i dont listen to this often.
    Play it James!

Rare to find his song "Faded Love" in concert.
    Sincerely,
    Mr.TCB

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Faded Love is wonderful to have live, and of course a new concert makes it a must have for that alone. The sound is O K for a soundboard show is good!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977