Thread: James Burton Solo LP/CD

James Burton Solo LP/CD

Has anyone heard James Burton's 1971 LP "The Guitar Sounds of James Burton"? It was released on CD by A&M Records in 1997. I picked up an import copy a few years back.

My understanding is that Elvis had booked studio time and was unable to attend, so Felton Jarvis produced a record for James Burton during this time instead, as Elvis had already paid for the time.

The track list is:

Polk Salad Annie
    Suzie-Q
    Fire & Rain
    Fools Rush In
    Johnny B Goode
    I Know You Don't Want Me No More
    Delta Lady
    Mystery Train
    Rock & Raunch
    Hound Dog
    Hi-Heel Seneakers
    Long Reach

The musicians are not listed on the CD, however, I believe it is the full TCB Band. Johnny B Good and Mystery Train absolutely ROCK!!!!!! Fools Rush In is almost a duplicate of Elvis' version, obviously without any vocals. It's a very good CD, well worth seeking out.

Here's a copy of the front cover:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails James Burton CD.jpg  
    Last edited by BJBAmerica; 12-03-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Cadillac King

james burton lp

I have the original LP in my collection for a long long time! (1973). In 1997, after an interview with James in Memphis he put his autograph on my LP cover. Now I have the cd version and like the LP, I listen to this a lot..have a nice day, bogarcon

I also have the original LP bought mine in 72. Not sure if the TCB band is on it though. All were (in 1971) touring with other people as well as Elvis, so not sure how many if any are on it. But its a great instrumental LP,

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I would love to have this cd, James Burton is a fantastic Guitar player
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I got it last year, I love It , The Polk salad Annie Is great Too bad that they dubbed Elvis Vocal on it,
    tOm
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Quote Originally Posted by poormansgold View Post
    I got it last year, I love It , The Polk salad Annie Is great Too bad that they dubbed Elvis Vocal on it,
    tOm
    Tom,

This is an instrumental album..there's no vocal whatsoever on "Polk Salad Annie".

Coming On Strong
    A nice album, i bought it when it was released on cd back in the 90`s, and James Burton kindly signed it for me at the British fan clubs week at Mablethorpe a few years ago.

It is most definitely the TCB Band playing on this album (including The Sweets); it was an aborted recording session by Elvis, and he gave the go ahead for the project.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    It is most definitely the TCB Band playing on this album (including The Sweets); it was an aborted recording session by Elvis, and he gave the go ahead for the project.
    And he also (according to "Elvis: His Life From A To Z") paid the production costs for the album which were 'bout $6,000.00. IIRC, Elvis aborted the session that this album took place on due to suffering from the beginning affects of secondary glaucoma...but I may be wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    And he also (according to "Elvis: His Life From A To Z") paid the production costs for the album which were 'bout $6,000.00. IIRC, Elvis aborted the session that this album took place on due to suffering from the beginning affects of secondary glaucoma...but I may be wrong....
    Yo u Are Right Tony
    My frist posting ,what I mean was It been to have a overubbed version of polk Salad annie. I know is Inst. album
    To m
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Quote Originally Posted by poormansgold View Post
    Yo u Are Right Tony
    My frist posting ,what I mean was It been to have a overubbed version of polk Salad annie. I know is Inst. album
    To m
    An overdubbed version of PSA? Me don't understand...

*confused*

James Burton does have a website: http://www.james-burton.net/

TCB Mafia
    The 'Guitar Sounds Of James Burton' is an excellent record but in my opinion his other album 'Corn Pickin' and Slick Sliding' is even better. He also has a DVD (with book) 'Learning to Play Guitar' which is also excellent, especially for would be guitar players.

Brian

I would like to hear that...I bet it's great. I always wondered how Elvis would have sounded if he had recorded "Fire and Rain".

I bet tom means the added vocal background in some parts. It's been ages since I listened though...

Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    The 'Guitar Sounds Of James Burton' is an excellent record but in my opinion his other album 'Corn Pickin' and Slick Sliding' is even better. He also has a DVD (with book) 'Learning to Play Guitar' which is also excellent, especially for would be guitar players.

Brian

Brian,

I also think the "Corn Pickin' & Slick Slidin'" CD is the better CD of the two...

By the way, here's a bit of a correction:

The title of James' instructional DVD is "The Legendary Guitar Of James Burton".

Coming On Strong
    Does anyone have the 1979 lp Record of The TCB Band ,it has the Lightning bolt on the cover,James sings two songs and Ronnie Tutt sings the rest on the Lp record,its alittle bit Discoish Elvis,I Found some Copies Years Ago,James Signed one for me in the 1980s,it was produced in Texas

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Brian,

I also think the "Corn Pickin' & Slick Slidin'" CD is the better CD of the two...

By the way, here's a bit of a correction:

The title of James' instructional DVD is "The Legendary Guitar Of James Burton".
    Thanks for the correction Tony. When posting my previous message I could not find the DVD amongst the many I have and only went from memory. I met James backstage at 'Elvis The Concert' and got him to sign the Book which accompanies the DVD. He also gave me a red guitar pick which he had played with at the Concert. I think the 'Hello Mary Lou' solo is amazing.

Brian