Thread: Elvis`s favourite films

Cadillac King

Elvis`s favourite films

I know Elvis loved Rebel Without A Cause and Marlon Brando films like On The Waterfront and The Godfather and I believe he liked Patton. He also liked watching Peter Sellers films such as DR.Strangelove but does anyone know anymore films that he enjoyed?

Sorry I don't know what else he liked to watch. I know he liked the ones you talked about I like these movies too.

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

International Level

Cool

He liked, "The Village of the ****ed"
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

He also liked to watch Paul Newman especially Cool Hand Luke. And not to forget the cyclus of Clint Eastwood (in his Westerns and as Dirty Harry) And I'm sure he liked to watch Sean Connery as 007.

Thanks Leroy, you are always "The Source"

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

He enjoyed waching "Monty Python´s Flying Circus". He was crazy about The Beatles "A Hard Days Night" back in '64, ´and he liked those 70's Karate or Kung Fu Movies, thats some of what I read, I didnt know him haha...

He loved absurdist, British-aligned humor, like Monty Pyhton and the Holy Grail and a ton of Peter Sellers films: all the Pink Panther movies, Dr Strangelove (an amazing film that's all too relevant today), and the classic from 1968, The Party. I think a lot of people would be surprised as to his interest in such films (and certainly in his choice of reading material) because so many assume he was a lowest-common-denominator sort who'd probably be more at home watching Hee Haw. Yeah, he liked fairly straightforward action films (martial arts films, Death Wish, etc), but he liked a lot more, too.

Elvis was complex and paradoxical, and his preferences in movies show that to some extent. I always sort of wished he saw Star Wars before he went -- he may not have been a particular sci-fi or fantasy fan, but I wasn't and I thought the previews looked ridiculous (I was 13 at the time of its release) but the film just blew my mind.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by 1100ccRider
    I always sort of wished he saw Star Wars before he went -- he may not have been a particular sci-fi or fantasy fan, but I wasn't and I thought the previews looked ridiculous (I was 13 at the time of its release) but the film just blew my mind.
    I don't know if they still mention it, but when I went to Graceland back in 1990 they mentioned on the tour that he tried to obtain a print of "Star Wars" to show Lisa Marie the night before he died but it wasn't available. I even asked the guide if he had seen the movie prior to that (knowing that he tended to re-watch movies that he enjoyed), but she didn't know. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere that he saw it, though, so he probably didn't.

I think just the music would've left quite an impression on him, had he been in the right frame-of-mind when watching it. Not to mention the rest of the movie. 1977 saw the passing of one legend and the beginning of another.

That's what made me wish he'd seen it, that he tried to find a copy of it...and I've wondered if he did somehow already see it and was just getting it again for Lisa. I'm sure that the movie-distribution/rental company has records, somewhere, but we may never know. The Spy Who Loved Me was the last film he saw, apparently.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Elvis loved "Wuthering Heights", "It's a Wonderful Life", and "Miracle on 34th Street". Another film that Priscilla quotes in her book "Elvis & Me" is "The Way of all Flesh". She said Elvis and her would cry themselves to sleep over this movie. Some others are "Mr. Skeffington", "Les Miserables", and "Letter from an Unknown Woman".

Cadillac King
    Thankyou Sattnin.

Good stuff.

I think I'd heard he liked all of these films before - except those posted by Sattnin.

Now, surely, being a martial artist and something of a philosopher himself, Elvis loved Bruce Lee's films? I also wonder what Elvis' reaction was to Lee's death in 1973 - several years before his own?

I, too, wish he'd survived to see Star Wars and Superman - another classic film with a black-haired Greek god! Bear in mind that Elvis loved comic books as a kid and that Superman was the granddaddy of them all! These two films would have rocked his world.

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    I, too, wish he'd survived to see Star Wars and Superman - another classic film with a black-haired Greek god! Bear in mind that Elvis loved comic books as a kid and that Superman was the granddaddy of them all! These two films would have rocked his world.
    Great point about Superman! It's funny you should mention that movie, because I was trying to think of unusual movie roles Elvis might've played had he lived and gotten healthy and one of the ones that came to mind was Jor El in Superman. As you mentioned, Elvis did share some of Superman's features and I think he could've been surprisingly good as his father. Brando did a great job with it, but I think Elvis could've brought something a little different and been even more convincing.

If they'd made the movie in '68 (as long as we're talking hypotheticals, we might as well go all the way and say that somehow the same effects technology and look for the movie would've also existed), he probably could've played Superman himself - IF people had been able to get past the fact that he was Elvis. Which is a pretty big if. The problem with a role like Superman is that stepping into this legendary hero's boots comes with its own set of baggage, which is why its probably better when previously unknown actors play him. In some ways, it's not unlike playing Elvis, actually.

Speaking of Superman, there was an "imaginary" (aren't they all?) Superman story from DC comics in the mid-to-late 80's just before they "rebooted" the DC universe in which Superman is thought to have died on August 16, 1987. (I think it was called "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" - not to be confused with the Doomsday storyline years later after the reboot where Superman was killed.) The frame story took place in 1997 (which, at the time, was the "future"), the tenth anniversary of Superman's death. I think whoever wrote the story was having fun with the date. It just seems too unlikely that the date for Superman's apparent death was coincidentally the same as the tenth anniversary of Elvis' death. I may just be crazy, though...

Elvis liked the film" McArther " with Gregory Peck. He also use to kid the guys
    about how he wanted to be on LaughIn, the TV variety show. He wanted to be the guy in the raincoat and hat, who rode the small kids 3 wheel bike. The skit always ended with the guy falling over on the bike. Elvis told the guys he would like to fall over then stand up, take off the hat and wink into the camera. He thought it would be hilarious.

RE FILMS e.p. liked

wELL DID YA KNOW THE LAST FILM HE SEEN AND VERY MUCH LIKED WAS '"ROCKY" it was GEORGE KLIEN , who told E.P. about the film, and ELVIS decided he wanted to see it, GEORGE told us all back in 90 at the RIVERA show that CHARLIE had tears in his eyes at the end, and E.P. just laughed his *** off.

Backstage Pass
    all i know is that he admired Marlon Brando and Jimmy Dean. movies like Rebel Without a cause was one of his favorites. i dont know of many brando movies but maybe on the waterfront was one he liked. i'm not sure though.
    ADRIANNA