Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis "WALK THE LINE" movie scenes

Elvis "WALK THE LINE" movie scenes

I just saw "Walk The Line". I thought it was a great movie but it did have some issues. One of the main problems were the timeline errors and just obvious lies during the Sun years. They have Jerry Lee, Elvis, Roy and Johnny all on the same tour in 1955. Jerry lee wouldn't have been out with Johnny until 1956 if I'm not mistaken and by that time Elvis wouldn't have been with them. They have Roy Orbison in the car with Elvis. I don 't think that Roy would have been riding with him. The main thing that annoyed me was there is a scene where all of the guys are out in the grass on the side of the road hanging out. Somebody has made a bomb that they use to blow up in a tree. They have Elvis hanging out with everybody, including Jerry Lee drinking beer. Somebody offers Johnny some pills for the first time. They say, "Elvis takes them". Tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think Elvis started taking pills until the Army. ALSO on a side note they have Waylon hanging out with all of them in a later scene. Waylon was in TX doing his D.J. thing at that time and wouldn't have been hanging out as an equal yet with Johnny Cash. Tyler Hilton was ALRIGHT as Elvis, but again still not like he should have been. Waylon Payne as Jerry Lee was really the best musical performance and acting performance of any of them really. OPINIONS??
    "I always liked that hillbilly."

-Waymore

Your right, EP didn't start taking pills until his army stint. I hope EPE takes notice of this and addresses this glaring mistake.

Coming On Strong
    I saw the movie over the weekend. I really enjoyed the film and thought Joaquin Phoenix did an excellent job. I don't know enough about Johnny Cash to have noticed mistakes, but he did a good job with the mannerisms and even the voice somewhat. I found myself just trying to ignore the whole portrayal of Elvis. I never like watching anyone try to play him anyway, and it was such a small part of this movie that I was able to just block it out!

But now that you've pointed out all of those mistakes, you are totally correct! I think it's that way with all of these films being made lately. The Bobby Darin one, Ray Charles, and I think there's been another one...they all have major factual errors in them. I guess they just thought it made for a better movie. But I'm glad they're making the movies anyway. It creates new fans for these great musicians!
    Before Elvis, there was nothing....

I personally think that Cash would be upset about the Elvis drug connection. It almost made it seem like Elvis had something to do with Cash's drug problem. Cash ALWAYS defended Elvis. Here's an example:

"SCOTT (700 Club reporter): You started out about the same time as Elvis with Sun Records. Elvis didn't make it. Would you account this experience with the Lord as the reason you made it and he didn't?

JOHNNY: No. Elvis may have had a stronger relationship with God than I did. God gives us life and takes us away as He sees fit. I don't say Elvis died because of drugs. I say God decided it was time for him to die. I don't believe any of the trash I've read about him. God's the final judge for Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash too. That's solely in the hands of God."

I don't know about you guys but it seems like Cash just put that "Christian" hypocrite in his place.

-Waymore

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waymore44
    I personally think that Cash would be upset about the Elvis drug connection. It almost made it seem like Elvis had something to do with Cash's drug problem. Cash ALWAYS defended Elvis. Here's an example:

"SCOTT (700 Club reporter): You started out about the same time as Elvis with Sun Records. Elvis didn't make it. Would you account this experience with the Lord as the reason you made it and he didn't?

JOHNNY: No. Elvis may have had a stronger relationship with God than I did. God gives us life and takes us away as He sees fit. I don't say Elvis died because of drugs. I say God decided it was time for him to die. I don't believe any of the trash I've read about him. God's the final judge for Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash too. That's solely in the hands of God."

I don't know about you guys but it seems like Cash just put that "Christian" hypocrite in his place.
    I agree! And I love that you put that quote up here! Thanks so much! I have always loved Johnny Cash, and next to Elvis, I don't think anyone had more charisma on stage. Elvis, of course, was far ahead though.

Do you know where I can get a video, audio or transcript of this interview? Thanks again!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Cadillac King
    Joe Car: There's no way EPE is going to comment on the factual error about Elvis' drug use in "Walk The Line". That would just call attention to his problem.

WHEN he started with the pills isn't the problem. It's that he started at all.
    If you're EPE and you call attention to the fact that he didn't start with the pills in '55, but rather, in '58 you're doing more harm than good.

Backstage Pass
    didnt he start in the army? i heard that he took them to stay awake when he was on watch or something.
    ADRIANNA

I was reading a blog about "Walk The Line" and someone posted:

"I didn't know Elvis is who started Johnny on drugs."

That really is horrible that now we will have people actually thinking something like that. John Carter Cash should be ashamed that he let that get into the movie.

-Waymore

OK on 6th of Feb. 2006 the movie started here in Germany

Yesterday I went watching the movie.

Great! But the Elvis scenes were .

And the fact, that Elvis may have "brought" Johnny on drugs is horror! I am really shocked!

Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were great in performing. I loved that movie!!

I hope maybe someone (EPE) will bring another good movie from Elvis maybe in 2007?

Cadillac King
    I`m going to see Walk The Line this week but who is the actor that they`ve got playing Elvis?
    Anybody a picture of him?
    I`ve heard its a pretty good film its certainly getting a good response in Britain.

The Name is Tyler Hilton

look here

I had the idea to go and watch the movie but I've read there are a lot of mistakes , especially about Elvis...why?There are a lot of sources and fonts to know exactly what happened in the fifties during their tours.
    About the drugs...it's terrible that the movie shows Elvis giving pills to others!Elvis hated any kind of drugs, he couldn't stand even alchool and people who used both of them...I can't understand! and he started to use pills only in Germany.
    It's a pity especially for people who don't know anything about Elvis..a total distorsion!
    About the actor...well...I don't like him so much...it's hard to watch others playing Elvis but I think that this one is not so similar to the original!Do you advice me to watch the movie all the same?

Yes I do

Although I was very angry about the elvis actor and the fact, that now any "not Elvis fans" get another picture of him.. the movie is great!!

Quote Originally Posted by polksaladhasie
    .....the fact, that now any "not Elvis fans" get another picture of him....
    I think you hit the nail on the head!

IMO, The reason they portrayed Elvis that way, was to make him look bad and chip away at his image/popularity.
    Why you ask? Pure jealousy? I think many people don’t like Elvis because he started out in the same small studio in Memphis as Johnny, Jerry Lee & others but only Elvis became a superstar!

Some people will do anything they can to make Elvis look bad.
    Fortunately, they will fail as Elvis Presley will always be the king of rock n roll.

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar

Thumbs up

I don't think they made Elvis look bad in this movie, Elvis is barely in it!!! The "pill incident" is a little annoying though. This movie is all about Johnny and June, its a great trials and tribulations story!! I enjoyed this movie tremendously, might even see it again!!!

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=6201

Mad Tigers
    the pill thing pissed me off I thought tyler did a good job as elvis for the young elvis.. Shooter did a ggreat job as his dad waylon.. I LOVED the jerry char "We're all goin to hell for the songs we sing" .. i saw it 2 times once when it first came out and just recently at first I didnt catch the pill thing and I thought jerry was annoying now I like him and the crap about elvis pissed me off..

anyway when it comes out Im so buying it on DVD

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 19Ashe86
    anyway when it comes out Im so buying it on DVD
    ME 2!!!! (but who cares! LOL)

Cadillac King
    I loved the movie and thought that Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic as Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon was great as June.
    I loved the music and it is a movie I could watch again and again.
    The only downer for me was the ***** that they had playing Elvis, he was absolutely dreadful.
    He looked nothing like Elvis and next to the actor playing Johnny he looked downright ugly when we all know that Elvis was the best-looking man ever.
    His stage movements were awful and I really wish that he wasn`t in the movie.
    Even the guy playing Roy Orbison looked more like Buddy Holly.
    I didn`t like the reference to the guy offering Johnny drugs and saying Elvis takes them particularly when Elvis is stood there at the time and when I heard a woman just behind me in the cinema say `thats how he got started on drugs` it made me more angry.
    At least it didn`t show Elvis offering him them or else that would have been it.
    Aside from that it was brilliant but I don`t know how accurate the story is as I don`t know a great deal about Johnny Cash aside from Sun Records etc.
    They stated at the beginning that it was based on Johnny`s autobiography so if that is the case then the pill story should not of been in as I`m sure he wouldn`t of wrote that as we all know Elvis didn`t start with the pills until the army.
    The story though is about Johnny and June and maybe it just stands out to us so much because we are Elvis fans.
    Last edited by joanne; 02-24-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Originally posted by Joanne
    ..The only downer for me was the ***** that they had playing Elvis, he was absolutely dreadful.
    He looked nothing like Elvis and next to the actor playing Johnny he looked downright ugly when we all know that Elvis was the best-looking man ever.
    His stage movements were awful and I really wish that he wasn`t in the movie.
    Even the guy playing Roy Orbison looked more like Buddy Holly.
    I've just seen the movie at the cinema and although I liked it a lot it wasn't so exciting to see "that" Elvis and especially the mistakes of the movie.
    You're right...Elvis seemed not so fine as he was...and we don't tell this because we are Elvis fans but because there were real distorsions in the movie (drugs, Jerry Lee Lewis on tour in 1955 and so on...). I ask myself why they didn't tell the truth...I know it was Johnny Cash biography and not a movie about our Elvis but it's unfair they made that portrait of him...a stupid guy who liked talk about sex and used pills....
    About Roy Orbison...yes, at the beginning I thought he was Buddy Holly too....

Cadillac King
    I think it could of been done without including Jerry Lee, Elvis etc.
    It could have mentioned them or made reference to them having just been on stage and then gone on with Johnny and June.
    Joaquin Phoenix is excellent in the role though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast