Thread: It's Midnight

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

It's Midnight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftd15.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	12257

Live in: Las Vegas, NV. - August 24 1974 (midnight show)

Tracklist: (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

01: See See Rider
    02: I Got A Woman/Amen
    03: Love Me
    04: If You Love Me
    05: It's Midnight
    06: Big Boss Man
    07: Fever
    08: Love Me Tender
    09: All Shook Up
    10: The Wonder Of You
    11: I'm Leavin'
    12: Softly As I Leave You
    13: Spanish Eyes
    14: Hound Dog
    15: You Gave A Mountain
    16: Polk Salad Annie
    17: Introductions
    18: If You Talk In Your Sleep
    19: Why Me, Lord?
    20: (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
    21: How Great Thou Art
    22: Let Me Be There
    23: Early Morning Rain
    24: Hawaiian Wedding Song
    25: Can't Help Falling In Love

Tracks 19-25 - recorded live on August 29, 1974 at the dinner show

Reviews:
    Andy Urias
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 02-09-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    "really no enjoyment.."
    Reviewed by Andy Urias

"IT'S MIDNIGHT" might be the worst release by FTD so far. It is widely known that Elvis' August/September Las Vegas engagement was one full of triumphs and tragedies. A lot of these performances have been documented on various bootlegs and on official releases by BMG. Here we have parts of the August 24 and 29 midnight shows. The confusing aspect to this CD is why were these performances chosen for release by FTD at this time? Just for a badly edited Early Morning Rain? It doesn't make much sense.

So much unreleased live material remains in the vaults, yet this mediocre live album is released. As bad as the performance on TUCSON '76 is, the release is a fascinating one and stands for what FTD is all about. The performance on IT'S MIDNIGHT! is very average. Even though BMG probably can't do much with the sound and the show has been bootlegged before, the famous opening night show from this Vegas engagement might have been a nice BMG/FTD release, as many fans have voiced their desire for this to happen. At least FTD would have released a historical audio event. Or maybe, FTD should have just created a mix of songs like disc 4 of LIVE IN LAS VEGAS to showcase more soundboard material and highlights from this 1974 engagement.

Meanwhile, almost an entire year passes before the SPRING TOURS 77 material sees the light of day. A complete and unedited show from 1969 still sits in the vaults. How about another complete show from August 1970, who can ever get tired of hearing Elvis in his prime? The February 1970 material from Vegas is still being heavily guarded and the winter 1972 live material from Vegas is still being ignored. There has to be some intriguing soundboards from hard to find years like 1971. How about the Lake Tahoe Show from 1973, which keeps getting held back? Ernst recently said in Memphis that the Tahoe show hasn't made it to the production line because "better" ideas come along. How was releasing IT'S MIDNIGHT! a better idea?

There is really no enjoyment when listening to this CD. Elvis sounds extremely bored and flat. JD Sumner is way up in the mix on some of the tracks (nothing FTD can do about, but nevertheless, it is very annoying). The sequencing doesn't match the track listing near the end of the disc (nice production error guys!). 'Early Morning Rain' is cut at the beginning, what happened? This strangely edited song is supposed to be the showcase of this pathetic release? Why is there a picture of Elvis and Jackie Wilson inside the cover, what does he have to do with this CD or the performances on it? Hardcore fans will want this release as they welcome any unreleased performance BMG has to offer, but if you are a casual listener, stay away and wait for the next FTD release showcasing movie soundtrack outtakes!

? Andy Urias, September 12 2002

Roustabouts
    I don't think, that this is a bad show. Ok, the oldies are rushed and sung without any interest, but the most songs are sung very well. HOW GREAT THOU ART, I'M LEAVIN' or IT'S MIDNIGHT are outstanding performances and rare gems like SPANISH EYES or (a half version of) EARLY MORNING RAIN are well delivered, too. The artwork may be not the best, but still nice to see. In my opinion, this CD should be in everyones collection, because it gives a good impression of the ELVIS SUMMER FESTIVAL 1974.

Cadillac King
    this is actually one of my fave shows, and a good one too. E is performing very well, and i think over all, this cd should be in every live fans collection.
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Can someone tell me if this cd is worth buyin'?
    I did it my way.

Cadillac King
    i like it, its one of my faves. of course, there a better, but for Elvis in 1974, its a pretty good show. you gotta buy it for the 'stay free pads' dialogue. ha! that bit is worth the price of the cd!

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Always liked the 74 vegas season, because of the various setlists E used here...There are strong live versions of a big list of songs...Maybe this cd has not Elvis' strongest concert on it, but it stays a must have in your collection...
    Sure is that the opening concert of this season is the best i've ever heard of 74...
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

Backstage Pass
    i like this cd....and i don?t know where he get this elvis is bored statement from.

I just got mine it is a very good cd! What was the "stay free pad" comment on? [witch track]
    I did it my way.

Cadillac King
    that is on the band intros track near the end

elvisdownunder thanx for the info!
    I did it my way.

i got it's midnight and Big Boss Man for my birthday i really like both of them.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    To me, it's a very good show from this bizzare las Vegas enagement...some awesome performances, one of which was I'm Leavin..such a great song and was great to hear Elvis sing it again
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Not As Bad As Said

It's Midnight is not as bad as said here. One Question is why two concerts were compiled instead of using a complete concert from that tour?
    The overall sound is ok for a mono soundboard and slightly better than a good audience recording. The tracklist reflects the more contemporary choices Elvis made during that period, although From Paradise Road To Sunset Boulevard is even better for this concern.
    The artwork on the front is cool using a logo which was first developed for the Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 release from RCA at the end of the seventies. In my opinion the picture can be considered as a tribute to so many "Karate Speeches" Elvis held in '74. The inside is not too good but ok.
    All in all it is a release worth being bought and nice to hear.

I havn`t been listening to this cd in a while, but what I remember best from it, is the funny stories that he tells......worth the whole cd IMO.
    "Elvis music is how feelings sounds like"

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Great FTD. Look forward to the new double 2 cdset from ftd in october containing opening night august 19th 1974 and the second disc i hope has a new unreleased show from the engagemnt

Same as Colonel,can't wait for the October releases.

Very good show!!!!!!

Re: FTD 15 - It's Midnight

I dissagree with the revue posted here. I think this is a GREAT show and it includes some great vocals by Elvis. I especially love the 'stay-free' comment! Classic!!!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Re: FTD 15 - It's Midnight

personally I don't think, that it's a bad show at all matter of fact i enjoy it!

" I Just LOVE MY ELVIS !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast