Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Graceland & Elvis' Bedroom

Graceland & Elvis' Bedroom

Hello Everybody,

What are your thoughts about Elvis' bedroom at Graceland, do you think it should be open to the public, would you want to see it or would you rather have it remain a mystery? How do you feel when you think about his bedroom at Graceland?

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Hello Everybody,

What are your thoughts about Elvis' bedroom at Graceland, do you think it should be open to the public, would you want to see it or would you rather have it remain a mystery? How do you feel when you think about his bedroom at Graceland?

Tommy
    It really isn't that much of a mystery, because there are photos of both the bathroom & bedroom out there that by now all hardcore fans have seen.

There is not much in it anymore, either. All critical contents have long since been removed, inventoried, & archived by EPE.

EPE, however, was not the first to do so -----> the first was done back right after EP passed away, at Vernon's request.

Given the purge that was done right after EP died, the Vernon inventory, & now EPE's ---------> the room has never remained "untouched" in its original condition. That is a MYTH that EPE perpetuates for its own use & future plans. (Therein also lies the answer to part of your original query).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    It's an interesting dilemna...

Personally, I would like to see the upstairs of Graceland and I think many of his fans would also like to see it as well!

Unfortunately, I think the logistics of opening the upstairs to the public make the whole idea prohibitive! There is no way to make the upstairs handicap accessible (like the bar and pool rooms are now) unless an elevator was installed, which obviously isn't going to happen.

The other problem is the safety issue with opening the upstairs, such as fire escapes, etc. In order to open the upstairs, emergency fire exits would have to be installed, including fire escapes. Obviously the installation of fire escapes would drastically alter the exterior of the house, which is something I just don't see happening.

So while opening the upstairs would certainly be great, I just think there are too many logistical issues that make the idea impossible to do. HOWEVER...EPE could update their tour video that they sell at the Graceland Plaza and through their catalog and include a tour of the upstairs. That way, fans could see the upstairs without all of the problems that would be created actually trying to open the upstairs to the touring public!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    It really isn't that much of a mystery, because there are photos of both the bathroom & bedroom out there that by now all hardcore fans have seen.

There is not much in it anymore, either. All critical contents have long since been removed, inventoried, & archived by EPE.

EPE, however, was not the first to do so -----> the first was done back right after EP passed away, at Vernon's request.

Given the purge that was done right after EP died, the Vernon inventory, & now EPE's ---------> the room has never remained "untouched" in its original condition. That is a MYTH that EPE perpetuates for its own use & future plans. (Therein also lies the answer to part of your original query).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....
    It's not the same as seeing the rooms in person as seeing an old photo. How does anyone know for sure that the room has not changed.

Tommy

Thank you Mike for your reply. I don't know what the state laws are in TN, but I've seen old historic homes in the USA upstairs with no fire escapes and no means for the handicaped. Although it would be the thing to do for the handicaped.

I would like to see upstairs. But Lisa Marie say that's not for the public, that it was the private quarters for the family and that's why they won't ever show it. But maybe one day it will be opened, years from now.

The video was a good idea too.

Tommy

International Level

Cool

Personally I think Elvis has been exploited enough in life and certainly death to make every last item of dignity open to the public to view, for me is too much. To have people stop and stare at the spot where he lost his life, amid all the tabloid junk and sesnationalism about how and where it happened, would be for me a very insensitive move.

Besides, Graceland would have to be altered to meet fire regulations were they to ever even consider allowing that many members of the public upstairs. Something which I don't think even EPE could do. Lisa is right to keep it off bounds. It adds to the myth and mystery as every set of eyes that enters that front door is drawn up the staircase that leads to the place where he lost his life. Besides, most people aren't aware that when you walk into Graceland you are standing practically beneath the spot where he lost his life.

In a word though - No - I don't think it ever should be opened up and I hope it isnt ever opened up. The Bedroom cam is even taking it too far. Why not have a Bathroom cam so we can all see what Elvis got to look at seconds before his death? EPE should just stop, besides Elvis had his curtains closed for pretty much the last few years, so he no more looked out that window than I did for a long time.

Oh by the way, the Captian is 100% correct about the way the room is now. In fact, most of the upsatirs is used for storage. I know several people who have been in the room and they all say the same. Most of the stuff has been moved out of it.
    Last edited by 0349054; 10-17-2005 at 12:58 AM.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Tommy, you know I would be really happy if I could go to Graceland. Would be awesome for me see everything there. But Elvis' bedroom... That was so personal thing for him... Actually I have mixed feeling about me going to visit that enigmatic place, as you said. maybe we should keep that as a mystery. Let's respect our man's privacy. (Well, sort of)

And If that room is open to public, how could fans get into it?, one by one?
    Last edited by Wendy56; 10-17-2005 at 01:52 AM.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Given the purge that was done right after EP died, the Vernon inventory, & now EPE's ---------> the room has never remained "untouched" in its original condition. That is a MYTH that EPE perpetuates for its own use & future plans. (Therein also lies the answer to part of your original query)....
    Hi Captain,

Yes, EPE is really focused on giving people the idea that Graceland is untouched and is still is exactly the same to the August 1977 version.

I've read on a newsgroup that EPE is really carefull with access to the second floor of Graceland. One person (an electrician) had access to that floor, to work on the airconditioning. He told that that floor was completely stripped, and that several rooms (also Lisa's bedroom) was used for storage. Although it's reasonable, it's also a bit of a sad thought.

Pictures and information on the second floor of Graceland: http://www.linkydinky.com/graceland/
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Cadillac King
    I`m heartbroken that his bedroom has been completely stripped I can`t believe it. I know certain items have been taken from the upstairs to be put on display but I am shocked by this particularly when Lisa-Marie stated that the rooms upstairs have been untouched. Where has everything gone?

It's not the same as seeing the rooms in person as seeing an old photo. How does anyone know for sure that the room has not changed.

Tommy
    Tommy Boy,

If you are going to continue to question everything I say / post by default, ............ then just please do me the favor of ignoring my posts from here on out (& I'll do the same). Alrighty?

(I really don't have the time to play Romper Room with you anymore).

One last answer to your query, though:

All of Graceland is but a shell now. It's just a house & they can never re-create what is was when EP was there. I will agree, however, that seeing something in person does add an entirely different perspective than merely photos / descriptions cannot. As "Jungleroom76" points out -----> that may never come pass. We may have to be satisfied with a "virtual" tour of some sorts (those that want to see it that is).

-----------------------------------------------------

Greetings Albert,

Yes, you are correct.

Everything EPE does has a reason, either immediate ........... or ............ delayed.

They are actively re-writing EP's life & history, although I am pleased to see the ever so slight turn in direction away from their usual DISNEYFIED versions of the past .......... with the recent "Elvis By The Presley's" DVD (it is still, however, heavily skewed in favor of Priscilla, but I suppose that is to be expected).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....

PS - If they ever open the upstairs, .......... I'll definitely make a return visit. I think for most hardcore fans, that's a given - if the chance is there.

Backstage Pass
    i think elvis's bedroom should still be kept a mystery because i don't think where he passed away should be exploited in anyway.
    ADRIANNA

Tommy Boy,

If you are going to continue to question everything I say / post by default, ............ then just please do me the favor of ignoring my posts from here on out (& I'll do the same). Alrighty?

(I really don't have the time to play Romper Room with you anymore).

One last answer to your query, though:

All of Graceland is but a shell now. It's just a house & they can never re-create what is was when EP was there. I will agree, however, that seeing something in person does add an entirely different perspective than merely photos / descriptions cannot. As "Jungleroom76" points out -----> that may never come pass. We may have to be satisfied with a "virtual" tour of some sorts (those that want to see it that is).

-----------------------------------------------------

Greetings Albert,

Yes, you are correct.

Everything EPE does has a reason, either immediate ........... or ............ delayed.

They are actively re-writing EP's life & history, although I am pleased to see the ever so slight turn in direction away from their usual DISNEYFIED versions of the past .......... with the recent "Elvis By The Presley's" DVD (it is still, however, heavily skewed in favor of Priscilla, but I suppose that is to be expected).

Capt. "EL." / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....

PS - If they ever open the upstairs, .......... I'll definitely make a return visit. I think for most hardcore fans, that's a given - if the chance is there.
    I have a right to by opinion, just as you do yours. I don't appreicate the "Tommy Boy" either. You should have more respect for others opinions.

Tommy

Thank you all for your interesting replies.

Tommy

I have a right to by opinion, just as you do yours.

I don't appreicate the "Tommy Boy" either.

You should have more respect for others opinions.

Tommy
    Tommy Boy,

Yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but ..............

It's a fallacy that everyone's opinion is worth the same.

You're living proof of that.

(JMO, mind you).

Since you're going to dole out genius advice now --------- here's some for you in return --------> I think you should work some more on your own neuronal synapses.

Intelligent / informed opinion is always respected by me.

Cappy / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....
    Last edited by Captain Elwood David; 10-17-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Yes, I do believe that we should be able to tour the upstairs of Elvis's Mansion. When you go to Graceland you pay a good price for everything and I truly believe that Elvis was the type of person who was proud of himself and his accomplishments and would want his fans to see his entire home.

Those who choice not to go upstairs~~well they would not have to tour it. Speaking for myself, I would have very much enjoyed seeing the entire mansion and felt a little cheated that they did not permit us to tour it. (As many of you have already stated~~there are pictures out there of his bedroom and bathroom so why not let his fans have the chance to see the entire mansion if they choice to.

I know it is just my opinon, but I do belive that Elvis would not mind at all. I felt his presence when I was there in the meditation garden and I know that he did loved his fans and always tried to please them. Wow, He sure was the "King" and I say long live the king even if others are making the decisions as to what the fans are permited to see at Graceland. Dovey

Welcome Dovey

I like what you had to say.

Thank you,

Tommy

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovey
    Yes, I do believe that we should be able to tour the upstairs of Elvis's Mansion. When you go to Graceland you pay a good price for everything and I truly believe that Elvis was the type of person who was proud of himself and his accomplishments and would want his fans to see his entire home. Those who choice not to go upstairs~~well they would not have to tour it.
    WELL SAID DOVEY!!!

I agree with you completely that Elvis would have been very proud to show off his home to the fans!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

YES, ... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH DOVEY for your words !!
    I not only like what you said, but HOW you said it as well !!!

I do hope so very, very much that I can read more of your words & the very, very special way in which you say them, too!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE !!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN ....
    ...... and AGAIN !!!!!

.................................. and AGAIN !!!!!!

AH, HELL ---------> A BILLION THANK YOU'S FRIEND !!!!!!!

- Cappy
    ... just a very HAPPY fan .... x 100

--------------------------------------------

PS - Tommy,

I did forget to say thank you for one other thing:

I now know what it must feel like to get into an argument with Mickey Mouse.

Have a good one.

- Capt. "EL. / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....

PPS - Dovey, ............ that was entirely tongue-n-cheek. (wink!)

Smile Elvi's bedroom

Hello Everybody,

Tommy
    What do I feel when I think about Elvi's bedroom at Graceland?Very,very sad! He past away there(thank you God that it din't happend in some hotel room)I think it should be respected and live it as it is.Is the ONLY private thing left about him.

Thank you

Ayda

Ive always wanted to go upstairs and see the bedroom because since Elvis is not around, I think that would be as close as possible to be with him. But I dont think it should be done. It is disrespectful and changes would have to be done to the house to allow such a thing. But besides all that, when Elvis was alive this was his private sanctuary. When someone came to his house or was in the house few ever saw the inside of his room, with an exception of a few. He was proud of his house and all, but I dont think he would want to take us up to his room if we visited him. Only family and others he loved ever saw it.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast