Thread: Elvis And Jumpsuits

Elvis And Jumpsuits

By the time of Elvis last year I think the jumpsuits had became boring and out of style, and I do not think Elvis should have or would have continued to wear the jumpsuits much longer after 1977. So I was wondering what you think Elvis's stage attire would have been if he had lived?

That's a tough question, but knowing Elvis it would not have been boring!!

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I agree that by 1977, the jumpsuits were getting to be a bit problematic....especially with Elvis' ever-changing weight problem. When he had put on some extra weight, the 1-piece jumpsuits looked tight on him.

I would have hoped that, had Elvis lived beyond that fateful August day, that he would have considered going back to the 2-piece outfits that he wore mainly in 1972 and a bit in early 1975. I think these would have fit him much better as he got older and was a little heavier than the early 70's.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

International Level

Cool

August 74' all the way!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

I wish Elvis would have wore those two-piece suits more than he did, especially in the latter days, 1977 in particular, because the sundial jumpsuit was hideous. Besides hiding his weight problem better, that looked awesome.

Cadillac King
    He looked stunning in those two-piece suits.

If he had lost weight again, and gotten healthy things would have been much different. He looked good and everything he wore.

Tommy

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I think he would have taken in some of the days styles, altered them and made them his own. Pretty much like he did his whole life. He always had a way of making things look better and cooler.
    Alot of people criticize the clothes, styles, his tastes, decorum in Graceland, jumpsuits, sideburns etc.. But all those styles were cool during the 70's. When I saw him in Memphis in 76 I thought he was the coolest dude I ever saw. I didn't even see the weight, as like many other fans. (now I look at the photos and I see it, and think how much better he would have looked in a dark two piece) And he virtually redefined stage wear in the 7o's. Look at some of the groups from then, alot of flashy one piece and two piece jumpsuits.
    Anyway, he would have stayed pretty much in style, I think. I think the jumpsuits would have been over too after 77 or 78. I think he would have gone with something updated with his trademark flash.
    If only...............
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    That's a tough question, but knowing Elvis it would not have been boring!!

Tommy
    Agreed, In 1976 and 1977 there had only been two new Jumpsuits one being the Colourful Flame Jumpsuit and the Blue Prehistoric Bird Jumpsuit. Elvis either didn't wan't new Jumpsuits because of the weight Issue or had simply lost interest!

Looking further down the line after 1977 I think elvis would have gone down the Las Vegas lounge room direction but with an Elvis twist, take for Instance the MSG two piece but in black!

If Elvis had made it past 1977 he would certainly have had to sort out his medication Issues and if that was the case the weight Issue could surely have been dealt with and a new wardrobe would have been unveiled.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie
    Agreed, In 1976 and 1977 there had only been two new Jumpsuits one being the Colourful Flame Jumpsuit and the Blue Prehistoric Bird Jumpsuit. Elvis either didn't wan't new Jumpsuits because of the weight Issue or had simply lost interest!

Looking further down the line after 1977 I think elvis would have gone down the Las Vegas lounge room direction but with an Elvis twist, take for Instance the MSG two piece but in black!

If Elvis had made it past 1977 he would certainly have had to sort out his medication Issues and if that was the case the weight Issue could surely have been dealt with and a new wardrobe would have been unveiled.

JJ
    I agree with you. I think the weight issue would have to have been taken care of and his medication issues dealt with. Elvis would have been great slim again at his age he was still young.

Thank you for posting this information,

Tommy

I think he would have tryed new styles heading into the 80's(Has anyone heard of country singer Conway Twitty or seen pictures of him on stage in the 80's He wore just Jeans and a nice button up shirt), I believe Elvis would have went down that route, and would have done it in style!!!
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

Quote Originally Posted by ph10579
    I think he would have tryed new styles heading into the 80's(Has anyone heard of country singer Conway Twitty or seen pictures of him on stage in the 80's He wore just Jeans and a nice button up shirt), I believe Elvis would have went down that route, and would have done it in style!!!
    I don't think so, he hated jeans called them "field clothes" and liked flashy clothes even in his personal everyday wear. (as pictures show) What he would have done for a new style I do not have a clue. I think the two piece suits would have been better for the weight. IF he could have got back down to 175 I think he may have stayed with jumpsuits as they were best for action on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    I don't think so, he hated jeans called them "field clothes" and liked flashy clothes even in his personal everyday wear. (as pictures show) What he would have done for a new style I do not have a clue. I think the two piece suits would have been better for the weight. IF he could have got back down to 175 I think he may have stayed with jumpsuits as they were best for action on stage.

If he would have continued to wear the jumpsuits he would have been criticized and made fun more than he had been in the past. I pray he would have gave up the jumpsuits, even if he had lost weight. The jumpsuits were awesome from 70-74, but after that . I think Elvis probably wouldnt have went with the 2-pieces either, since he had already done that. I think EP would have with something like dress pants and a dress shirt, but you know it would still be flashy, and it would still show people he was the king.

The trademark jumpsuits were "cool" back in the 70's & other entertainers followed EP's lead in wearing them. EP didn't consciously try to start trends or change fashions, it was something that just happened naturally with him.

EP was always avant-garde in his tastes & would have continued to have been so had he lived. He didn't (live that is). Hence, he is forever stuck with that image from the 70's (which has been negatively stereo-typed by all of the 300+ pound impersonators that have emulated him since).

20/20 hindsight & ever changing fashion trends can always be harsh when looking back to times past.

Try to keep things in the proper perspective:

On stage, EP wanted his clothes FLASHY, "The Flashier, the Better." He wanted to portray a bigger than life image while on stage.

Mission Accomplished & Job Well-Done, EP.

Capt. "EL. / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    The trademark jumpsuits were "cool" back in the 70's & other entertainers followed EP's lead in wearing them. EP didn't consciously try to start trends or change fashions, it was something that just happened naturally with him.

EP was always avant-garde in his tastes & would have continued to have been so had he lived. He didn't (live that is). Hence, he is forever stuck with that image from the 70's (which has been negatively stereo-typed by all of the 300+ pound impersonators that have emulated him since).

20/20 hindsight & ever changing fashion trends can always be harsh when looking back to times past.

Try to keep things in the proper perspective:

On stage, EP wanted his clothes FLASHY, "The Flashier, the Better." He wanted to portray a bigger than life image while on stage.

Mission Accomplished & Job Well-Done, EP.

Capt. "EL. / N880EP
    ... just a fan ....

After thinking about I agree with you. I think the reason the jumpsuits are criticized so much is not because they were out of style then, but because trends have changed so much now days compared to then.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    As for abandoning the jumpsuits later on, I'd say it's a toss up.

IMO I feel he may have gone back to a style similar to the style used in 1969. As the 80's approached he might have even went to some more wilder/flashier colors (bright pink, green, purple).
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

I can only agree! To me Elvis looked very good in these two piece suits, that he wore in the spring of 1975. Especially the dark ones looked very good on him. By the end Elvis' idea to wear jumpsuits seemed to have gathered some dust. He should have changed to wear two piece suits without much glitter and gold.