Thread: Hitstory - Surprises!

Hitstory - Surprises!

I just got the US version of HITSTORY and have discovered some cool stuff! I haven't had time to listen to the other 2 discs yet but "30 #1 Hits" is not the same. I haven't A/B'd to see if same mastering job but I honestly don't think so. These are the changes I picked up:

Hound Dog - original speed
    A Fool Such As I - original version
    A Big Hunk O' Love - ORIGINAL SPLICED VERSION!!!!
    In The Ghetto - Original Version
    Suspicious Minds - Original Version
    The Wonder Of You - Original Version but different mix

It's like all the things wrong with the original 30#1 hits have been fixed!

Anyone else pick up anything interesting when listening?
    "I always liked that hillbilly."

-Waymore

I haven't gotten this one yet. Thank you for the tips!

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    THANKS WAYMORE44!!!

I was still undecided as to whether I would pick this set up or not, because of the duplication of E1 and E2 in the set, which of course I already own. But now that you are finding these corrections, so to speak, from the original E1, I might have to think twice about picking this set up!!

I would be interested to hear what you find when you listen to E2 and the new 3rd disc....would you mind posting any differences here when you have a chance to hear those discs please?

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!!
    TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I listened to the other 2 discs. No surprises that I caught. I will have to say that I am pleased with the corrections on disc 1 overall. The only thing that I'm a little weird about is

In The Ghetto
    Suspicious Minds

They sound like the original mixes which don't have the punch of the remixed versions. However "Suspicious Minds" used to aggravate me because of the harmony vocal being too low in the mix compared to the original and it sounded like flanging or chorusing was going on.

The Wonder Of You

Although it's the original version instead of the inferior alternate version from before, it doesn't sound as good. I still prefer the original mix on the original "On Stage" album even if it has overdubs.

There actually may be more differences but again I haven't A/B'd the original 30#1's with the new one.

-Waymore

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE WAYMORE44!!!

That is interesting that SUSPICIOUS MINDS, IN THE GHETTO and THE WONDER OF YOU don't sound like they were remixed....I wonder if they actually were, or if they were just slipped into the project at the last minute to correct the flaws from the original E1!!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of these songs after you have a chance to A:B them!!

TCB!
    Mike

i wont be buying this release,it is yet another time that bmg ( r.c.a ) are ripping the kings fans off.ill take it that everyone has got the no1 and second to none c.d.,s they put another c.d. on and expect us to buy it.there was a time when i bought everything that was put out, but now i have not got the money our the inclination to buy these things.i stick to buying the f.t.d releases

right thats me off my soap-box
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

I totally agree with geordie; I will not buy "Hitstory" - I will only stick to releases that are intended for the fans, that is cd's from FTD

Cadillac King
    Yes, I have E1/E2. i dislike them intensely. Especially E1 with all its mistakes. I wasn't going to buy HitStory, but now I might since they've fixed the mistakes.

Just because Sony/BMG is constantly recycling the same material doesn't mean anyone is getting "ripped off". We've all heard the material. We know what we're getting. Sony/BMG is NOT holding a gun to anyone's head. It's easy to say no. Try it--NO. See. That was easy. If you're not interested in what's released just say NO! Ripped off is a term that is overused on MBs.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryNodak
    Yes, I have E1/E2. i dislike them intensely. Especially E1 with all its mistakes. I wasn't going to buy HitStory, but now I might since they've fixed the mistakes.

Just because Sony/BMG is constantly recycling the same material doesn't mean anyone is getting "ripped off". We've all heard the material. We know what we're getting. Sony/BMG is NOT holding a gun to anyone's head. It's easy to say no. Try it--NO. See. That was easy. If you're not interested in what's released just say NO! Ripped off is a term that is overused on MBs.
    I DID SAY NO
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

THe 3rd CD is not very good as far as song selection when compared to the first 2 discs. The other thing is that none of disc 3 is remixed like the other 2. THey definitely didn't feel like spending the money to make it really good.

-Waymore

Thanks for the news waymore44

Upon A/B'ing the new 30#1's with the old one I've concluded that overall the original is more enjoyable although historically inacurate.

The new cd's "Hound Dog" is definitely better because it is the correct speed but that's as far as I'll go.

"A Fool Such As I" although the original performance does not compare to the sound of the alternate version on the original 30#1's. It is noisy in comparison. You can hear a rumble after the intro right before the Jordanaires start singing.

"A Big Hunk O' Love" although the original spliced version does not compare to the sound of the complete take on the original 30#1's. I suppose it's because the spliced version is down a generation. If they had spent the time to use the original takes and do a "splice" on pro-tools there would have been no generation loss. After listening to where the piano solo splice is, it is obvious that although it is a better solo, they were playing at a slightly faster tempo. Then when Elvis comes back in, they are back to the original tempo. With pro-tools I believe they also could have corrected the tempo problem that Ernst has talked about. Of course this would have cost studio time and money which they are not willing to spend. I understand why he always used complete take on all other previous projects.

"Suspicious Minds" and "In The Ghetto" are definitely the original mixes and cannot compare sonicly to the remixed versions. I do wish the remixed "Suspicious Minds" had the harmony vocal louder like the original.

"The Wonder Of You" although the original performance does not compare to the sound of the remixed alternate version on the original 30#1's. To me, it also doesn't compare to the original single mix either because the drums are too loud and the strings and horns are not loud enough. The question is: Why didn't they just remix the original version last time???

I just wish they would call me to do the next project.

-Waymore

THANKS FOR THE UPDATES WAYMORE44!!!

It sounds like RCA substituted accuracy for quality with Hitstory!! They corrected the mistakes from the original E1 release, but in turn didn't take the extra time to remaster the "corrected" songs so that they would sound like the rest of the songs on E1!!!

As for the third disc, you are right that the song list isn't exactly top notch, but there were a few songs on there that I thought would be worth hearing in a remastered quality....but they didn't even do that!!!

Well, for a brief time, I toyed with the idea of picking this set up....but now, with your latest report,I guess I'll just skip this one altogether!!!

TCB!
    Mike